Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Yeoman

Default ways to pay for that "dream cruise"

i thought it would be fun to find out how everyone else is paying for their cruise.

i for one am among the HUGE group of people who have to struggle for each penny, so for my first cruise i am delivering a local newspaper one day a week. it is fun, easy and i will make enough money to pay for the cabin and fees. now all i have to do is keep saving a few dollars a week to have for spending and my tours. income tax has helped with that. i am off too a good start and i know i will have a great time.

please share the fun way you are going to be able to ''walk the gang-way".

dusty
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2003, 12:01 AM
First Mate

Default Re: ways to pay for that "dream cruise"

I am a waitress and save my change just for certain things for our cruise. I try to save up all yr long for the whole cruise. I sell things on Ebay to buy new clothes for my cruises. It is fun and a good way to make some extra money too.
Old February 17th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: ways to pay for that "dream cruise"

We have worked two jobs for seven years and luckily Mrs. Thomas was forced to give one up 2 years ago. I have a career position and then we own a restaurant which we work evenings and weekends.

We don't have children so we spend our extra money on travel, unfortunately with our obligations we have more difficult of a time finding the time to cruise and end up doing the shorter cruises.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 17th, 2003, 11:33 PM
First Mate

Seeing that this cruise (my first) was payed for in full up front back in October, I do not have the additional worry of coming up with the actual crusie/taxes portion of it all anymore. So I simply divide the desirable amount of money I will need/want (for tips, drinks, tours, etc..) by the number of weeks left until I sail. Whatever that number is, I put it away each week. I even put extra in there when I can so maybe I'll be surprised when I count it up the day before we leave Of course, I over-estimate so that I can choose to really splurge once I get cruisin' or take home some cash as a kinda bonusif I choose not to!! It is really a wonderfu, albiet perhaps 'old-school', way of saving money...but I really don't feel the $20 a week missing from my life....I guess I would have spent it frivously anyway. I even put the cash in a shoebox!!!!

whateva works, right?

waters
Old February 18th, 2003, 12:15 AM
KKCruiser

We:
1) Cancelled our satellite TV
2) Cut up our video rental cards
3) Cancelled our daily newspaper
4) Started brown-bagging it to work

We have since rediscovered reading (especially about cruise destinations!) and get the daily news from the radio and Internet.

The money formerly spent on the four items above now goes into a separate cruise savings account, and it is amazing how quickly it adds up!
Old February 18th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: ways to pay for that "dream cruise"

We each set aside a small amount every week from our paychecks rights off the top.
Old February 19th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Bunny

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: ways to pay for that "dream cruise"

I sell on ebay and showed my sister how to and she made enough to pay for a cruise to Alaska with us! It is fairly easy and it gets rid of the junk you have but do not use. Anyone want a juicer?! All kidding aside there are lots of things we all have lying around that some one else may want!
Old February 19th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Admiral

Gary and I both save for our cruises with our Christmas clubs at work. It is an automatic deduction from our paychecks and we don't even miss it. But we sure love getting those checks in October.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 19th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Yeoman

thanks everyone

so far we have some great money-saving ideas to keep us going on our cruises.

i hope we get many more.

dusty
Old February 19th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Passenger

I stopped eating out for lunch everyday, & cut back on unnecessary purchases. I also take out money from my check every week for tips, excursions & trinketts. I used my Xmas bonus to pay for my 1st cruise. Also in the months on January, May, August & October have 5 pay periods for me this year. So I took the extra pay check from January & put towards my vacation. I paid the balance of the cruise & payed my airline tickets. I'm going on a lobster fest in Rhode Island in May so I have to save for that to. We also go to Mohegan Sun for a day & a shopping trip
Old February 19th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Sue Sue

My DH and I cruise every March. We do not buy BIG Birthday, Christmas, Anniversary, or Valintine gifts for each other. We do remember the special days with a small personal token, however, we bank the $$ and put it away to enjoy one very wonderful celebration on our favorite ship, PARADISE!
Old February 22nd, 2003, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Mine is very easy. I lure the grand kids to the house and supply them with shovels and a snow blower. I send them out in the cold of winter to clean driveways of my neighbors. They whine a little but then get over it. I think they do anyway. Hard to hear them with the sound of a crackling fire in the fireplace. When they come in from there haul, I teach them how to share. 10 % for me and 10% for them. Theen they split theres 7 ways with each other. The four year old is my favorite. I give her a cup of hot chocolate as well.
Happy cruising!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 26th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Dorothy Fritz

Where do you live???

Just kidding. Believe it or not but I still clip coupons. I only buy the things I need but I save the amount of the coupons in a special place for my next cruise. Doesn't pay for the cruise but gives me enough pocket money. Saved over $40.00 in rebates during Christmas season alone.