Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cabin Re-assignment?

I filled out the immigration forms on-line for our upcoming HAL cruise. Though we hadn't been assigned one as yet, a cabin number popped into the field when I finished the form, so of course I ran right to their website to look it up. It seems we are right across from a flight of stairs and the elevator banks! We booked a verendah cabin guarantee, so my question is - can we ask to have our cabin changed, and to whom do we direct our appeal? Should I wait until we check in to see if that is our 'real' cabin number? Has anyone ever tried to change a cabin and what was your result? Any advice, guidance, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks!
MaryCruiser (in just 5 days!!!!)
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cabin Re-assignment?

Of course part of booking a guarantee is the risk of not getting THE perfect cabin. Sometimes with luck you may get an upgrade, you will always get at least what you paid for. The risk is that you may get a cabin across from an elevator and next to a staircase . Did you book through a Travel agent? If yes, that is your avenue of appeal.
If not, try calling the cruise line. Do you know if the ship is full?. If it is, you are not likely
to get any help. I have stayed near elevators and staiways in the past. The times they are busy are usually the times you are awake and out of your cabin. I doubt that you will be bothered by the noise or activity and you may enjoy the convenience of some steps
saved. Be happy you don't have a cabin in the bow and under the disco.
Enjoy your trip. Don't let this small stuff bother you.
Old March 17th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Yeoman

Which cruise?

We did the same and found our stateroom by checking the immigration forms and excursions. Our TA verified that is the room assigned and said that normally the room initially assigned doesn't change unless the room is out of service for repair.

Then she went on to say that just recently, one of her customers, in the same situation as ours, was upgraded at the pier to a suite!

Believe we should plan of the room now assigned and hope for the best.
Old March 17th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Frankly I prefer to near the elevator/staircase. It gives me a better sense of direction in finding my way around the ship. Happy sailing to you!
Old March 17th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Your cabin assignment sounds terrific... the elevators are in a vestibule, with the stairs, and you won't be disturbed. If you have a problem, why don't you call your t/a??? He/she may be able to go in through the back door and get some adjustment... although from what you say it sounds like you'll be fine.

Old March 17th, 2003, 09:06 PM
AR

In all honesty, it doesn't seem reasonable to want your cake and want to eat it too.

Apparently you booked a guarantee in order to get a favorable price. If this is so, you almost certainly could have chosen a specific cabin by paying a somewhat higher price. Now that the room has been assigned, you say you're not happy with it.

As at least one other reply has demonstrated, a room near the elevators is prized by some, so it's not even as though you got stuck with a room that is universally conceded to be in an undesirable location.

I've always been impressed by Ernie's advice that you shouldn't book a room (or a category, or the CHANCE of a room) that is less than the minimum that will make you happy. If that means booking a specific room rather than a guarantee, then that's probably what you should do.

That way, if you do get an upgrade it's icing on the cake. If you don't, you're still a happy camper.

I hope you have good luck in changing the room assignment if that's what you decide to try to do. I've had a number of rooms close to the elevators and never been disturbed.

AR
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Is it a Verendah cabin? If it is you got just what you booked and there is no reason for them to change it. This is why you paid a slightly less amount than someone else that wanted that class cabin and wanted to pick which one they got. You paying for a GTY get whatever they have left over in that cat unsold. There is also nothing wrong with this type cabin, you aren't beside any machinery that makes noise nor is the waiting area directly outside your door. Lesson is that if you want to pick your cabin, do not pay for a gty, pay for the cabin of choice.
Jim

Old March 18th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not asking for an upgrade, nor do I expect to get anything more than I paid for. I simply wanted to know if anyone had ever tried to change their cabin LOCATION. I understand the risks of booking a guarantee rather than chosing the exact cabin, so spare me the lectures guys! Yeesh!! If being near the elevator is such a desirable location, how come my cabin wasn't snapped up by those full price cruisers??

For the record, I've been on many, many vacations, and though I'm all for having a good time, I am well aware that folks often forget the concept of consideration once they have a few drinks in them!

Thanks to those of you who offered advice. I'm sure the cruise will be wonderful even if a conga line chicken dances their way past my door at 3:00 am!
Old March 18th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Admiral

I always get a cabin near the midships elevator/stairs ... makes it so much easier to get around. If you're worrying about the noise factor, don't - I've never been bothered by any noise. Keep what they've assigned you ... you'll love it. And, if you rock the boat, you might get something you hate.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old March 18th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Passenger

I may be in the minority but on my last HAL cruise I requested the same cabin as the previous cruise which was only four cabins from the stairs to the Lido deck and the elevators. My husband has diffaculty walking so being near the elevator was a plus. As for me I only had to go up a few stairs for the great food. NEVER had a problem with noise. Go and enjoy and if you have room in your luggage for a stowaway remember me.

Old March 18th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Yeoman

One of the selling points for getting me on HAL was a more mellow and mature passenger list. Doubt if there will be any Conga lines at night. On Carnaval, you would be dragged out of your room to join in.
Old April 7th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Cabin Re-assignment?

In case anyone is interested, here is my very quick, condensed opinion of our cabin and the Veendam in general:

1. The location was convenient, but yes we heard plenty of passenger noise, punctuated by the constant "ding" of the elevator when it reached our floor.
2. The service was excellent, a verendah mini-suite is definitely worth the investment, and the ship itself has plenty to offer.
3. There is barely any late-night food available. The buffet closes at 12:30, and room service, except sandwiches and broth, ends at 10 pm. We had the late dinner seating so we never made the late-night buffet.
4. I have nothing against kids in general, but I think a curfew or adult accompaniment should be imposed at some point in the evening. There were packs of kids running amok late at night - where was their parental supervision??
5. The ship was full, and unless you were up at the crack of dawn there were never any pool chairs available. We spent a lot of time on our verendah, which was nice because we stocked the mini-bar, had a private restroom, and could even listen to music or watch a movie.

If you have any specific questions feel free to e-mail me.