Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Default Fairwind?

When in Barbados, there was a small ship docked next to us. I believe the name was Fairwind. The logo was of a crown so I thought it was Regal Cruises. However, I cannot find that ship listed for Regal and the logo looked different. Anyone have any ideas on what ship it was?

thanks,
marc
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2003, 07:04 PM
judycruiser

Default Re: Fairwind?

I think that was the Fairwind. It was the old Boheme of the now bankrupt Commodore Cruise Line. It sails for a foreign line; can't remember. the name of the line.

When the ship was old by Commodore in the 1980's, it was sold to the Church of Scientology. Don't know the history in the intervening years.

The Boheme was a great little ship; lots of fun. She was my second and third cruises in the 1970's.

I will be sailing on number 69 in March, 2003 and a back to back in May for cruises number 70 and 71. You don't think I'm addicted do you?

Judy
Old January 10th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Judy:

Thanks. I was getting confused since the Fairwind was the name of a Sitmar ship, bought by Princess, and now named Albatross. Your saying that this may actually be named Fairwind "now" and I should be able to get information using name Boheme?

thanks,
marc
Old January 10th, 2003, 08:18 PM
judycruiser

Default Re: Re: Fairwind?

Marc, now that I think about it. We were both wrong. You saw the FREEWIND in Barbados.

I was also on the Sitmar Fairwind. Sitmar was a classy line.

Judy
Old January 10th, 2003, 08:21 PM
judycruiser

Default Re: Re: Re: Fairwind?

Yes, the FREEWIND is the old Boheme.
Old January 13th, 2003, 10:09 PM
First Mate

I sailed on Sitmar's Fairsea in 1978 when we rendezvoused with her sister ship the Fairwind in the open sea off the coast of Mexico for a total eclipse. I agree. Sitmar was a very classy line, and its Italian cuisine was still the best I've enjoyed on any line. Thanks for bringing back the memory!

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old January 14th, 2003, 08:01 AM
David Starkey

I have not sailed on a cruise since the Sitmar days that has offered the total class and wonderfull Italian food that the great Faiwind and Fairsea offered. ( I have sailed 25 cruises since the Sitmar ships, but always find myself reflecting back to Sitmar days to compare cruises. Its so sad that there are no "real Italian" ships left cruising. Costa doesn't even count.
Currently I have been sailing with Celebrity, and enjoy the excellent service, but still I miss all the great pasta.
Old January 14th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Admiral

David:

You should have tried the pasta we just had on the Seven Seas Mariner!!! You might want to look at giving Radisson a try!

marc
Old January 15th, 2003, 11:45 AM
David Starkey

Marc,
I have found Radisson to be a little too pricey to bring the entire family. We usually cruise with our two teens and that additional cost on this line would be just too much, but thanks for the suggestion. By the way, did you know the original owners and founders of Silver Sea's line was the same family that owned Sitmar.They have since sold the line but I know the Staff and food were Italian and bet the food is excellent. (to pricey for my budget)