Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Sanjay

Default costs and tips

Hello,

I'm going on my first cruise in January with my family. We're taking the Coral Princess from Ft. Lauderdale to the Panama Canal and back. I was just wondering if anyone knew how much various things at the spa cost (i.e., massages) and if there were any general tips that people had.

I've read through some of the articles for first timers at this site (http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/firsttime), but that seems to be more about booking your first cruise than taking it.

What do you wish you had known before taking your first cruise?

Thank you.

sanjay
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Sanjay

Default Re: costs and tips

Oops, just noticed my wording. By "tips," I meant "advice."
Old October 30th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Hi Sanjay,

I am responding to your question about spa prices because until recently, I worked in the spa as a massage therapist on board ships. I have never worked on Princess, but as the concession is run by Steiner for whom I worked, you can expect to pay between 80 and 100 dollars for a 50 minute, full body massage.

I advise you to visit the spa on embarkation day and book early as the "good spots" (ie-sea days) fill up quickly. Talk to the massage therapists there, especially if you are used to having massage frequently as this will give you some kind of indication as to their training. Don't be afraid to ask questions or request a therapist if you speak to one that impresses you. Believe me, the therapists are hired by Steiner AFTER they have completed their official training so they are all trained VERY differently. Steiner is in the process of making some major changes in their spas and in thier personnel - the main reason why I will no longer work for them.

Also, be warned that they spa employees will try and sell you products with every treatment. I do not agree with this practice, although I do believe in homecare advice. Perhaps this is because in Canada, where I obtained my licence, massage therapy is a registered healthcare profession. Do listen to your therapists advice, but don't be pressured into purchasing anything.

Above all, have a wonderful cruise, and if you need more info re:spas on board, feel free to ask!

Ali
Old October 30th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: costs and tips

Sorry Sanjay,

Forgot to mention that the spas often run "port day specials" where you may find a discount in the treatment price. Also, they have seminars where you can sometimes win a free treatment or a discount....just check your daily newsletter!

Ali
Old October 30th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Admiral

The spas also offer daily specials that could be worthwhile to take advantage of those but like Sanjay says book early and they do try hard to sell you their products. As much as I wanted to do the spa treatments I can get the same thing down at home much cheaper so I forgo it.

Things I wish I knew on our 1st cruise. I did not know that everything purchased on the ship such as tours, drinks, merchandise, photos are put on the "ship" credit card issued to you so we really did not have the need for so much cash on hand.

We would have dressed even nicer. I had the one formal dress/suit but cruisin is different than a regular vacation. They do like you to dress better esp for dinner. We had nice clothes but every cruise thereafter we went all out with nicer clothes/shoes etc. Most people do this but there are some that have absolutely no regard for the standards set.

We enjoyed the photos taken and would have done alot more with the family to buy. This is usually the only time we are able to get the family photos done anymore.

Bring your own alcohol/soda drinks on board rather than paying for them.

On the tours that involved going to the beach bring extra clothes to change into.

Eat all meals period in the dining room. The food choices were better there and it was more elegant.

That's about all I can think of. Happy sailing!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 30th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Admiral

I think you'll be amazed at the level of service. No matter where we went or what we were doing they were there to take care of us. It really got us hooked on cruising.

Save the luggage if you can. The rooms are much smaller than regular hotel rooms and space is limited. Don't pack things you "might" use.

Bring a change of clothes in your carryon luggage. Sometimes the luggage is delayed in getting to your room.

Share, share and share. Share the camera, shampoo, etc. Don't duplicate.

Read the daily activity paper the night before and select the things you want to do the next day. Don't try to do everything. It'll drive you crazy!!

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 30th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Vash

Does anyone know how much other spa services (i.e. manicures, pedicures, facials, etc) roughly go for on a cruise?
Thanks,
Vashti
Old October 30th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: costs and tips

I can't say for sure, because it depends on the ship, but on the last ship I worked on (Seabourn Sun - prices were probably a bit higher than normal due to it being a 5 star vessel), manicures were $28, pedicures $35 (I think). You should expect to pay $20-30 for a manicure, $30-40 for a pedicure and $80-100 for a basic facial.

Hope it helps...
Ali
Old February 5th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Beginner

Default steiner

hi ali
i was reading your message and read that you said steiner is making changes to their spa and personel which is why you no longer work for them..
would do you mean?? what kind of changes, as i am going to an interview soon to work for them on the cruise ships as a hairdresser
thanx