Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Default Upset Carnival Passengers

Do you guys have any information on the "tilt" on the Conquest that returned to Gulf Port on Sunday. Carnival officials are saying it was wind but I, and the other passengers, think otherwise. My friends and I want to write a letter of complaint to Carnival and I was just wondering if you guys had heard anything different.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Upset Carnival Passengers

Haven't heard a thing about it from anyone. What did you experiance?
Jim

Old March 11th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Passenger

Jim,

I replied to you on the Carnival message board. I'd be happy to answer any other questions. I'm surprised that no one has brought it up. It even made the New Orleans paper yesterday.
Old March 11th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Upset Carnival Passengers

I'll try an find out from some friends at CCL and see what they say. Heck, they may have made a quick turn for any number of reasons or maybe there was a big sudden gust. I don't know. Glad to hear the rest of your cruise was so great though.
Jim

Old March 13th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm curious as to why a listing ship would create such chaios and complaints. I can understand being on this ship and being scared . . . but complaining? Did I miss something?
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Passenger

We got over being scared after we settled down. That is not why I am upset. I and other passengers are upset because we believe that Carnival is lying about what made the ship list and we also feel that the situation was handled poorly and unprofessionally. See attached article from the Times-Picayune (New Orleans paper) to see what I talking about.

http://www.nola.com/business/t-p/ind...5706275193.xml
Old March 13th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Upset Carnival Passengers

Read the article and here is 'my' supposition based on what I read. Again, I was not there but this seems like a likely scenario. The ship is entering a narrow channel and a steady or higher than believed breeze tended to make the ship be a little more to one side of the entrance than the other. Upon approaching the lighted buoys the ship needs to make strong corrections causing the tilt. The "passing cargo ship" was most likely the lighted buoys being seen in the fog, it tends to amplify when up close. The "screaming passengers running down the halls with lifejackets crying" is just not believeable and seems to be hyped up for a better tale. Hey, stuff like this happens and there was no damage or injuries thankfully. The Officer on Watch certainly doesn't want his watchkeeping reflected in his service jacket and certainly does not want to admit to the CG that he may have been a few yards off course. Does all this make it right, no, but it isn't all that bad and understandable. Now if anyone had been injuried in the least way, darn right, do a full fledged investigation and if someone did something wrong, nail him for it.
Jim

Old March 13th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Upset Carnival Passengers

People were screaming and running around because they panicked when plates started crashing to the ground and people started to slip on the deck and fall down. I only saw a few people with their life jackets on so that part may be an embellishment.
Old March 13th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Jim I usually agree with you. That said, I disagree with your statement ....

Now if anyone had been injuried in the least way, darn right, do a full fledged investigation and if someone did something wrong, nail him for it......

Why wait till someone is injured. What happened was'nt normal and should be corrected before someone is hurt.

Post Edited (03-13-03 16:13)

Old March 13th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Upset Carnival Passengers

Rick, if it was a ongoing or common problem I would agree but it is a single minor incident and economically a huge investigation to come to the conclusion that 'hey, keep you eyes on the road' just isn't a good way to spend money or manpower. I am sure that the Captain knows what's going on and who did what or he is checking and the right people will get in more trouble than you could possibly believe. Maritime justice is very strict and unforgiving and careers end over these types of incidents. It is rather like when we are driving and oops, missed that turn, ran that yellow light anbd it turned red before we got through, or wandered out of our traffic lane and scared the heck out of us, not a real big deal one time but it could have been but you shouldn't lose your license to drive for the rest of your life and have a big court trial over it. You would be surprised at how much trouble the offending party is probably in.
Jim

Old March 13th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Why is it that when something happens on a cruise ship, it is always of MAJOR proportion and the cruise line is ALWAYS trying to hide or cover up something ?

I even read in one of the earlier posts on this same thing that the ship had listed 30 o (degrees). ( I think that was on the Carnival board ) How did the passenger who said this know the ship had listed 30 degrees? Did they have inside info from a friend of a friend of one of the cabin stewards?

People should understand that a ship is a very large moving object floating on an unpredictable ocean and they, as passengers on that ship, may from time to time feel some of that movement. If a ship is in the process of turning and was suddenly broadsided by very strong winds, would not the turn be " magnified " to an extent ?

As far as the Captain being critized for not giving out information until the next morning, if one wouldn't believe him in the morning, would one believe him that night ? No, not likely. Far better to have the old " cover-up " thingee--more interesting.
Old March 14th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Passenger

Some of you x squids have been here.
a minesweeper in the Gulf of Tonkin during a typhoon--60 degree rolls--real fun watching the bilge run up the engineroom bulkhead almost to the overhead. Did that for about 3 days. They were measured at 60 on the clinometer in the engineroom. I was there.

Celebrity Horizon Sept 04 Bermuda
Carnival Liberty Sept 05 Western Mediterranean

Old March 14th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Passenger

This was a double post--sorry about that

Post Edited (03-14-03 06:48)
Celebrity Horizon Sept 04 Bermuda
Carnival Liberty Sept 05 Western Mediterranean

Old March 14th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Admiral

I remember well headed into a storm off Cape Hatterris NC while doing some 'war games' in 69 onboard the USS Forrestal when we had waves breaking over the flight deck! Let me tell ya folks,those are some really huge waves! I also watched a cruiser or some other large ship completely dissappear over and over again under the water with only the very top part of the superstructure showing, it was not someplace I would have wanted to be at all. A 30 degree roll is really extreme and much more than you would think. A minor roll of 5 degrees is really large for a cruise ship and 10 degrees would create a lot of damage and many injuries, 30 degrees on a cruise ship would just stop everything and would give massive casualties as they are just not prepared for that type of rocking. US Naval ships do it all the time but they are constructed and maintained far differantly as any sailor can attest to.
Jim

Old March 14th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Passenger

I apologize, I wasn't intentionally exaggerating. I have no idea how to tell how many degrees we listed. An article in the New Orleans paper quoted people saying we'd listed between 25 and 40 degrees. I did see a post by someone else saying they had experienced a similar list (enough to make tables and chairs topple and people to slip) and his ship had only listed 7 degrees. Thank you Jim for clearing up this issue. I know my body shifted at least 30 degrees. Again, I apologize for the confusion.
Old March 14th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Admiral

No problem Alison and I didn't think you were doing any embellishment to the problem, I know that the media does fine all by themselves <VBG> I am sure that it did feel that way, expecially to anyone not really a very experianced sailor and even many of those that are unless they were in the service. The US Navy folks know about listing, heeling, squating, yawing, rolling, corkscrewing, and lots of other movements on a ship like you would not believe. That is why I cannot convince my brother who spend 30 years mostly onboard fighting ships that cruising is actually fun. <>
Jim

Old March 14th, 2003, 08:15 PM
AR

People freak out when airplanes hit weather too. I've witnessed screaming, yelling, and the curling up into a fetal position. Nobody gets hurt, of course, and when the plane lands these people kiss the pilots' feet for bringing them through the valley of the shadow of death.

But somehow it's different on a ship. You hit some weather or the autopilot screws up and it's instantly put down to some sort of malfeasance.

From what I can see in this case, there isn't any convincing testimony in the public prints or from passengers that would lead me to draw any conclusions at all.

Just because somebody's running up and down the halls in a lifejacket and screaming to beat the band doesn't mean there's imminent danger any more than when that plane is bouncing through the storm. Sometimes it just goes with the territory. Time to get over it.

AR