CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (
-   -   Cozumel-safe to eat/drink? (

cricket55 December 31st, 2002 10:11 AM

Cozumel-safe to eat/drink?
Can you please tell me how safe it is to eat and drink aboard the tour boats that RCCL have booked for shore excursions in Cozumel. I notice they mention free margaritas (which I would assume are made from local water (ice) and salsa/chips etc. Does the cruise line provide the ice or water or is everything served on the snorkeling boat tour from local providers?

pamda December 31st, 2002 10:24 AM

Re: Cozumel-safe to eat/drink?
Hi, Cricket ...

I assume the local providers do the food and drink. The water on Cozumel is very safe. The margaritas may not be :) But not for reasons of local ice.

LisaK December 31st, 2002 10:27 AM

the tours thru the ship are pretty safe. The cruise lines will only use reputable vendors. We didn't have any problems with" Montazuma's Revenge" on our tour. Its the street vendors and some local cafes that you have to be very careful about. Alcoholic drinks are pretty safe, the alcohol pretty much will kill any bacteria that might be lingering in the ice.

PapaBill December 31st, 2002 02:31 PM

It is not likely you will have a problem with anything served. I would not drink water, (get bottled) . I like to stick to bottled beer and bottled soda (Coca Cola) and stay away from
water and or ice in my glass. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with prepared foods (salsa) or chips. I would skip buying food from street vendors or pushcarts .