Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2003, 03:46 PM
R127

Default wedding proposal on cruise

I plan to propose to my girlfriend while cruising on the SS Norway. I'm looking for tips or suggestions as to where, when and how. I want it to be perfect but it's hard to plan since I have never been on the ship.
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: wedding proposal on cruise

I haven't been on the Norway, but just wanted to say awwwww! How sweet! Your girlfriend is lucky!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: wedding proposal on cruise

Hi R127,
There are many different ways to propose onboard any ship, do you want it private, public??? You can also talk to the Cruise Director once onboard for his/her suggestions........Congrats in advance, I just have a feeling she'll say yes!

Good luck and let us know what kind of plan you want to use, OK? Personally, I could see you our on deck after a nice dinner and asking her there, just a thought.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:15 PM
R127

Default Re: Re: Re: wedding proposal on cruise

Wow, that was quick. This is only a preliminary plan, but, I was hoping to somehow do it at the formal dinner the first night. I'm really having trouble coming up with something original. I am also thinking of getting the captain involved somehow.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: wedding proposal on cruise

Hi R127,
Since you mentioned getting the captain involved, usually on the first formal night there is some kind of "captain" cocktail party, may-be talk to him and set something up where he makes some kind of announcement during his speech??? May work?? What do U think?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:34 PM
R127

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: wedding proposal on cruise

Thats kind of what I had in mind. I am a latitudes member so I was considering the cocktail party. I also thought about having the captain approach her at dinner or the cocktail party and ask if her name is so and so and then say to her that he has a delivery for her. Then he hands her the ring. I also kind of like the idea of having him make her do a toast in her honor at the cocktail party or at dinner and then I could ask her.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: wedding proposal on cruise

Hey R127,
I love it!!! Thats a great plan. So, when is this cruise?? You must keep us informed, and I'm sure the Captain will help you out, gosh she'll be soooo suprised!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 22nd, 2003, 05:12 PM
Admiral

You sure? lol Kidding....good luck

Old January 23rd, 2003, 07:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

If it's Captain Juliussen - he sings! Maybe you could work that in...

Jo
Old January 23rd, 2003, 08:36 AM
R127

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: wedding proposal on cruise

I hope the other people going with me, especially my girlfriend, haven't found this website. If they see this I blew it! We are leaving on the Norway March 30th. Is there anyway to contact anyone on the ship by email so that I could have things planned ahead of time? It's really hard to try to plan for this. It would be nice to have an idea of what they could help me with before I get there.

On a side note, this was a last minute thing so I wasn't ready for all of this money wise. I only could afford an inside cabin. I read on another post that they will sell other cabins at the pier for a discounted price. Is this true? How do I go about it? I really wanted a balcony but I couldn't swing it at the time. If they are reasonable I would get it if possible.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 09:08 AM
Admiral

i am sure that this is not an unusual request for the cruise line. I would either talk to your travel agent and have them work it out for you, call the cruise lines customer information line to see if you can make arrangements ahead of time. I would also find the the cruise director as soon as you board and let him/her in on your plans to see if they can arrange something.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Be careful, though - you don't want her to think that the Captain is proposing!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 24th, 2003, 11:51 AM
R127

I tried the travel agent already, they told me to talk to the cruise director as soon as I get on the ship. I don't want her to get suspicious when I need to go talk to people to set this up. It would be great to be able to talk to the cruise director before we go.
Old January 24th, 2003, 01:00 PM
First Mate

How Great. My son proposed to his now wife on a cruise ship. Anywhere on ship is the perfect place. He did do it on Valentines day, which really made it special. but it was so neat and they were treated like a king and Queen when the head waiter was told of the proposal. Good Luck and just enjoy the entire vacation.. Char
Old January 24th, 2003, 01:10 PM
R127

It's going to be great as long as she says "yes"! I' will be when I can get a plan set, thats the hardest part.
Old January 24th, 2003, 01:40 PM
MARK101

AND, she hasn't found this site.
Congratulations R127 & good luck.

Mark

Post Edited (01-24-03 13:41)
Old January 24th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Admiral

My beautiful wife and I wish you a lifetime of the same happiness we have enjoyed.

Old January 25th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Given the fact that you are cruising together (same cabin?) I am not too sure that this proposal will come as a surprise.

Me, I would be mortified by a "public" thing for one of the more private moments in life.

Here's my thought ... ask the cabin steward for an extra pillow chocolate and wrap the ring in the paper. Then one thing could (ahem) lead to another and a resounding YES !!!
Old January 26th, 2003, 05:11 PM
suzannen

First of all, GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I applaud your courage and your sensitivity.

My advice: don't do it in public...pick a quiet place and time...I have sailed the Norway and she is my favorite ship.....here's my suggestions for the place:

Reserve one night during the cruise for the LeBistro.....order champagne (she'll wonder what's up????)
Do it then....

OR
wait till they are playing classical music in the Club Internationale...(I remember them doing this on the Captain's gala night.) Ask her to dance with you .....

Ideas for the ring presentation:
Have the bartender put it in the bottom of her champagne glass
Tie it onto a beautiful silk handkerchief and have the waiter tell her she dropped it...
Tie it onto your tuxedo bowtie in the back and ask her to help you straighten your tie...

I'm dying to know when this is going to happen...when are you sailing???? I'll be onboard 4/27 and would love to be a "fly on the wall"...!!!!
Old January 26th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Sue Sue

How about a marriage proposal on the bow of the ship, alone, ocean breezes, moonlight..... Ahh, romance . Maybe tip a photographer to be waiting in the wings?? Whatever you decide, Best Wishes to you both.
Old January 27th, 2003, 08:24 AM
R127

We are sailing out on March 30th. Many members of my family are going but only a couple know about my plan. They, of course, want to see it happen. Would most women prefer to have this happen in private instead of publicly? I don't think she will ever expect this is going to happen unless she finds the website!
Old January 27th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Familiar Face

My now-husband proposed to me on our first cruise together. He did it on the first formal night at dinner. Unbeknownst to me, at some point he spoke with the maitre d', who agreed to help. (I think he actually found him and spoke to him after leaving me for awhile during the day, making the excuse of needing something from the cabin.) After dinner, our waiter brought out a "special dessert," a covered dish wrapped up somehow with a napkin, and said it was "for madame," placing it in front of me. I kinda knew at that point, but it was still very exciting to open it and find the ring box! And just at that point, he popped the question. It was all very romantic and exciting-- and the fact that our friends were with us and witnessed it added to it. One piece of advice: if you do it in front of family or friends, make sure somebody has a camera on them to capture the moment! The lack of a photo of the occasion was my only regret.

Good luck to you both, and may your marriage be as happy as ours is!
Old January 27th, 2003, 09:49 AM
R127

I love that idea. I really wanted to do it at the formal dinner the first night.
Old January 27th, 2003, 10:05 AM
suzannen

Hey R=
These are all great ideas you're getting from different folks...I have to say that I'm so private, I just couldn't have borne it if my hubby did it in public...(and he COULD have just to embarrass me!) I have to say for myself: private.

When my husband proposed to me, (and dont' get any ideas from this!!OL)
it was right before Christmas....on Christmas eve, we were lounging in our ratty p.j.'s ....I was sitting on the couch...and he said, let's open just one present now....we'll do the rest in the morning...
Okay!

He handed me a huge box...I opened it.....there was a shoe box inside...I opened it...it had a pair of his dirty socks, wrapped together in it....yes, they were DIRTY socks...how gross!!! I picked them up and a ring box fell out....Inside the box, wrapped around the ring (gorgeous by the way) was a note that said, "This too, can be yours for the low, low price of eternity."

Old January 27th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Whether she would prefer it in public or private really depends on her personality. Is she an outgoing person? Does she like to be the center of attention? Then she might prefer a public proposal. Is she a quiet, shy, introverted sort of person? Does she dislike public displays of affection? Do you think she would be embarrased to have every eye in the dining room on her? Then she might prefer a more private proposal.

Personally, I would rather it be done in private; a special, intimate moment between the two of us.

If you would like to do it in the dining room on formal night, tell your girlfriend you need to confirm your table reservations with the maitre d'. Tell her it'll be boring, you're just going to stand in line for a while, and that it's just to make sure you're being seated with the people you want to be seated with at the right size table. Sit her down on deck with a frozen beverage (or send her out to explore the ship) and go talk to the maitre d' about your plan. (When you arrive on the ship, there will be a designated place and time for passengers to talk to the maitre d' to confirm table reservations - look in the newsletter in your cabin.) Also, do confirm your table reservations while you're talking to him; most Cruisemates recommend you do that anyway. Besides, then you're not lying.

Please, please, please come back and post to let us know where and how you did it, and how it went!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 27th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Sue Sue

With family on the same cruise R, you may want them to witness this wonderful occasion. But, since you are planning on a marraige proposal, you should know what is best for you. Definetly let us know how it all worked out.
Old January 27th, 2003, 04:06 PM
First Mate

As one who propose on a ship as I did to my now wife of 10 years there is a couple of pointers I need to tell you. HOwever you decide it will be the most romantic thing she has ever witness and she will talk about for years to come, with that said here is my story flying to LAX from Boston we reach the scanning booths she goes thru no problem I go through, the buzzer goes off so they say empty your pockets, I take everything except the ring out thinking that didn't set it off its gold not metal, I go through again buuuuzzzzzz so now they take me to the side and put the wand on me, they get to my pocket it buzz's my wife is now lauging I'm nervous thinking there goes my big plan I'M going to have to propose to her in the airport, as my wife turned her head I tell the guy that I have an engagement ring so he lets me go.Today that what work with all the new security. So here I am the the whole 6 hour flight to LA I'm thinking that I bought some piece of metal and I got ripped off. Finally the morning of the cruise I realize what set the buzzer's off, not the ring but the metal hinge of the box the ring was in. Knowing that I had to go through another metal detector at the port to board the ship I take the ring out of the box stick the box in my luggage, ring in the pocket and on the ship I went no problems........ So however you decide to propose just remember to take the ring out of the box before you hit those metal detectors. <VBG>

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old January 28th, 2003, 10:29 AM
R127

I have thought about that! I am going to have somebody else carry it for me. Thanks for the tip though.....
Old January 28th, 2003, 10:52 AM
First Mate

Gold not metal? News to me. I am not familiar with the technical aspects of today's metal detectors, but I don't think they're limited to ferro-magnetic materials (iron and steel), else things like keys and pocket change wouldn't be able to set off an alarm.
Old January 28th, 2003, 12:27 PM
First Mate

yes I do stand corrected gold is metal :0 but I never had my rings set off the alarms thats all I was trying to say

Post Edited (01-28-03 12:44)

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87