Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Suzie

Default Time allowance

I am making my own airline arrangements to FLL for a Saturday to Saturday cruise out of Port Everglades. Ship leaves at 5PM and back to port at 7AM. I hear its a short taxi ride. I can get a deal on a flight arrival at 11:30AM, probably enough time for boarding by 5PM emmbarkation. My return flight will leave FLL at 12:30PM after ship arrival at port at 7AM. Do you think that this is enough time for customs, immigration, transfer to airport and check-in?
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Time allowance

Suzie:
These sound like VERY good times. The only thing that could be better is coming in the day before. This allows a cushion in the event of weather or mechanical delays, especially in the winter. The 12:30 flight after the cruise is just about perfect. It will allow you enough time even if there is a delay in departing the ship.

Take care and have a great cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

A neighbor of mine had not one but TWO cruises ruined by the same "rookie mistake": his insistance on flying out on the day of the cruise, rather than a day in advance, so as to avoid paying for a hotel. On the first occaision, a winter storm caused him to "miss the boat"; on the second, it was a mechanical delay, with much the same result-- great inconvenience, stress, and extra expense getting to the first port of call. After the first fiasco, I told him he oughtta fire his lame-brained travel agent for not warning him of the possibility of this happening-- but I guess he didn't listen, since he put himself in the same position the following year. The moral of the story: a few extra bucks for a night at the Motel 6 or whatever is, like travel insurance, a very small price to pay for the peace of mind.

Please listen and learn, Suzie! Wishing you smooth sailing...jeph
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Suzie,
I booked almost the same time flights for a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale too, I think you'll be fine. The port is right next to the airport, so the taxi ride should be around 10 minutes or so.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 17th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Suzie, your times sound fine, but for peace of mind I always go out the day before. There are several low cost hotels around the airport and downtown. Priceline is also a good bet. For a good deal (except for Oct30, 31 sailing) do Priceline, downtown, 2.5 stars and about $45-50 to start. Don't go too high. You will usually get Amerisuites which has free shuttles from the airport and to the ship and breakfast. Not bad.
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:33 PM
First Mate

Weather is a problem all throughout the year not just winter. Thunderstorms and fog have cancelled our flights many times. I agree if you can fly in a day earlier it is worth the cost of a motel for peace of mind. Otherwise make sure you have travel insurance.

Old July 17th, 2004, 08:09 PM
First Mate

I would at least come in the day before, going home is no problem if you miss your flight. You would had a wonderful time on your cruise, so who cares!

Lately the airlines are always overbooking flights, cancelling flights, have weather problems especially if it's a connecting flight. You never know.

I've missed connectiing flights because of bad weather, but I wasn't cruising at the time....good thing.

You want to be stress-free to enjoy your cruise. Consider at least coming in the day before.

2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Suzie

I'd like to thank all who responded to my question. The recommendations are very helpful. I think I'll take your advice of flying in a day early. Much thanks again.

Suzie
Old July 21st, 2004, 08:57 AM
Admiral

good choice on flying in the day before Suzie. Its just so much less stressfull. You have time to relax at the hotel, go for a swim, do a little shopping, have a nice dinner or whatever, gets you into the cruise "groove". We have stayed at the Marriott Marina and the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale, both were great. If you are looking for a good restaurant for dinner - go to the Biminy Boatyard, its right on the water, casual/nice with really good seafood. Have your TA make your reservations like 3 months in advance, that's how popular this place is.
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:14 AM
Admiral

If you plan on flying in the same day, you should get travel insurance. Even if you fly in the previous day, you should get travel insurance. Get the hint?

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:07 PM
AR

Seems to me like the Cruisemates are really on the ball with this one. Your flight times are fine as long as there are no flight irregularities. I'd say your return flight is a mortal lock.

As for inbound, you'll be fine if your flight is on time. I agree that coming in the day before is the best idea, and I'm glad you've decided to do that too.

We always arrive at least one day ahead, sometimes two or three, sometimes more if we're interested in the embarkation port.