Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2003, 02:10 PM
CC

Default "hidden charges" to watch out for?

I'm a cruise newbie, and I'd like some advice from you experienced cruisers. I've heard that sometimes bon voyage drinks are brought around in "souvenir" glasses, and that if I take such a drink, I'll be charged for the glass as well as the drink, although, unaware of this, I don't take the glass with me. Is this sort of thing a problem? Are there other "hidden charge" items I should be aware of? (I'm sailing with RCI.) Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2003, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re:

that's not a hidden charge. All costs for items over and beyond the cruise are displayed. When in doubt ask the person offering to you if there is a charge. One clue would be that they ask for your card!
Old April 4th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Default Re: "hidden charges" to watch out for?

things to watch out for: If the fridge is stocked when you arrive in your cabin. Have your cabin steward remove everything from the fridge , or you will be charged for that. If there are disposable cameras waiting for you in your stateroom, again have your cabin steward remove them. If in doubt ask before you use anything.
If a server asks for your card, that means a charge.
Old April 4th, 2003, 01:14 PM
CC

Thanks for the info! I was staying at a "nice" hotel last summer, and asked for additional shampoo and conditioner--one little bottle of each for three people was insufficient. These were promptly provided. Two sets appeared each day of our stay after that, which I appreciated. Then at check-out I found I had been charged for the additional toiletries, and at an outrageous rate. Once burned, twice shy. . .
Old April 5th, 2003, 08:41 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: "hidden charges" to watch out for?

Just to clarify: If the fridge is stocked you will only be charged if you consume what's there. It's a good idea to tell the steward to remove the contents if you want the space for your own stuff.

But if you don't need the fridge, don't be concerned because it's full. It works like a hotel mini-bar: if you don't use it you won't be charged. If they try to nick you, yell loud and long.

I've heard of people getting charged for towels when they take them to the pool or the beach and don't bring them back.

AR
Old April 8th, 2003, 02:09 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

And for the record, you can keep the "souvenir" glass too from the drink the advantage is you get the glass refilled at a cheaper rate than buying the drink outright....
Hope this Helps
Chyna
Old April 9th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: "hidden charges" to watch out for?

With those souvenir drinks... the big money is in the umbrella's! () Enjoy your cruise!

Old April 9th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Admiral

regarding the towels - yes you will be charged if you leave your towel at the pool or at the beach, make sure your towel gets back to your stateroom, to go out with the daily laundry when your steward cleans your room.