Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Sherry
Default Dock time

We are schedule back from out Carnival Cruise on the 22nd of November but no one from Carnival can give me a clear time on what time we can get off the ship...I need to book a flight but not sure what time would be sufficient enough time to get to the airport and check in...I was told that they have to go through customs around 9:30 am but didn't say how long that would take...anybody got a clue...
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Brad Krewson

Default Re: Dock time

I would make your flight early to mid afternoon. It is worth the wait just in case. Give youself more time tthen less time. I have been on 5 cruises so far. It has never been past 10am we get off the ship. You still need to to get your bages, check out with the INS, get a cab or bus, drive time to the airport, ( Also Their is always more than 1 cruise ship at the port letting their people off to.) Going thru long lines at the airport. Flying is the fast way IF YOU have THE TIME. Now a days it is better to play it safe.

Have a great time on the cruise and enjoy. Take time to smell the ocean....

Brad

Old October 26th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Dock time

Hi Sherry,
A noon flight or after would be the safest bet, it all depends on how quickly the ship can clear customs and like Brad mentioned, there will be lines at the airport and security to go through, so allow some time for all of that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 26th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Yeoman

Regardless of stated arrival time, the ship will be firmly tied up before sunrise. They will want you off quickly and do everything in their power to shoo you along.

Clearing customs is the only hangup. You can be off the ship before 9:00 in most cases but the bus won't leave until it's full. If you are pressed for time, a cab is the best bet.

Why ruin a perfectly good cruise fretting over the flight home? Book an afternoon flight and go with the flow. We've had tablemates who couldn't talk about anything else but making their connections getting home. A real pain.

You will be in the weekend before Thanksgiving crowd, if there is one this year. One nut going through security could hold things up.

Give yourself plenty of time and smile at the hysterics.
Old October 26th, 2002, 09:44 PM
First Mate

NEVER EVER book a flight departing before Noon!

You're in Port early but there's no guarantee that you'll be off the ship before 10:00 am - THEN you have to get to the airport and clear Security............as far as I'm concerned it's the WORST DAY of the trip!

Old October 27th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Yeoman

Move to Florida. You are out of the parking lot by nine, home around noon (with your bags), caught up on mail by dinner, which wife has had time to go shopping for. Best day of the cruise.
Old October 28th, 2002, 04:00 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie
Default Re: Re: Dock time

We are getting ready to take our first cruise so I dont have any experience other than what we saw in Sept. when we went to a wedding on board the Elation. We were supposed to be on board for this wedding by 11:00am and were delayed because people were still being let off the ship at 12:00. We were not able to board until 12:30 and the poor bride had only a half hour to get ready for her wedding. It was still a beautiful wedding and we returned home and booked our cruise the next day!

Almost there...

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Carnival Pride - Nov 2007
Paradise - Sept 2005
Carnival Pride - Nov 2004
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Carnival Pride - Nov 2003
Elation - Nov 2002
Old October 29th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Admiral

I disagree with you, Don... even if you live in Florida it's still the worst day of the cruise, because you're no longer cruising!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 29th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Yeoman

Michelle...I'm only good for five days and most cruises last seven. I miss my chair and my pillow. Someone asked my wife if I believe in life after death and she said that I don't believe in life after supper.