Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2003, 01:48 PM
David Starkey

Default Crystal Cruises

We are considering a 12 day Crystal Harmony sailing to Alaska from SFO this summer. We love Celebrity but they do not offer 12 day Alaska from SFO iten.(we love the added sea days) We love good food and excellent service, but we do not like ships too dressy or snooty. We will be sailing with our 15 year old son and I wonder if we will "feel comfortable" on this ship or it too formal for us? We currently have a suite booked on the Amsterdam(have not sailed HAL in years)and on Celebrity. We love sea days, but don't want to feel out of place due to our casual dress . Is Crystal worth the extra $$ and will we feel comfortable with our fellow passengers? Suggestions or thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2003, 02:07 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Crystal Cruises

Just how snooty is HAL these days? We are booked for the first time and wonder how we should pack. My normal wardrobe is Lands End and Target.

Used to look down on those who wouldn't dress up. Now I look up to those who dress down.

Very aggravating to see formal dress in the brochures and read the repeated requests for jackets and dresses, then get aboard to find sports shirts and baseball caps in the dining room during dinner.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 04:48 PM
Admiral

You might want to try Radisson Seven Seas Cruises. Their cruises are Country Club casual for Alaska; no tux or jacket required (although I would take sports coat sans tie). Alas, they don't have SFO rt like Crystal. They do have an 11 day sailing on 9/10 Vancouver to San Francisco for 11 nights.

I think you will find Crystal to formal and staid (I admit I have never sailed them). Still fixed seating and you pay for all of your beverages.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 28th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Crystal Cruises

HAL has toned a lot in the last few years. You will see many more suits than tuxes. However, they have not lost the distinguished demeanor - it is still a proper ship in terms of clientele and behavior.

Old February 28th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

You might want to take a look at the Pacific Princess doing r/t Alaska cruises out of SF.......also I have heard that there are very few children/teens on Crystal and there are no dedicated programs/facilities for them (just something to consider).