Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Jenny56

Default Passenger Overboard

Looking for information about what happened on the Carnival Destiny ship the night of October 26, 2002. Friends aboard ship heard that someone had fallen overboard and they watched the coast guard conduct a search. They would like to know if the person was rescued and anything more about how they happened to fall overboard.
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Passenger Overboard

Hi Jenny,
There is already a thread on the Carnival board, but the details seem to be very sketchy at this point, would sure love to know the "real" story, here is the link:
http://cruise-forums.com/forums/read...=21470&t=21470

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 29th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Admiral

This is an interesting site, look under "Events at Sea" - nothing there as of yet about the Destiny, but maybe it will be there soon...

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 30th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Patticake

Default Re: Re: Passenger Overboard

Great site but it didn't list the woman that died from a fall in an earlier thread.
Old October 30th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Yeah, it says on there that it only gets its information from rec.travel.cruises. I guess they don't follow the other boards. Still pretty interesting though.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 30th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Admiral

I am getting the true story and after the FACTS are in I will try and get it straight for everyone.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old October 30th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Thanks Jim. Looking forward to hearing the truth.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 30th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Okay, here is what happened and is factual. About 1-1:30am there was a medical emergency onboard and to get immediate attention someone reported "Man Overboard" apparently thinking they would get quicker attention than just telling the truth. This definately got attention but not what this fruitcake wanted. The ship followed immediate emergency procedures and made a U-turn and notified the USCG of the report who dispatched a helo for search operations. The crew responded by making a count of all guest and crew to determine if in fact anyone was missing. This was not finished until approx 3am resulting in little sleep for the passengers OR crew that night. There were announcements made by both the CD and the Captian about what was going on and asking for understanding and cooperation. Some may not have heard these announcements because they were either unable to hear them in their rooms or just weren't paying attention or making too much noise speculating. Fact is these announcements were made. The turn was sharp and the crew did go into emergency mode and quite active, as well they should be in a reported situation like this. There were NO injuries, much less deaths reported concerning this incident. There was also no striking of any object in the water, no water flowing along the interior lower decks, no crewmen screaming down the passageways they were all going to die, and/or any of the other silly reports made here or on other cruise related sites. To put it bluntly, there IS NO STORY. I hope this ends it, or at least it should. Could it have frightened some passengers, certainly. Could it have been done differantly or rather should it have been done differantly, no.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old October 30th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Thanks Jim!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old November 1st, 2002, 08:40 AM
Jenny56

Thanks Jim and all who responded.

I will let my friend know. She was on the ship with her husband and they had a wonderful week but that night spoiled the memories a bit for them. She was really depressed about some poor person falling overboard and maybe dying. There were rumors of a fight that caused the incident. She saw a man crying and someone later told her that another person was led off the ship in handcuffs. Could that be the person who made the false report? Anyway this will probably make her feel a whole lot better. She was trying to listen to the announcements over the loudspeaker but you are right, there was a lot of noise from upset passengers being tossed out of their beds in the middle of the night when the ship turned sharply. They all ended up in the corridor in life vests.

Jenny
Old November 1st, 2002, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Passenger Overboard

Hi Jenny,
I really don't know who or if anyone was arrested for anything and won't speculate but it is of course possible that it may have been the person that made the false report, but it could have been for some other reason as well that had nothing to do with it. That type of info would not be released and could not be released because of privacy laws I would think. Unfortunately whenever something like this happens there is always confusion and often times panic and rumors start flying which soon become 'facts' which only further panics people. It is human nature. There are lots of woulda, coulda, shoulda after the fact but hey, stuff happens. <G> You can see how out of hand it got on the CCL board and I took a bunch of flak for trying to just find out what happened and report what I discovered. Don't know what else other than asking people to step back and take a breath and let us get the official story, (which was asked and done), could have been done.
Jim