Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Passenger

Default Another passport question

Hi, I've read the other post re: passports, but would appreciate some advice specific to my situation. I'm from Canada, and my husband and I are taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise in May. Months ago (when we had time to get one!) my travel agent told me we would definitely not need a passport. Now I'm worried. Will we be OK? It is way too late now to send away our birth certificates. I've read that other people bring a copy of their marriage certificate, and someone even brought an old drivers license with their maiden name on it. Is this appropriate and something I should do? Thanks in advance for your help! Jo
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Another passport question

You NEED to contact the cruise line and get a specific and official answer to this question, preferably in writing. I would not rely on a TA who "thinks" they know what you need or on any comment you would read here as being authoritative.
In the US you can get 24 hour processing of a passport for an extra fee. I would look into that NOW for Canada.
Old April 10th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jojo,
I think you still have time to get passports, even if they are not necessary, they sure are better to travel with. I know here in the states, it only takes a couple weeks, so you may want to check into that now, just to be on the safe side.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 10th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Admiral

JoJo: I do not know about Canada, but here in the US it took less than two weeks to receive our passports. We ordered them on two different occassions and in both bases it was less than two weeks. I would go ahead and apply for them. If they do not come in in time, you will have for the next time you travel. I would also take PapaBill's advise and phone the cruiseline. Let us know what happens, okay?

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 10th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Admiral

You need a passport. I am not positive about this but pretty darn sure that is correct. I have yet to see any of my Canidian friends cruise without one and all the brochures specifically state a passport or IF a US Citizen then an original birth certificate and photo ID would be accepted. You are not a US citizen so have to believe that a Passport is necessary.
Jim
\

Old April 10th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

You do not have Birth Certificate OR Passport? I think that PapaBill gives the best advice, contact the cruise liner and get it in writing.

I would have to send my Birth Certificate to even GET my passport. So it would seem to me that if you don't have a Birth Certificate you would be hardpressed to get a passport.

I think that considering current world events, you will HAVE to have your passport or Birth Certificate.

Dana

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Old April 10th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Passenger

Hi everyone, and thanks for all your replies. I've emailed Carnival and am waiting for their reply. I also called the Canadian passport office and their "best time" (not even guaranteed) is four weeks, not including mailing times. The only other option is going in person to a passport office, which from me is 500 miles away, and then that takes at least 2 weeks. With only 5 weeks to go, I dare not send my birth certificate away. The lady at the passport office seems to think we'll be fine, as passports are not mandatory....yet. It's unfortunate our TA has turned out not to be the best (not only in this aspect, believe me), but we'll just have to 'keep the faith' that all will turn out well. Travelling from Canada is costly and this is our dream trip we've been waiting for 10 years for so keep your fingers crossed for us! Thanks! Jo
Old April 11th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Passenger

I'm pretty sure you need one. I'm from Toronto, ON.

For our last cruise my girlfriend got hers issued in 1 week - but she paid an additional fee. If not for the cruise, I'm almost certain you'll need one to get over the border nowadays.

Best of luck!