Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2003, 02:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Candles allowed in staterooms?

Are candles allowed in staterooms? I was thinking of bringing some little tea lights, not much of a fire hazard as they can't ever really tip over or burn through the bottom. We wouldn't use them unattended anyway.

What about birthday candles?
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2003, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Candles allowed in staterooms?

NO!!!!

fire danger

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 31st, 2003, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Agree with Marc....bad idea. Regardless of how safe you think it is, it's still an open flame.

Old January 31st, 2003, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Sorry...your question was "is it allowed"....never asked the Cruise line that question but I would be real surprised if they allow it. Have a great cruise!

Old January 31st, 2003, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Jeanne, that scares me. Ask any ships officer and they will tell you the biggest single hazard to a ship at sea is fire. Why oh why even think about a candle when the results could be devastating?
Old February 1st, 2003, 07:33 AM
Admiral

NO, NO, a thousand times NO!!! Sorry to yell but candles are completely out of the question onboard a ship. VERY dangerous, tea candles or not. Open flames are the last thing the crew will want or allow. Yes they have candles on the birthday cakes but they also have lots of crewmen around while they are lit and it isn't really because they sing "Hoppy Birzday" so well. <G> They also will not leave the table until the candles are blown out if you watch them. Leave the candles at home and do not take them for the safety of all concerned.
Jim

Old February 1st, 2003, 09:17 AM
ene

Default Re: Re: Candles allowed in staterooms?

If you desire something to mask odor, bring a few stick-ups or a small can of scented lysol and fabreeze. I always pack a travel size of these products and have found them extremely useful.
Besides, tealights are to little to be romantic unless you use lots and lots!
Old February 1st, 2003, 12:21 PM
Sue Sue

If you are looking for something to "set the mood" how about a small votive lamp with a tinted bulb?
Old February 1st, 2003, 12:28 PM
cruzingal

I think that if you use common sense that candels can enhance your room. I have read of other people that have used them. Just be real careful.
Old February 1st, 2003, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Cruzingal, I hope you are never on a ship that I sail upon. Candles are definitely not allowed within passenger cabins (yes, they have them in dining rooms and lounges).

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 1st, 2003, 02:13 PM
Admiral

cruizingal.....common sense and an open flame on a ship is an oxymoron. Common sense should tell people NOT to have an open flame on a ship IMO.

Old February 2nd, 2003, 05:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

when i want to get romantic I use 5 or 6 mini mag lights and use them like candles. They come in colors and are very attractive.
Candles! When are you sailing? I need to check the date of my booking.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 10:55 AM
Sue Sue

Hey, mini mag lights! Excellent idea! Now add a small travel CD stereo with your favorite romance mood music after a late night stroll on the deck....ahh Amore !
Old February 2nd, 2003, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Dumb question-- what about cigarettes-??-- there a lighted object too---
I had a candle left out in our cabin and just had it there for the sent--- I didnt bring it with me--- the hotel we were staying-pre crusie was having a Candle party meeting and it was giving to me-- when I looked into the meeting room--- very friendly folks-- it was out in very plan view-- put it on the silver dish that held some goodies and the cabin steward never said a word.
Have to admit I would never have lite it--- I'm not a candle person--- but do know lots of others who are----
Old February 2nd, 2003, 02:21 PM
Sue Sue

April, good point! Yet another reason to sail on the Paradise.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 02:50 PM
cruzingal

I thought the purpose of this board was to share info. I figure when opinions are ask for you can freely give them.

I suppose it is up to each person to decide what is best for them and not everyone else.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 02:55 PM
cruzingal

If you really want the correct answer ask the criue line that you are sailing on. Because only they can give that info.

Good point April! How many fires are statred each year from people smoking in bed?
Old February 2nd, 2003, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Cruzingal, when you take it upon yourself to use lighted candles in your stateroom on a ship, you are involving everyone else whether or not you want to admit it. Some nut burning candles on a ship is putting every other person at risk, not just themselves.
I for one don't want someone putting me or mine at risk because they want to "set the mood" .
Old February 2nd, 2003, 03:00 PM
Admiral

What's next after candles??? --hibachi grills in the staterooms?
Old February 2nd, 2003, 03:22 PM
Dalabar

Please tell me what ship you are going on so I can pick another one!!!
Old February 2nd, 2003, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Cruzingal,
Yes these boards are for information and everyone is entitled to their opinions but that isn't really what was asked. What was asked is if they are allowed and the answer to that is a resounding no. The reason for that is not an opinion, it is a factual statement that they are an unacceptable fire hazard and one should not use them. I agree that cigarettes are also a fire hazard but not as much or at least with such immediate tragic results that any open flame can cause. While your or my opinion may differ from the accepted norm, that fact alone would not make our opinion correct or over-ride accepted rules. It is just plain dangerous to have open flames such as candles and the danger is so great that to suggest anything else is very wrong. If the room steward did not report this or correct someone that was observed with a candle then he/she violated the trust of his fellow crew and possibly more. If the candle were lit and he didn't report it to his supervisor he should be fired for dereliction of his duties and endangering the lives of all onboard. (They are held to a higher standard than the passengers)
Jim

Old February 2nd, 2003, 07:09 PM
cruzingal

Sorry to get eeryone so upset but if you read my post I never said that I did use candles. My advice was to check was the lines. Also I said that I had read where other people used them.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 09:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ok ok ok!!
Thank you all for the very enthusiastic "no"s, especially the ones that made it a point that want to never ever sail on the same ship as me (I get it I get it!! I'm evil!! RUN AWAY!!!). Now I know that they aren't allowed, and I will make it a point not to bring any. Just want to point out for the record that my question was an innocent yes/no question, I said nothing about setting the mood or willfully endangering the lives of my fellow cruisers or what have you... if I were truly ignorant I wouldn't have even bothered asking - they may set off another firestorm about how I'm ignorant just by saying that, yada yada... I know I'll never win this, so I'll leave it at this: Thanks for the answer to my question. No candles. Got it.

Oh and for those that never ever want to ever sail on the ever same ship as ever me, I'm sailing on the Norwegian Sun, March 1-8. In the dark. Don't all cancel your cruises all at once now.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Jeanne, good post.

Some people will read a post and not READ the post. The words are registering but the meaning is not. They believe you to say one thing but respond as though you typed what they interpreted.

These are good intentioned folks on these boards, but mind you if you get out of line a little, one board moderator will send you to your room on a whim. <wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 3rd, 2003, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Jeanne:

Please don't take offense. There was nothing wrong with your question. It was a very honest yes and no question that most of us felt was easy to answer. Our (speaking out of turn for the collective we) heartburn was with a "maybe" reply, not your question.

marc
Old February 3rd, 2003, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Jeanne, I don't want you sailing around in the dark---my uncle has a hardware store and I can get you a whale of a deal on flashlights!! ( just kidding--have fun).
Old February 3rd, 2003, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Jeanne,
Actually you made a very good post with that question as many people do not know if they can or cannot, and why. The emphsis is there simply because fire is such a hazard onboard a ship that it needs to be plainly stated that this is not allowed. It isn't like the debates about what people wear, how to smuggle drinks onboard etc. This is a serious issue and I am glad to see that som many already know this..
Jim

Old February 5th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Yeoman

I don't need candles to "get me in the mood."
Old February 6th, 2003, 06:21 PM
First Mate

On a cruise I took last December some Jewish friends brought a mennorah for their Hanukkah observance. Because of the religious significance of the custom, it was permitted, but they were required to have a steward present at all times when the candles were lit.

Post Edited (02-06-03 18:31)

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise