Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Passenger

Default Electronic wrist band for seasickness

I could get no response in "Practical Advice" so I'll try here. Has anyone tried, or know someone who has tried the electronic ReliefBand? It is like a wristwatch, with the watch worn on the inside of the wrist. There are electrodes on the back, and the idea is to have electronic impulses (rather that pressure, like SeaBands) to prevent/relieve nausea. It sounds great (because it's the one remedy that you can wait till you are queezy to use), but is expensive. I would like some feedback before buying one.
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Electronic wrist band for seasickness

Hi DonPat,
Sorry, haven't heard of that until your post, must be something new. Are either of you normally prone to seasickness? You mentioned that this is expensive, how much?
I you aren't sure if you will become sick, there are many other remidies that are reasonably priced, like bonnine which you can pick up at your local pharmacy. Honestly, the way the newer cruise ships are build these days, you hardly feel any moving, unless you are in really rough waters.

Hopefully you will hear from a cruiser that has used this and can give you some feed-back, good luck!

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 11th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Admiral

I've not heard of this either! I swear by Bonnine. Just bought enough yesterday for four of us to use on a 7 day cruise....it cost me $12.00 total.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old November 11th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Electronic wrist band for seasickness

Yes, I've gotten seasick on the last day of an Alaskan cruise and on the last day of a Mexican cruise. My problem is that I hate to take medicine just "in case" I get sick. We are signed up for a 16 day Panama Canal cruise (Miami to San Diego), and that would be a lot of drugs.

This ReliefBand is the only remedy I've heard of that you can use AFTER you start to feel sick. Yes, it's expensive -- about $100, but you can use it indefinitely with new batteries. A stronger, perscription version has FDA approval for chemotherapy nausea.
Old November 12th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Carole Dunham

I know Donna. Last week on Brilliance we only had one day that was a little rough. The rest of the time at night I felt like I was sleeping in a resort hotel and not on a ship, bummer.

Caroleb
Old November 12th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Carole Dunham

I've heard of it. Magellan's has been selling it for several years now. It has FDA approval as well, but for seasickness not chemo. I think the electrical impulses it emits stops the signal to your brain that it's time to get sick.

Carolebb
Old November 13th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Electronic wrist band for seasickness

Hi Carole,
So, how was Brilliance?? Any pics?

Thanks,

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 14th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Jeanny Mara

Default Re: Re: Re: Electronic wrist band for seasickness

Hi DonPat:

I think we're on the same cruise you're talking about! Over Christmas and New Years?
I've seen the electronic band in the Magellan's catalog too and thought about it, although I don't tend to get queasy except on very small ships. The only place it could possibly get rough is up the Pacific Coast but we've cruised that several times in early January and it was always as calm as a millpond. I think we may just take our SeaBands again...

Jeanny
Old November 25th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Passenger

Because I am prone to motion sickness, I use Bonine and the Relief Band when flying in a small 4 seater plane. I have had no problems with nausea when using this combination.