Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2002, 07:13 PM
First Mate

Default Best way to call home (USA)

Hello,
We will be sailing on RCI's "Adventure of the Seas" out of San Juan on Jan 26.
My question is, what's the best method of phoning home at the following ports: Aruba, Curcaco, and St. Martin? On past cruises, we have used AT&T pre-paid calling cards to call back to the states. We get them in packs of 30 minute cards from Sam's Club, although you really take a hit on the minutes (especially calling from Mexico-- a 30 min. card gave us 3 minutes!!) This will be our first cruise away from our 3 yr. old daughter, and we really need to "check in"! I'm guessing that calls from San Juan, as well as St. Thomas ,should be fairly easy with our calling cards, but these other 3 ports have me wondering. What do you seasoned veterans do about calling home? (I already know what you're thinking, "We NEVER call home!!" ) Thanks for any info in advance!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Best way to call home (USA)

Virtually every Port you mentioned has a calling center right on, at or near the Pier. They are used by many crew members and "in the know" passengers. Generally, there is a reception desk where you give the number you wish to call and then a series of booths. They assign you a booth and you pay them for the call, generally in cash (USD), when you are finished. It works quite well (in San Juan and St. Thomas too) and is quite economical. We use these facilities all the time.

Post Edited (12-30-02 20:23)
Old December 30th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Best way to call home (USA)

Do you think a cell phone will work? Maybe aquire some roamming charges?

Carnival Truimph
Old December 30th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Best way to call home (USA)

I've also used these facilities in the past, and found them to be pretty darn expensive, if not down-right highway robbery. I realize that one must pay for the convenience, but I was just wondering if companies like AT&T offered more competitve rates by using their operators and such.
Old December 31st, 2002, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Best way to call home (USA)

i have used the calling centers in the past, yes they are expensive, but you pay for the convenience, the cruise ship personnel use them a lot. If all you want to do is check in and say a quick hello then i think this is the way to go. Cell phones are ok if you can locate a signal- watch out for those roaming charges- unless your plan includes international long distance - OUCH!!!
Old December 31st, 2002, 06:05 PM
NanD

Default Re: Re: Re: Best way to call home (USA)

We just returned from the SS Norway Christmas cruise and were on St. Maarten on the 25th. We called the US from the Cyberlink cafe (http://www.experienceparadise.com/db...3808/page.html) just minutes from the pier. The cost for a 10 min card was $10. I imagine as you buy more minutes the cost is less per unit. It was a modern building outside....air conditioned and clean inside. Booths in the rear for calling were quite private. As the name suggests, it was also an internet cafe. Credit cards were accepted payment.