Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2003, 02:33 PM
LdyDDS2

Default Passports...necessary?

I will be sailing on the Conquest this summer. We will go ashore in Jamica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I don't have a passport. Can I just bring my birth certificate?
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Passports...necessary?

You need a certified copy of your birth certificate and a government-issued photo ID (such as a drivers license). At present, a passport isn't mandatory for your itinerary. However, that may change in the future. A passport is the best form of identification and you can't go wrong having one.
Old March 28th, 2003, 04:11 PM
SueClark

For most Caribbean sailings a birthcertificate and drivers license are all that are needed. Now having said that..... you have plenty of time to get a passport and I (and most other people that travel regularly) highly recommend getting one.

Sue
Old March 28th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Admiral

agree .. highly recommend getting a passport..painless.

Old March 28th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Passports...necessary?

Can someone please explain why a passport is so much better?

Old March 28th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

MA,
Passports are the best identification you can have, very easy to take out and show any official, without all the papers and the drivers license. First thing they ask for at the airport is passports, just the smart thing to have, I would not travel without one.

Here is a link with all the passport information:

http://www.governmentguide.com/inter...=&last_tally=8

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 28th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

A passport issued by your country of citizenship is the best type of identification you can have. Period. I use mine even for domestic travel - and when I was on the Carnival Legend in January, the CD said he was asked by the US Government to emphasize that in the "near" future passports would be required for any travel outside the USA (not so much for leaving, but returning to the USA.) We Americans are definitely spoiled regarding passports - almost all other countries require passports for any international travel.

Old March 29th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Admiral

THe advantage of a passport is quite simple, you have only that one document, they are standardized throughout the world and the officials spend less time trying to figure out if they are 'official' or not. There are often two lines, one for passports, one for the 'others' and guess which one is much shorter and much quicker. <G> Like someone else said, we even use it for domestic travel as a quick flash of the passport gets us ID'ed for anything. They are good for ten years, only cost $80 and you never know when a super deal may pop up that you NEED a passport to go there. I also predict that we will soon need a passport for international travel anywhere.
Jim

Old March 29th, 2003, 03:52 PM
AR

Everybody's 100% right.

You need a passport. Period. Get it now voluntarily or get it soon because it'll be required.

As to why it's better, think of what it is called: Passport, as in PASS through the PORT. You know how carpenters say that half the secret to their craft is having the right tool to do each job? Same with this. Why should an immigration official in Jamaica have to decipher a Utah birth certificate? He knows where to look for what on a passport, plus international watch lists are kept according to passport number. Plus, when visa stamps are required, the passport has pages designed to do that. Plus it has a photo. Everything you need in one handy document. Can't beat it.

Finally, having one creates an itch to travel more. Maybe beyond cruises. Maybe something adventurous. The passport (with the appropriate visas for some places) is a ticket to the world.

AR
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:28 AM
Admiral

all that being said, i do agree that a Passport is the best form of identification, As of now you can get away with the birth certificate & driver's license and that's fine if you aren't planning on doing a lot of international traveling within the next 10 years. Check with your TA - all this may change.
Old April 7th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Christi

I just got married...so, I knew I could haul my birth certificate, my drivers license and my marriage certificate with me for proof of everything.....but why!!! I've just applied for my passport instead to skip having to haul all this paperwork around.

My question is.....what do you keep your passports in when you are off the boat....I mean...how do they keep from getting wet on the beaches. I was thinking keeping them in ziplock bags, but I'm not sure that is waterproof enough. I'm also concerned about leaving them in my beach bag while I'm out goofing off in the water. Makes me very nervous!!

Christi Q.
Old April 7th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

Christi - my passport is kept in the safe in my cabin. I make photocopies of it that I take on shore.

Old April 7th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Admiral

you don't need your passport while on shore, once the ship has cleared customs, you are all set, the only form of ID you need is your shipboard card to get back on the ship. Lock you passport in the safe in your room.
Old April 7th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Passports...necessary?

Hi Christi,
So glad to hear you've got a passport :-) You actually don't need to take it with you off the ship, but do remember to take your sign/sail card as that will get you back onboard. Lisa had a good idea to just keep a copy with you, so far I haven't done that and have never been asked to see my passport while in port.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 7th, 2003, 05:11 PM
martinimomma

Leave your passport on the ship in your safe. MAYBE take a driver's license with you. Don't worry about having it with you if you are crusing and somewhere in caribbean for one day. In Europe on land-based travel, I take it out with me. A copy of it carried with you is good enough too. Bon Voyage. BUT GET A PASSPORT, easiest way to travel.
Old April 7th, 2003, 06:20 PM
VickiC

I agree with everyone, a passport is a must. What would happen say you get sick and are on shore in maybe Belize City, Belize, you couldn't get back to the ship you would be in for a lot of trouble without a passport. I always carry a copy of ours in my bellybag whenever we leave the ship. Keep originals in the safe.
Happy sailing.
Vicki
Old April 10th, 2003, 01:49 PM
bob sweeney

I'm traveling on the Conquest in May with my 2 kids. My wife and I have passports but the kids (ages 5 and 9) do not. Would you recommend me getting passports for them as well?
Old April 10th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Admiral

It's a little late right now Bob buy yes I would highly recommend it in the future. As soonh as you get home you might as well apply for them for the kids as you will also probably be planning your cruise at the same time.
Jim

Old April 11th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just wanted to point out also that a passport is proof of citizenship and proof of identity - that's why if you don't have one, you have to have a birth certificate (citizenship) and license (identity). [off point, but when you get a new job, and they require proof of citizenship and identity - your passport can serve as both.]

I definitely recommend having one too - it's painless and for $80 for ten years, it's not that much. It can just take a few weeks/months to get.
Old April 11th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Carole Dunham

If there were a national security emergency when you were on your cruise, getting back into the US could become a major headache without a passport. With one, you will be fine. I've had a passport nonstop since I was 17, and I'm 64 now. Great for spur of the moment travel fun.

Carole
Old April 13th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Admiral

To me the definition of a passport is this;
A worldwide identification card, accepted in every country as proof that you
are, indeed you. Don' leave home without it. :-)

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old April 13th, 2003, 01:04 PM
First Mate

Having said all that, since the carnival phone op told me all I needed were birth certificates with raised seals. We sail June 15 and I'm not sure we have time to get it back. Also, my birth certificate is my maiden name of course, why do they not mention a marriage lic? My drivers license is in married name, the two being different. Whats the low down. Thanks.

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old April 13th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Hi Denise,
I'd still go ahead and apply for the passports, you have time yet. If you decide not to, good idea to bring along your marriage license.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 13th, 2003, 04:18 PM
First Mate

I thougth the passport was 6-8 wks? Will it come back sooner?

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old April 13th, 2003, 07:14 PM
AR

Yes it will. There is also an expedited service that you can use if you want to.

AR
Old April 14th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Most passports are received within two weeks.

Old April 17th, 2003, 06:58 PM
First Mate

Regarding taking your passport on shore - I've been in countries where passports are required to cash traveller's checks - most recently Argentina - so there may be situations where you want to carry it with you. I don't know the best way to handle it at the beach. Probably the same way you deal with your wallet and other valuables.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:26 PM
KTW35

Here in Florida it takes a Minimum of 7 days to get a Passport IF u apply online. U can get it in 1 day in Miami.I have seen the cost range from a "Total" of $145-245 depending on how u get it.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 06:50 AM
Passenger

I am going on a cruise in July. I couldnt decide whether to get a passport or not. I live in Texas and was born in Newfoundland. My father was in the service. I have two recorded birth certificates. I finally broke down and spent the money to get a passport. When I went to get it the girl couldnt decide which birth certificat to send in. So long story short I am glad I finally decide to get one. I would hate to get to the ship and them tell me I could not go, because they didnt know which birth certificate to use. So if you have any doubt at all.............get a passport. Glad I did.
Old June 17th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,
My wife and I will be traveling to Jamica on July 5th.
She has an old passport with her maiden name.
Do we need to pay for a rush passport change of name (new passport) to travel safely in July.
The trip is only about 3 weeks away?
Thanks,
Pete