Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2003, 05:30 AM
JenY

Default Baggage Tags

I received my "Docs" for our 2/22 Sensation Cruise.
We are very excited as in January the thermometer only climbed above freezing once (for a few short hours) with most days being subzero temps and now are back into subzero temps again.

In reading the literature it said to attach the completed baggage tags to our luggage prior to departure. We are leaving a day early ( I don't trust Northern VT weather to leave the day of). So by leaving a day early would we still attach the cruise baggage tags before we fly? Or, should we just put them on at the hotel?

The only reason I could see for attaching them at home would be if our luggage didn't make it (that happened for the 1st time last year when we vacationed in Vegas). It might then possibly get the baggage to the pier prior to sailing.

I would appreciate any answers to this mystery. Thanks!

P.S.
I have been reading this board for about two months. It has been very helpful.
I have used a lot of your ideas for important things to remember to bring and also booked our shore excursions with vendors you suggested in your posts.

You all sound like you have so much fun Cruising. I'm sure that my family will have fun too. Hope we don't get too addicted. My daughter starts college in the fall and then I won't have any vacation money for years!
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Baggage Tags

Jen...Deb and I also go a day early and put our tags on before we leave home. Not sure if my reason is sound, but like you, we think that it may help us get our bags if bags go to wrong place and weare on ship before bags catch up to us. Someone else here may be able to answer your question better.

Old February 11th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Yeoman

It is my understanding that if you are using air arranged by your cruiseline, attaching the supplied (never enough) baggage tags when you check your bags at home airport ensured the cruise line would pick up the luggage at the sailing airport and transport it to the pier. Idea being you don't fool with it until the bags are in your stateroom.

I have heard cautions that if you are flying into the debarking airport and want to keep your bags in your clutches until you hand them to a porter at the pier, you do NOT want the cruise line tags on your bags until you leave the hotel.

Some cruise lines handle this better than others.
Old February 11th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Baggage Tags

Jen, I just came off a Carnival cruise where I had to fly to LA that I booked myself. I did not put on the tag until I was leaving the hotel for port. The airline (USAirway) told us not to leave the cruise tag on, but rahter just our luggage ID tag and the airline tag. Hope that helps.
Old February 11th, 2003, 03:07 PM
JenY

Default Re: Re: Re: Baggage Tags

Thank you so much!
Old February 11th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Jen,
Yes, just attach the cruise tags when you are leaving the hotel or at least when you get to the pier, so your luggage will find its way to your cabin.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 11th, 2003, 08:57 PM
The Scotts

Jen,
I noticed you posted you are going on Carnival Sensation. We will not be going until May.
Would appreicate any info you can email me or post after your crusie on the Sensation.
Also about the shore excursions where did you book them and what happens if the ship is late getting into the port will you have time to make it to the tour? Also does all your excursions end in plenty of time to get back to the ship before it departs? I've read that if you do book them on the ship and the tour is late the ship will wait.
Are the excursions a lot cheaper elsewhere than booking on the ship?
Have a wonderful cruise and have a super fun time and enjoy.
Wish it was time for us to go!!!!!

The Scotts
Old February 12th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Admiral

I have always flown in the day prior to the cruise and therefore never put the Cruise Luggage tags on until I am leaving the hotel. This next cruise I will be flying in the day of the cruise and I still don't think I'll put the Cruise Luggage tags on till I pull my luggage off the carousel. I'm the pessimist in the group. I've traveled by air enough times to know that the airlines have at times been less than perfect in the handling of luggage. I will attach the Cruise Luggage tags to the bags as I pull them off the carousel and before I hand them to Celebrity personnel to transport to the ship.

Important to note however that I have very visible luggage tags on all my luggage in the event that my luggage goes astray.

Carnival Glory
Old February 12th, 2003, 05:01 PM
JenY

Default Re: Re: Re: Baggage Tags

Dear Scotts,
I have added you to my address book and will give you a report upon our return.
I am determined to have fun no matter what! Anything will be more tolerable than the continued frigid weather here. We are usually the "Poster Family" for vacations gone wrong. It is those unplanned, annoyances that make for great stories upon return. When your sharing them with a tan, how bad can life be?
Thanks for the good wishes. I'll be in touch.
JenY
Old February 12th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Oh how nice it is however when the kids are out of college. Crusing twice a year costs
nothing compared to two kids in college at a time for 11 years.
Happy cruising
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:32 AM
JenY

That's good to know! With a daughter as a senior and a son as a freshman - it looks like a lot I won't be done paying for college for a lot of years (I hope noone decideds an extended major). I need something to look forward to. You've helped me see the light at the end of the tunnel. Cruising twice a year would help to make up for all those lean years. In the end I guess you break even.
Old February 13th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Papa Bill...did you have two kids that took a LONG time to get through college or several kids? <G>
Old February 14th, 2003, 05:45 PM
AR

I wish the cruislines would stop telling people to put the tags on before they leave home.

You don't even have to be a pessimist to understand that you don't know what you don't know. And if you trust the cruise line to pull your bags and get them to the ship for you, you don't know 1) whether the airline got them to your destination, and 2) whether the cruise line did what they were supposed to do.

It all boils down to this: if the airline misdirects your bag, would you rather find out at the destination airport (where you can easily file all the necessary paperwork), or after you've waited around your cabin for several hours (probably until after sailing) only to find out that "all bags have been delivered. Sorry."

It's a no-brainer. Put your cruise tags on the bags after you and the bags have arrived in the cruise departure city. No earlier.

AR
Old February 17th, 2003, 02:38 PM
First Mate

We've always been told by our TA that if you're going a day or two early, you don't want to attach your tags for the ship to your bags until you're actually going to the cruise or your bag might be picked up and taken to the pier and you'd be at the airport looking for your bag for your pre-cruise night and it wouldn't be there. We always go a day or two early and wait to put our ship tags on our luggage after our pre-stay and when we're ready to board the ship. HAPPY CRUISING....