Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Passenger

Default Why so $$$$ for a single crusier?????

Hi-we are sailing on RCI NOS 03/01/03, family of 4, my single brother wants to join us, but he has been quoted a single rate that is outrageous!!! Yes, he wants his own room, Why does a cruise ship charge more and punish single cruiser? Wouldn't it make economical sense for a ship to book all rooms, whether it is a single or double occupany, rather than sailing with empty cabins?? Does anyone know where he can offer a rate (like priceline.com) for RCI NOS? any help will be greatly appreciated?
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Why so $$$$ for a single crusier?????

Jayne,
Cruiselines do not work with Priceline or any other agency where you make an offer and the accomodate you and there are no plans for such as far as I know. The ships do all sail at capacity and there are very few rooms that remain unsold unless they want them to for use by entertainers, temporary ship's staff, or maintainance. The reason they give for having a single supplement is that the going rate of a cabin is based on double occupancy, or at least two per cabin and that basically covers only the cost of operating the ship if that. All profit basically comes from onboard sales of gambling, retail sales, alcohol, tours, etc. If they charged a single only what one person pays while taking up two spaces they lose money. If you notice the hotels etc all charge a rate base priced for two or a small supplement for an extra person, same principle, you are taking up just as much space as two people.
Jim

Old January 17th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Why so $$$$ for a single crusier?????

Jim---any possibilty on waiting to the last minute on NOS 03/01/03 for my brother to get a good deal, if so when should he look for that last minuet deal?
Old January 17th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Why so $$$$ for a single crusier?????

Jayne,
Most of the time last minute sailing cost more and you may not even be able to get onboard. Ask your TA is they have any single share programs where they pair you up with another. Some would not consider it as you likely end up sharing a cabin with a complete stranger but some enjoy that sort of thing. You can also see if your TA might be able to fix him up with someone to share that books through the same agency. I know it is a sore point among the singles and see their point. Trouble is, I also see the point of the industry. There is also a singles message board right here at cruisemates that folks also try and find others to share cabins. Best of luck.
Jim

Old January 18th, 2003, 07:46 AM
lysolq

The single cruiser supplement charged by cruiselines (usually 50% - 100%, less port charges) is outrageous and would never be tolerated landside. Likewise, there are other cruise fare practices that wouldn't be tolerated either. Who would ever think of booking a hotel room without a window, or paying more for a hotel room on the third floor than the identical room on the second floor?
Old January 18th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Why so $$$$ for a single crusier?????

Jayne,

Contrary to what Jim said I've found last minute bookings to be much cheaper than those who've booked a year in advance. We live in Florida so we can drive to the ports and avoid the last minute plane fares which really hurt. And this makes a big difference in our vacation costs. We always book about a month in advance when the ticket prices have dropped dramatically to sell those last cabins before departure.

I'm currently watching on a daily basis the price of a specific cruise we are going to take for a family reunion in June. We will have about 16 cabins booked for this and when I first started looking the price was nearly $150 per person per day. It is now down to $100 pp/pd and we've decided to book in March at whatever the price is then since we will need so many cabins and don't want to risk not getting everyone on board by waiting longer.

Your brother could sign up for the guaranteed share program and take a chance on getting a good roommate or getting a room by himself. On the other hand he may end up in a room with a jerk. Is there a possibility he can be an additional passenger in one of your rooms?

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 18th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Admiral

lysolq you wrote: "The single cruiser supplement charged by cruiselines (usually 50% - 100%, less port charges) is outrageous." No doubt about it - but Princess charges port charges for two people for a single traveler, which is even worse!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old January 18th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Radisson has a number of cruises where there is no (or minimal) single supplement. Check Cruise Bazaar off CM home page.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 18th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Why so $$$$ for a single crusier?????

When you pay for a hotel room your are already paying for two people. Try offering them half of the asking price and explain that there will only be one of you. They base their prices on double occupancy just as ships do. They, (ships), could just double the price and then say the second person is free, which is pretty much what they do when they advertise 'two for one' fares.
Jim

Old January 18th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Why so $$$$ for a single crusier?????

Thomas,
Why can't you get the lower rate when the price drops? Your TA should be able to do this up until final payment is due, if not then you need to find a TA that will. The nice thing about booking early is that you CAN get the lower fare if it goes down BUT you cannot be charged more when it goes up. Also, for the more popular sailings the prices can and often do rise as sailing date gets closer, not to mention the choice of cabins going down.
Jim

Old January 19th, 2003, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why so $$$$ for a single crusier?????

My TA has given us the lower rate in the past as the prices have dropped. But, in this case I have to rely on him to find them. I don't like doing that because I feel like I'm checking up on him by watching the fares myself. In our case we rarely are able to book a vacation much more than a couple of months in advance anyway. Since we both work two full time career jobs during the days and run our business at night and weekends we must take our vacations when the opportunity is right. Along with the cheaper fares, this is a reason we book last minute cruises.

REgards,
Thomas
Old January 19th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why so $$$$ for a single crusier????

We, (meaning most avid cruisers), actually do book mostly within four months of the cruise for many of the reasons Thomas stated. We know that we like cruising and are pretty sure of what we want and can expect and adjust for it in our selections. Newer cruisers, and those that are retired very often book considerably in advance. The advantages are air is often cheaper, your price is protected and in the case of the cruise can go down, and you have a better selection of cabins available. Yes I do recommend that people book early when they can but I can also say that we in many cases book very last minute. In fact, we will find out Monday if we are going on a three day quickey to the Bahamas this Friday, that's about as last minute as it gets. <>
Jim

Old January 21st, 2003, 10:17 AM
newcruzer

For your reference, I had good luck using google and entering "discount cruises." This brought up a bunch of agencies that had good last-minute offers; the prices fall the longer you can wait. I got a great deal (less than $100 per day including all charges) on Celebrity and a very nice single room with oceanview, booked 2 weeks ahead. You need to be savvy and do your own research, though; the agent I talked to wasn't very helpful with choice.
Old February 4th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Passenger

I book on yourowncabin.com and I don't pay a single supplement or have to share a cabin. They offer several different trips & work with several cruise lines. Most trips do appear to be within the next 4 moths of sailing. I knew I wanted to cruise & it was a good deal.