Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Default Senastion Thrusters...

This is a ship specific question. I know that Sensation is a Fantasy class ship. And that later ships in the series, Paradise and Elation, use Azipod thrusters. But, I haven't been able to find out anything specific about what kind and how many thrusters the Sensation has. I'd like to know just for my own nagging technical curiosity--my wife loves it when I talk nautical but nice.

Steve

P.S. Now it's under the right category.
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Senastion Thrusters...

That's why I pass the time in the terminal hanging around the ship's models.

The larger ones have as many as three bow thrusters.

Noticed the pods on the new mega ships are much farther forward than the traditional stern installatons.

The pods make a lot of sense for a lot of reasons but, If one gets sheared off, unlike a Z drive, you've lost the entire propulsion system. Best response I've received to that question so far is that they don't intend to get close enough to anything to knock one off.

When it does happen, I told you so.
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Senastion Thrusters...

I've also noticed in the photographs I've seen that Azipods are mounted so close to the keel that with the forward mounting of the props, they don't look like they could have a full azimuth of rotation. The blade tips would strike the keel. Of course, that may just be the result of compressing a 3 dimensional idea into 2 dimensions.

And thanks for the tip about the models in the terminal, I'll certainly take a look at those.
Do you know if they sell models of individual crusie ships at the terminal? I'd like to get one as a keepsake.

Steve
Old January 18th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Yeoman

The models I'm referring to are about ten feet long with one side cut away to see the interiors. Not aware of any smaller ones available for sale.

The Raddison Mariner doesn't have a rudder, depends solely on the pods for directional control. The Captain admitted to some qualms about that and discovered on his own during sea trials that the fairings produced some directional control above ten to twelve knots.

A retired ship's master and I had a long, very informative discussion with the Captain about this latest innovation. I was concerned about their vulnerability while the former master was convinced that eventually the seals would leak and that an electric motor immersed in sea water wouldn't work very well. The Captain admitted those were valid concerns but he would still keep his ship.

Found it interesting that although they can be tied together and controlled with a traditional helm, during maneuvering they are operated independently with joysticks. If you weren't paying attention you could have them working against each other. The pods on Mariner did pivot 360 degrees.

The American Queen has bow thrusters and Z drives augmenting the paddle wheel. They would spin that thing around within her own length. Not quite what Mark Twain had available.
Old January 18th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Don, I found a couple of websites that sell models of the Carnival ships. A 1:500 scale brass and resin model of the Fantasy class ships costs about $1200.00, mounted on a mahogany base-- too big and too steep for my den. I'l spend that kind of money on cruising, not models. At the other end of the price scale, I found a site that sells 1:1500 scale models of the same ships for about $100.00. That one will certainly fit nicely in the den and the bank account. I will ceratinly check out the models while I'm in the terminal.

My first trip on a "high tech" freshwater vessel was from Port Clinton to Put in Bay. The helm looked more like the space shuttle than a ferryboat. I had never been on a joystick steered boat and spent the trip watching the action from behind the helm. The pilot used the rotatable throttles--they looked like miniaturized engine room telegraphs--to maneuver in and out of the dock. The joystick was used on the open lake for minor course corrections. Since that was 10 years ago, I imagine that the pilot now probably only touches the joystick to avoid the waverunners that make a sport of trying to run between the boat's twin hulls. Cheap beer and idiocy is a dangerous combination.

I wondered how they managed the fuel efficiency of today's paddle wheel cruisers. Now I know.

Steve
Old January 19th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Senastion Thrusters...

Steve,

I was informed by the Captain on the SOS that steering now is done entirely by computer and he is there it override it if needed. His ship will undock itself at home port and dock in the next port automatically taking in to consideration tides, currents, wind direction and speeds. He watches for unforeseen events to the plan.

In fact, the ship will sail without him, the Chief Engineer, the First Officer, the Hotel Director or the Staff Manager. The only person who must be on board for it to sail is the Doctor ! !

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 19th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Yeoman

That scares the hell out of me. Some super tankers sail with less than ten crewmembers. Once in open ocean, they can (and sometimes do) stay in bed.
Old January 19th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Admiral

About twenty years ago, a novel by Justin Scott, "The Ship Killer," explored that very scenario. No one on lookout aboard a supertanker; a becalmed yacht gets crushed, killing the wife of the yachtsman. The yachtsman makes it his life's mission to sink the supertanker. A good sea yarn! Take a copy for your next cruise when you feel like reading.

Steve
Old January 20th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Admiral

I think I found the answer to my question:

STABILIZERS
BOW THRUSTERS (3) 2,040 hp ea--I assume these are transverse tunnel type
STERN THRUSTERS (3) 2,040 hp ea.
TWIN RUDDERS (Individually Controlled)--sounds rather like the toe-in of a car.
DIESEL ELECTRIC
PROPULSION SYSTEM 6 Medium-Speed Engines
Developing Approx. 56,000 hp (41.8MW)

It was rather deep in the Carnival website. I just had to phrase the search correctly.

Steve

19 days until Sensation.