Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2003, 10:13 AM
A Newbie

Default An actual life boat drill question

I am curious about something and would like serious and mature responses only. I don't want to hear about peoples' thoughts about lack of brain cells and such. No holier than thou attitudes either.

SCENARIO:

You are at sea, and there are 4 people assigned to your cabin. In this example, lets say you have a cabin on the lowest deck of the ship. Person 1 is at the pool. Person 2 is getting a massage. Person 3 is playing basketball on the highest deck. Person 4 is in the kids program.

My concern is do all people go back to the cabin and retireve their own personal life vest? Does one person go and retrieve all 4? Does the person on the highest deck risk going all the way down to the lowest deck and retrieve their life vest ? Or do you just go to the muster station without a vest?

If in an emergency situation and someone was walking/running with more than one vest, would that cause disharmony or a commotion among other passengers?

Anyone know any kind of ratios as to how many cruises and actual emergency situations? I have seen the news about a few, but not an overwhelming amount compared to how many cruises go by with smooth sailing.

Anyhow thanks for your info and help.
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2003, 10:28 AM
Linda T.

Default Re: An actual life boat drill question

Hi,
You would go to your muster station from wherever you are. They have life vests for everyone there. I've never been in an emergency on a ship before but when I was on Carnival Sensation I had my handicapped sister with me and I was told that a crew member would be assigned to her to carry her to the muster station if needed. It made me feel safer with her.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: An actual life boat drill question

in an actual emergency you get yourself to your muster station, if your cabin is on the way, great- get all lifejackets if not then not. The muster drills are scheduled and you know when they are so there is really no excuse not to have your lifejacket for the drill.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Depends on how great the emergency is. If it is anything but a 'be prepared' type where they suggest you report to your stations 'in case' then just go to the muster station. Like one said, IF the cabin is handy or on the way fine, grab them all but mostly get to your station quickly, there are more than enough lifejackets available there.
As for the number of times cruiseships have had serious problems, you could count them on one hand over the last 50 years. Precautionary measures have only been taken about a dozen or so times.
Jim

Old January 23rd, 2003, 04:33 PM
Sue Sue

You know, I've been to several muster drills and can't recall what is said if your muster area is unavailable?? For instance, the emergency is occuring in your assigned area of the ship and it is unsafe. I would believe that you are to listen for announcements or do they give plan B during the drill? I should know this answer , but I just can't recall if they make any official annoucement at the drill.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 08:27 PM
Passenger

What an excellent question & what excellent answers - Thank you all
Old January 24th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Yeoman

I recall being told at one of the drills that the announcement would be "report to your lifeboat station immediately" or "report to your lifeboat station with your life jacket, wearing warm clothing". We were assured that life jackets would be available at the muster station.
Old January 24th, 2003, 11:06 AM
AR

It's true that they have plenty of extra PFD's at the muster stations. They generally tell you at the lifeboat drill (you know, the one that some people on this board say they don't ever go to because it is optional) their specific policy about when and if you should stop at your room to pick them up. If they don't cover this, ask a crew member. More and more, they're saying just come to muster, don't detour.

AR
Old January 24th, 2003, 02:20 PM
A Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

Just another question though...... Let's say there are 2000 people inboard, by reading some answers, would it be fair to assume there are 4000 lifevests? Considering there are enough in your cabin, and then if you couldn't make it to your cabin.

i am not trying to be stupid, just wondering from all the experience here !!!
Old January 25th, 2003, 10:20 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: An actual life boat drill question

Actually, probably a lot more than that, since it is considered good form to keep the crew above water as well. On a ship with 2000 pax, there's roughly another 1000 crew. Are there 6000 PFD's? Probably more than that. They're hidden away all over the place. And there are bunches that are actually kept on the lifeboats as well. You can see them when the boats are used as tenders).

I'm not making fun of you, but you seem to be unusually concerned about this. Have you thought about whether these worries will prevent you from having a wonderful time on your cruise?

AR
Old January 25th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Hi, Newbie ....

I just did a bit of research on this for the new book. There are 2X PFDs (if not more) for every soul aboard, passengers and crew.

In the case of a General Emergency, usually the situation is assessed ahead of time before it's called and there is (should be) plenty of time for everyone to proceed in an orderly fashion.

I think Jim's estimate of evacuations might be on the light side, but it does happen.

As to Sue Sue's question, the answer is LISTEN. The one thing they do ALWAYS say during the "mustard drill" is that your lifeboat station may not be the same as the one for the drill. Of course, the people who won't listen are those who won't go to the boat drill.

For people with children in the kids' program, the parents will be given chapter and verse when they take the child to the program for the first time. On Carnival, kids are given little hospital-like bracelets with their cabin numbers and associated muster stations on them.

The arrangements for the physically handicapped are fascinating and incredibly well-arranged.
Old January 26th, 2003, 10:56 AM
A Newbie

Well thanks again for the info.

No Ar this will not keep me from cruising or having a great time. Actually i asked because of all the name calling and such on the other life boat drill question. Seems as if people are very strong minded as to their own beliefs.

I just want to do the right and politically correct thing. Seems like anyone who misses a lifebaot drill has some brain cells missing according to one person. Also It was noticed that you can be fined or kicked off the ship. seems like that contract covers a lot of bases. i wonder if every cruise passenger reads the entire contract, however long that may be.

Oh well thanks again!
Old January 26th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Sue Sue

Because I go to EVERY Drill, and LISTEN, I thank you for confirming what I already knew!!! However, what I was not listening to was my own logic at the time of my post. How would the cruiseline give instructions on a specific alternate EMERGENCY meeting place in advance??? Duh...?? It must have been one of those days. So, since I have now some order to my scattered thoughts , I am happy to report I must be paying attention to what is exactly said at the drill. ????? Now my next thought.. Does the ship generate its' own electricity?
Old January 26th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Admiral

No, haven't you ever heard of a submarine cable? Those are the long extension cords the ship plugs into at the dock--they're thousands of mile long. And the ship deploys those throughout its course, like a spider deploying silk. The real delay when you're waiting to board is that they have to wind up all the cable before they set out again.
Oh, I'm sorry--I though it was April 1.<VBG>

Steve
Old January 26th, 2003, 01:49 PM
A Newbie

Sue Sue........and Seahunks

Thanks for your in depth answers. You 2 must be what the others are referring to. During the drill and/or an actual emergency, even though you are there, you will be cutting up and making jokes, causing a disturbance, which will result in someone else having to save you.

So thanks for nothing.
Old January 26th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Sue Sue

Thanks Mike for your help. Newbie, EXCUSE ME!! I for one , as everyone should, take the lifeboat drill very seriously . You asked an excellent question and I believe it was answered very well. Your question prompted me to think about what is covered in the drill , and as I said, I merely went off on a one of those moments that we ALL experience from time to time. As for the humor in my last post I was making light of the fact that I had such an absurd thought, not the importance of the drill . Oh and Seahunk, I'm glad you told me about the cable, do I dare ask about the time of the midnight buffet?
Old January 27th, 2003, 11:24 AM
A Newbie

Ok

Sue Sue you are excused. I was asking for information, and was thrown off by the humor and such.My bad i guess. thanks for the help.

Oh and i probably get the midnight buffett question. What time is it? RIGHT ?????

Good one.
Old January 27th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Admiral

And Newbie. As a consolation to you, "Sometimes put my toungue in cheek, and it gets between my clench-ed teeth." And that can hurt!

Steve

Post Edited (01-27-03 11:30)
Old January 27th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: An actual life boat drill question

Newbie,
Actually that really IS a good question as most of the time the 'midnight' buffet isn't actually at midnight! Time varies from 11:30pm until 12:30am!
Jim