Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2003, 12:15 PM
OnABudget

Default Bringing your own Booze?

Hi there,

We are first-time cruisers. We are going to Disneyworld for a week before and after the cruise, and are cruising on Royal Caribbean's Nordic Empress for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise.

We have travelled to the caribbean side of Mexico six or seven times, but have never cruised. We have a question regarding alcohol.

We are on a budget, the three week trip is expensive and we are coming a long way from Western Canada (and our money is worth nothing! =) We were thinking that a way for us to save some money would be to bring our own alcohol on the ship, and have some insulated coffee mugs to have our drinks in. Are we allowed to bring our own alcohol on the ship? I know that this is probably frowned upon, so I don't need a lecture on how the trailer-park trash should just stay home (that's the reply I got on another web site).

Thanks so much in advance for any information that can be provided.
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Bringing your own Booze?

If you are bringing your own booze pack it in plastic ziplock bags in your shipped luggage - not in your carry on. We have used plastic flasks and they fit perfectly in a gallon ziplock. Never had a problem with leaks. You are right - your $$ makes travel very expensive.
Old January 12th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Yeoman

As with other things in life, everyone does it, just don't talk about it.

I was on one ship where people boarded with a cases of beer on their shoulders. Most cruise lines frown on the practice since they charge an obscene price plus 15% gratuity for every sip of liquor or soft drink.

The shuttles from Orlando to Port Canaveral will stop at 711s.

You might notice carry ons being placed on surveillance conveyors very carefully. I pack mine in luggage left with porters.

Ice is supplied to staterooms several times a day. More and more staterooms are equipped with refrigerators. I think they know what is going on.

That said, how to do it. First thing is pack so if it breaks, your clothes don't get soaked. Plastic soft drink bottles solve part of the problem, liquor bottles are surprisingly sturdy. Ziploks and underwear padding work for us. Second is to figure what you will actually consume in your stateroom. Don't want to have to haul it back off.

I say stateroom because if you appear on deck clutching a liter bottle of coke or fith of Rebel Yell, someone will say something.

Take what you need and don't feel too guilty. Judging from the folks who show up for dinner with an obvious head start have figured it out. And don't worry about the blue noses on the message boards calling you trash. They are probably the ones still chewing as they leave the dining room.

More than you ever wanted to know.
Old January 12th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Take a couple of liter water bottles and pour the water out and fill it with your favorite white alcohol (rum, gin, vodka). Put these bottles in your carry-on luggage so you know it is not getting tossed around in your luggage with the good clothes in it.

My last trip on RCI (Sept. 2002) the policy read "we have the right to refuse or limit the amount of alcohol passengers may bring" blah, blah, blah. To me this means they will allow you to bring it but don't show up with a two-wheel dolly with cases stacked 5 high. They are not trying to prevent people from bringing a bottle or two of alcohol to enjoy in their rooms. I think the policy is there to stop abuses. Glasses are provided in your room and the cabin steward will keep the ice bucket full for you.

Regards,

Thomas
Old January 13th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Bringing your own Booze?

as with everything else- moderation is the key. If you have an obvious bottle of liquor in your carry-on luggage, chances are it will be confiscated. The water-bottle filled with gin or vodka is an old trick that usually works, i have never heard of a cruise ship person asking you to open your water so that they can take a sniff!!!! If you are worried about carrying it on, then pack your alcohol in plastic flasks inside a ziploc bag and surround it with socks and undies.
Old January 14th, 2003, 12:55 PM
emgrace

I just posted a comment about this in the "Carnival" section. We were planning to put some vodka or Gin in empty water bottles in our carry-on. I'm not worried about the cruise staff opening it to take a "sniff", but I wonder if airport security will. Any thoughts?
Old January 14th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Yeoman

Airport security may now require you to take a drink of any liquid consumable to prove it isn't toxic. Some disgusting stories have resulted in the inevitable lawsuits and talkshow fodder. I'm considering packing my Jim Beam just to hold up the line while I drink the whole thing!
Old January 14th, 2003, 07:10 PM
rodlafond

I can't speak of RCCL specifically because we cruise on Princess. We generally pack plastic bottles in our checked bags every year and have not had a problem.

Over the past ten years boozing it up has become socially less acceptable and the cruiselines do want to err on the side of personal safety. With that said, Princess cruises still understands that we who pay to go on their ship for vacation are customers and treat you as such. RCCL should treat you with the same respect.

The only cruiseline that I have seen a problem on was Carnival. There the security staff acted as if everyone who wanted to have a cocktail in the privacy of their stateroom was a spring breaker. Never Again!
Old January 15th, 2003, 02:12 PM
martinimomma.

Pack whatever you want to drink in your checked bag, not your carry on. Airline security will make you take it out and drink it, or pour it out. Better safe than sorry! Bon Voyage.
Old January 15th, 2003, 03:48 PM
MARK101

Buy it before you cruise, not before you fly. Then I would follow the
suggestions about using water bottles. This way no hassle w/airport
security. Thats what we are going to do.

Mark