CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   What is a Repositioning Cruise? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/241892-what-repositioning-cruise.html)

jeleja July 16th, 2004 07:44 AM

What is a Repositioning Cruise?

I have seen this term used several times on different boards. What is a repositioning cruise?

Sea Trekker July 16th, 2004 08:34 AM

Re: What is a Repositioning Cruise?

A repositioning cruise is one where the ship goes east to west or west to east and stays at that port. For instance; It is spring time and a ship wants to sail in Alaska. So they post a special going from say Ft. Lauderdale to Vancover, that means you can sail from Florida, thru the panama canal, up the west coast to canada. The only problem will be to fly back home, which can be expensive since it it one way. Airlines like to give you better rates for round trip.
Hope that helps. We are looking for this kind of trip too. Let me know what you find out, maybe we can be on the same one??

jeleja July 16th, 2004 09:06 AM

Re: Re: What is a Repositioning Cruise?

Thank you for the info!

cruisequeen July 16th, 2004 09:07 AM

These are great bargains on the cruise. I know that air can be a bit pricey. It is the one time I recommend you go through your TA for air. The cruise prices on this type of cruise is usually well below the reg. prices. You should take advantage if you can. Right now air lines are having oe great sales so go searching!

aquagal July 21st, 2004 01:35 AM

Sea trekker, and cruisequeen I have a question if you don't mind. I do know what re-positioning cruises are, but never see them listed anywhere on the internet!!! I don't use a TA, should I? Also, I work for united airlines and get to fly for free to just about anywhere, so don't need to worry about the oneway airfare. It's frustrating cause I always hear about these cruises anywhere, but never see them on any of the websites. Thanks in advance for any answers!!

Vicky

Mike M July 21st, 2004 08:40 AM

Vicky;
Many of these are now being listed as Panama Canal, Trans Atlantic and South America cruises.

The repositioning cruises reposition the ship from one season's itinerary to another's. Alaska to the Caribbean, Europe to the Caribbean, etc.

For others reading this thread: It's always a good idea to look at the cruise air price for these cruises. They often involve open jaw (fly into one airport, return from another) or international air. Cruise line air is often less expensive than you can find it on your own. When I book a European cruise or a cruise that has open jaw air I book the cruise line air at the time I put my deposit down. If, at a later time, I find the air at a lower price I can always cancel the air portion of the trip.

Take care,
Mike

JLKoag July 21st, 2004 09:01 AM

I know but they won't let me post it. I tried to post the site before and it was deleted.

So, keep asking verbally - it is out there. jlk

GailM July 21st, 2004 01:33 PM

Dear fellow cruiser: I am also interested in a repositioning cruise and found a great one on Celebrity. It is a 14-day cruise that is repositioning to Alaska and sails out of San Diego (it does the Pacific Coast - Catalina Island, San Francisco, Seattle, Victoria - British Columbia) and then does the 7-day Alaska Inside Passage. It terminates in Vancouver. It is a great itinerary and according to the info I found on Celebrity's website, the sailing date for next spring is May 6-20. My husband and I are thinking of doing this cruise to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. I've never sailed Celebrity, so I'm doing a lot of reading from my fellow cruisers out there. Any thoughts would be helpful.

GailM