Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Jo Ann

Default upgrade

I hear of people often getting upgrades. How does this happen. I have cruised only twice before and in oceanview rooms, but would love to get a middle range deck sometime....how can I try for an upgrade? We always book 6 months or more in advance, thought that might be the problem Do they give the best rooms to the last people booking?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: upgrade

Hi Jo Ann,
A few times we've booked a "guarantee" cabin in hopes for an upgrade. When doing this though, you need to book the least catagory cabin you'd want, in case thats what you get. Always talk to your travel agent and see if you can book that way, unless you want a specific cabin, then book it that way.

Here is a link to an article that explains booking a "guarantee" catagory cabin:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...guaranteed.cfm

Here is one that gives some information on getting an upgrade:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...r/upgrades.cfm

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 10th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Jo Ann... you basic premise is wrong... the "best location" varies from ship to ship and is not always a "middle range deck" (whatever that is). As an example, the most expensive suites on the Millennium class vessels are aft... with the best of the best, the Penthouse suites, being at the stern. Your t/a can give you some good help with this. What is "good" on one ship may be far from good on another.

Old January 11th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Yeoman

I thought a guaranteed room was just that; you were guaranteed of getting that room.

Booking by category meant they could put you anywhere in that category with the possibility on an upgrade.

Since I don't like surprises, I guarantee the room I want after exhaustive, usually futile, research.

The times I didn't, received at least a two category upgrade. Once after booking with a $99 coupon.