CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   London to Dover (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/241473-london-dover.html)

Roberta Klein November 11th, 2002 10:08 AM

London to Dover

We're departing on a Celebrity cruise from Dover next summer, and are making our own air arrangements, arriving in London a few days before the cruise. What's the most convenient (and cheapest) way to get from London to Dover? Thanks.

Chuck Palm November 11th, 2002 10:47 AM

Re: London to Dover

Just take the train from the airport to Victoria Station. There is a train from Victoria Station to Dover. I remember it taking about 90 minutes or so. I think it was about 80 quid (pounds) (roughly $120) round trip for two, as I remember. You can use your visa or mastercard to purchase your train ticket and get the very best exchange rate. That was in 2000, so prices may have changed somewhat. I doubt they have changed a great deal, however.

There are elevators in Victoria Station. Don't be stupid like us, and carry your bags up the many flights of stairs from level to level.

In Dover, be sure to take the double decker bus tour around town and do spend some time at the castle. It is beautiful and most interesting. There are a lot of B&Bs very close to the train station in Dover. Often the proprietors of the B&Bs will take you to the cruise terminal in their personal cars. Otherwise cabs are available.

There are some wonderful pubs in Dover. Please have a pint for me. Cheers!

Please e-mail me at palmc@attbi.com, should you have further questions. You are also free to call me at 360 604-7041 and I'll be glad to tell you more.

Don G November 11th, 2002 11:23 AM

Do what Chuck says and the enjoyment will begin when you arrive in England. This is one time checking bags through to the ship pays off.

If you're not comfortable with that, you might consider one of the services that ship your baggage from your home to your room on the ship and back. A bit expensive but you don't have to fool with luggage during any part of the journey and you know it will get there.

mbuckellew November 11th, 2002 11:29 AM

I agree. I just love taking the trains in Britain. They're clean, convenient, cheap, and comfortable.

Wise decision to spend a few days in London before the cruise. That way you can get over jet lag, and enjoy the many, many sights and attractions London has to offer.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

twizzel December 1st, 2002 05:10 AM

As a londoner take the train from London Bridge to Dover Priory(closest station to port). There is a free bus connection to the port. A month return ticket is about 30 each

james233 June 11th, 2013 05:19 PM

Me and my husband used Dover Taxi from London to Dover, then back at the end of our holiday.

We found them to be very reliable and reasonably priced.

storybookcruises.com June 11th, 2013 06:22 PM

Not a good idea to take a taxi!

Hope you're not just posting that to advertise for that taxi company because you would need to have at least 6 people to put in the taxi, which obviously is not going to happen. They are the most expensive way to get from Dover to London, so it's only for those who have alot of money to spend. Taxis run about $200 plus gratuity (figured another $20 - $30) one way whereas a train takes less time and only costs $35 per person. You can also do a bus or the cruise line's transfers for less money than a taxi.

Pete

Phil&Liz June 11th, 2013 06:48 PM

Resurrected an 11 year old thread !!

Snoozeman June 11th, 2013 07:00 PM

As many have said the train is very easy.

Also most cruise lines have shuttle buses that will take you from several points in London direct to pier. Good if you have extra luggage.

Pete, there are taxi's and there are taxi's. What you say may be true for London taxi's that would take you to Dover, but there are 'out of zone' taxi companies that are very reasonable. If you use Dover taxi over London taxi it is probably a fraction of the cost. For example, I like to stay in Windsor. If I take a London taxi from the airport it will cost an arm & a leg, but if I arrange pick up by Windsor taxi it is very reasonable. I'm guessing it's the same for Dover taxi and a good choice especially for couples with bags that would prefer the convenience.

Snoozeman June 11th, 2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil&Liz (Post 1475961)
Resurrected an 11 year old thread !!

....yeah I noticed that, but was half way through typing my reply......

How are y'all getting there in September?

We're staying in Canterbury night before sailing.

storybookcruises.com June 11th, 2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1475963)
Pete, there are taxi's and there are taxi's. What you say may be true for London taxi's that would take you to Dover, but there are 'out of zone' taxi companies that are very reasonable. If you use Dover taxi over London taxi it is probably a fraction of the cost. For example, I like to stay in Windsor. If I take a London taxi from the airport it will cost an arm & a leg, but if I arrange pick up by Windsor taxi it is very reasonable. I'm guessing it's the same for Dover taxi and a good choice especially for couples with bags that would prefer the convenience.

Actually, it was the Dover taxi I was quoting at $200. MUCH higher than taking the train. Don't know what any of the non-metered taxis would be. We just took the train and found it comfortable, quick, and easy.

Pete

zydecocruiser June 13th, 2013 04:04 PM

Given the amount of luggage we will most likely have, neither the bus nor the train is appealing.

$200 doesn't seem so bad. 200 pounds would be pushing it.

Who are you booking with, Snooze? We will be staying in Dover 2 nights prior to our cruise.

Snoozeman June 15th, 2013 01:36 PM

Yes $200 seems good to me considering that's from airport to pier. Eliminates a lot of steps. That's US$ too and would cover any tips on site I saw.

We actually have a rental car this time Bill. Staying in Windsor and Canterbury.

If a person was flying in day of sailing the Dover taxi options are very good choice for convenience.

zydecocruiser June 16th, 2013 03:27 PM

We will be staying in Dover 2 days prior to cruise and will be exploring from there. Where can I find a $200 fare?

Snoozeman June 17th, 2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1476372)
We will be staying in Dover 2 days prior to cruise and will be exploring from there. Where can I find a $200 fare?

I googled "Dover Taxi" and got 3-4 different taxi services.

zydecocruiser June 18th, 2013 01:18 PM

Okay - I wss seeing rates more in the 200 GBP range for the crap we take but did find one that might be around $200

British Airports Cars - Bookings to and from all London airports, surrounding areas and cruise ports

Snoozeman June 18th, 2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1476540)
Okay - I wss seeing rates more in the 200 GBP range for the crap we take but did find one that might be around $200

British Airports Cars - Bookings to and from all London airports, surrounding areas and cruise ports

try this: Our Prices | Dover Taxis

135 Dover to Heathrow