Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:08 PM
First Mate

Default Kids Gone wild

Are there any Ship Personell responsible for the kids that run wild. Who would be in charge. You would think the cruiselines would fear an accident and lawsuit with kids running wild. Your opinions. Thanks, Denise

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Kids Gone wild

denise:

Feel free to just trhrow them overboard.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Denise, I don't know to which ship, line, etc. that you refer to but from my experience over the years it seems that the cruise lines in general are courting the families more and more as that is a big (largely) untapped source of business and they are afraid to make mommy and daddy mad by trying to control of the kids.

I do believe it's only a matter of time until some unsupervised kid or kids go overboard, hurt themselves or someone else severely, etc. When the lawsuits and bad publicity start to hit the cruise lines in the pocketbook, maybe (and only maybe) then they will start to enforce their their own rules.

To me, the kids running amok are not as bad as the parents of the kids who keep their head up their bung and don't know or care what the kids do.

Hunker down now 'cause the flack will probably start to fly.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 09:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

At what point does controlling a child leave the parents and become the responsibility of the cruise line? Throw the thoughtless parents overboard! A good family cruising atmosphere would start with good parenting, I would assume.

We're DINKs, so what do we know.

Jay and Karen
Mount Hope, ON Canada

Westerdam 1993, 1997, 1998
Statendam 1995
Zenith 1996
Norway 1997
Sun Princess 1999
Volendam 2000, 2001
Century 2002
Zuiderdam 2003
Caribbean Princess 2004, 2005
Victory 2004
Old April 22nd, 2003, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Parents are responsible for the behaviour of the kids and are held responsible. Just ask those that have been tossed off the ship because little Johnny brought his cigarettes onboard the Paradise and figured he could get away with it. I wish the ships security and Staff Captian would take a harder line to those that will not control their kids. Actually, with some of the parents it is no wonder some kids don't understand what proper behaviour really is.
Jim

Old April 22nd, 2003, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Heck, throw em all overboard! The children of today have no "Respect for their Elders",
as it was called in my day as a kid. I believe that's because the parents did not include
the word "respect" in the raising of their children.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:02 PM
First Mate

I agree. The children should learn to respect and should show self control and act responsibly if left unattended. Otherwise, the crew should ask the parents for their interaction with their own children. I am amazed there has not been accidents or incidents already. Kids have no fear of danger. Invencible.

Old April 23rd, 2003, 07:37 AM
sdolliver

Just returned off a cruise on the Zuiderdam and OH MY GOD the kids were wild. What the heck is going on with cruising. Does no one running the cruise give a danm how all the other passengers feel to have kids taking over the pools, restaurants, lounges, hallways and The whole "danm ship". I adore kids and have several of my own (of which I don't believe belong on a cruise ship) However, do we adults not deserve to be able to relax and enjoy our vacation without feeling that we are spending the entire time at a YMCA in a low rental neighborhood on a Saturday afternoon. Folks do us all a favor and leave the children at home or take them to disney world. Those who read this please don't take offence but simply see the reality and try to understand that just because you can afford to bring them with you doesn"t mean its a good idea or the right thing to do. You're the only ones on the whole ship that think your kids are special. Most everyone else is on the ship to escape and relax. Without kids!!!!!
Old April 23rd, 2003, 08:27 AM
Yeoman

You have to remember, you are dealing with the "me first" generation.

They vacation in Florida and on cruise ships where life is easy.

Their philosophy is "We are on vacation, all rules of acceptable behavior are off".

I have asked them if their kids always behave that that and been told "of course not, we are on vacation, they should have fun".

Likewise when sitting next to a jerk wearing the tank top, shorts and shower shoes he had on all day in the tropical sun if that's how he runs around NYC, I have been told, as if speaking to a small child, that he is on vacation and that the world centers around him.

People go on cruises expecting to be treated with deference and respect, their every whim accommodated. What they forget is that service spawned at a time when people deserved to be treated that way.

Those people will make sure their kids get (not earn) the degrees needed to make the six figure incomes and eventually run the country.

Its all me first.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 08:50 AM
Passenger

AMEN to all that has been said. We just got back from the WC on the PAradise and it was like a kid zoo. I just do not understand what parents are thinking. And for the record, I have a 2 year old so I do like kids. What I have found, however, is that a cruise is NO place for kids. Never mind the annoyance, but what about the drinking, near sex, etc on the dance floor while little jim sits and watch. Where are the parents you ask? They are the ones doing the crap on the dance floor. No wonder..............
Old April 23rd, 2003, 09:30 AM
Admiral

As a parent of a teenage son, i will put 95% of the blame on the parents not teaching their kids proper behavoir and what it right and what is wrong. Urrgh i can't stand that "My kids and I are on vacation so we will do whatever we damn well please" attitude(sorry) If your kid is acting up it is your responsibilty as a parent to stop the behavoir and apply the approrpriate punishment. Doesn't matter if you are on vacation or not.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:57 AM
First Mate

Whoosh! A lot of venting in this thread. As a person who has a (well-behaved, cruise-friendly) daughter, I agree that children should not "run wild" on a ship. Children who seriously misbehave in a way that endangers or injures people or property should be put off the ship with their parents at the next port.

On the other hand. . . I must respectfully totally disagree with sdolliver who says that the point of a cruise is to be in a child-free environment, so that parents who bring their children with them on a cruise are infringing on his or her rights. People whose vacations will be ruined by the mere presence of children should take adults-only cruises.

I have a lot of sympathy for older cruisers who find it disconcerting that standards of appropriate child behavior have changed since their youth. Such cruisers may be perfectly happy to have quiet, polite children like my daughter on the ship, but have the classic "kids-these-days-have no-respect, when-I-was-a-kid-nobody-would-dare-to-do-X" response to the noisier, less formal typical children of today. My advice to all is to try to be tolerant of one another and not let the small things get to you. Save your outrage for the large things--and then, by all means, express it. For children to run down the corridor to their room galumphing and squealing is one thing--but for them to be so wild that they knock an old lady over is another.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:16 PM
First Mate

Hi Carrie

I don't think cruises should be adult only, unless that is your specific preference. It's like I am going on a non-smoking vessel because I can't tolerate the smoke, allergy. I do however think that perhaps the standards need to be adhered to in order to protect the "enjoyment level" for both parties, families or couples/singles. I too have a 14 yr old who would have a list of rules to follow on the ship and using courtesy and respect for all fellow passengers would be non-negotiable. I thank the Lord that he is a very courteous young man, infact, kind of shy and certainly not the "wild child", at least he has not displayed those characteristics as yet. He and your daughter would probably have a lot in similar should we ever cruise together one day. Yet, I hope that rather than lower behavior standard, cruiselines will try to reinforce good behavior standards for the parents and the children at embarkation. Perhaps, the "bad" publicity has of yet reached the right person. Perhaps, passengers could unite to request a higher standard. I do believe that "the only prerequisite for caos to prosper is for good men to do nothing", if you get my drift. Thanks, Denise

Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:27 PM
Admiral

It's hard to blame the kids for being kids. I think the parents are still parents whether they are on vacation or in church. Parenting is not a part time job.

Maybe a brief reminder in the cruise documents would help. Such as a short paragraph reminding parents of smaller children that uncontrolled behavior could result in injuries or property damage.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Do you actually think the parents whose children are the culprits would pay attention to such a reminder, Thomas?

*sigh* I'm so cynical....

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Carnival Fantasy

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Kids Gone wild

I guess it would be better than nothing. The current practice of not advising parents to control their kids isn't working either.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:59 PM
Admiral

I would hate to have this happen but it might come down to making some sort of code of conduct seminar mandatory - like Muster Drills. If parent's aren't willing to control their own kids.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 01:22 PM
Admiral

To CruiseMates staff:

Would I get thrown off the board if I flamed another poster?

thanks,

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Old April 23rd, 2003, 03:30 PM
Admiral

No Marc, but the post would be deleted. <G> You know the rules.
Jim

Old April 23rd, 2003, 03:41 PM
First Mate

I agree with Thomas. At least there is effort shown on part of the company. Now if I wanted the whole gang to come along and go wild, we would go to Universal Studios or Disney and have a riot. Time and place for everything. Of course, the same parents can party down on one of the beaches and let their kids run wild to get it out of their system and probably not do any damage. I would love to hear Marc's solution. Please email me if you have a good one. Thanks, Denise

Old April 23rd, 2003, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Ok, I am not going to flame anyone. However, this statement:

"For children to run down the corridor to their room galumphing and squealing is one thing--but for them to be so wild that they knock an old lady over is another."

causes me great concern. It is NOT allowable for childrem galumph and squeal down the passageways of a ship. Especially, in the areas of the cabins. The actual act of knocking over an old (or young) lady is not the point; it is the fact that the act can lead to such an occurrence. In addition, not everyone sleeps at the same time. Your children may be squealing when I may be sleeping.

Another of the oft mentioned "allowable" pranks for children is the removal of "Do Not Disturb" signs from doors. There is no redeeming value to this act and should be punished by keelhauling (IMHO).

ok,
my two cents ( and I think I stayed within board rules),

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old April 23rd, 2003, 04:53 PM
First Mate

Well said Marc. I never thougth about the sleeping factor. I suppose the parents with kids on board do not realize that others may have been up pretty late and dont want to be disturbed by the little "darlings". Perhaps those onboard without kids could request a cabin level be designated - no children. Idea? Thanks, Denise

Old April 23rd, 2003, 06:11 PM
First Mate

Hi, Marc et al.

No need to flame me to challenge me! ; )

My own daughter does not galumph and squeal, but little kids are little kids. If you've ever volunteered at a kindergarten (and I have) you know! They're not being evil, they're being enthusiastic. And a long corridor is an invitation to run, if you're a tot. Of course, people may be sleeping during the hours when kids are awake, and prefer that everyone going past their door tiptoe, and personally I'd make this a game with my child, but I think allowances for age have to be made.

I think we really need to distinguish between typical, everyday, child-having-fun behavior and behavior that results in real harm to person or property. I tolerate neighbors whose astounding snoring, raucous laughter, or amorous activities can be heard from my cabin or room. I would be quite a spoilsport if I asked them not to sleep, laugh or. . . romantically engage. Ditto the squealing child running to find his cabin.

On the other hand, some adults do things that really should be reprimanded by the nearest responsible person--like drinking to such excess they reel and vomit, or allowing their teens to do the same, or not supervising children who are too young to understand the rules of ship behavior.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 06:38 PM
Passenger

In response, why would a kindergartener be out on their own running to the cabin, particularly since most 5 yr olds would probably not be able to find their cabin AND if they are with their parents - why aren't the parents controlling the running & screaming past other cabins?

Post Edited (04-23-03 20:38)
Old April 23rd, 2003, 09:00 PM
First Mate

"chaos" in above post....yall please forgive my spelling as "spell checker" has me spoiled rotten and more often than not I quickly type a post, close and catch the blunders.....sorry. Denise

Old April 23rd, 2003, 09:20 PM
Sue Sue

My hubby and I returned from a back to back on the Paradise a few weeks ago. The first week the kids on board were pretty good. We saw parents with children in tow doing faimly type things on board. The groups of kids that did break away from the family units were very often occupied with playing board and card games. Also, they were very good with behaviour at the pool and walking track. Now the second week was another story. Talk about kids gone wild. Horrible, out of control behaviour does not even touch the point. So what can be done when it is obvious that things are out of control. One example was the running children in the hallway. I had had it with this one group of kids running down our hallway by the last night. I opened the door and yelled at them. The "Parent" and I use this title of honor loosely snapped back with kids will be kids. I snapped quickly with then I'm more concerned with the parenting. A security officer just happened by and I asked what could be done with the running in the hallways. He said he would mention it to the children should he come across them running. With the the kids ran by and he did NOTHING!!!!! I said there you go, do something. And for the matter of fact the children do not need to be talked to, it's the parents. Cruiselines need to lay it down to the parents. If a complaint is made they will be responsible for supervisor their children until the end of the cruise, or else...off of the ship. It works for the Paradise with smoking, why not. I do not believe it is asking more than what should be expected. If you are grown up, and have the kids, then TAKE CARE OF THEM. My husband and I did for the 18+ years before we sent our off to college. We planned only family vacations and kept the family unit intact for the trips. In fact, our first trip away without children was a 3 day weekend when our youngest was 16 and our oldest 19. So there it is. The way it should be according to SUE SUE. If I were Queen things would be perfect?????? Oh well, it's a thought at least.
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Admiral

If a kid is running in the hallway, stick your foot out the door and trip them. If they continue, second offense is keel hauling. Third offense should be sending them overboard. I do not have patience for some people's kids nor some kid's parents.

Carrie, just remember that we all have to live peacefully together in limited space. That requires "extra" consideration for others. I have never found children as big a problem as young adults who sometimes seem to have little consideration for others. I think cruise lines could differentiate themselves by how they enforce what rules (I think this was a topic of another thread). If the Paradise is going to let kids run wild, they should be upfront and say that that is the case. If, on the other hand, Voyager of the Seas enforces all rules concerning proper behaviour, they should let that be known also. Then, we as consumers, can make educated selections.

Sue Sue, one way to avoid the problem on Paradise is to sneak a back of cigarettes into the offending kid/parent's possession. Then inform ship staff.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old April 24th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

While as a teacher I need a break from kids on my vacation, I have no problem with more-or-less well-behaved children on cruises. Like others here, I DO have a problem with unruly, rude youngsters and, even moreso, with their parents. These are of the "it's our vacation and we'll do whatever we g/d please" mindset or worse - think their children are sweet, polite angels.

This thread has given me an idea... I'll bring a camera and make my own "Kids Gone Wild" video. No nudity; just the "angels" rioting in the adults-only hot tub, drinking and smoking, playing elevator tag and disrupting the shows. The grand finale of my program would be the tweenage girls on my last cruise who took piles of food and condiments from the buffet, mixed it all together on their plates and laughed hysterically at the poor waiter who had to clean it up. I would distribute my show for free to any parents who claimed "not my kid."

Jo
Old April 24th, 2003, 12:54 PM
First Mate

I think just about everybody posting agrees on two things: (1) a certain amount of tolerance is necessary on a ship, but (2) the line has to be drawn somewhere. The issue then, is when to be tolerant and when to draw the line. Different people have different ideas about who is a "problem child" and why. Some people would apparently like to ban any child who doesn't act like a retiree <grin> . Others seem to feel the problem is "children of privilege" who are rude to the "help" and taught that rules don't apply to people of their class. Then there are those who view the problem as one of "lower class children" who "have no respect" and are taught that only "stuffed shirts" follow the rules.

When it comes to being cruel to the waitstaff, breaking things, etc., we can all agree that something should be done. The problem is that there will always be disagreement over whether other behaviors are just kids being kids (and hence should be tolerated) or unacceptably disruptive (and hence triggers for drawing the line). Like all other issues of standards of behavior (dress in the dining room being a biggie), you're going to get a wide range of opinions among a shipful of people. The best thing to do is what Marc says: remember that we all have to live peacefully together in limited space. Don't sweat the small stuff, and try to tolerate others' behavior and attitudes.

And remember, there's a difference between sailing the Radisson's Navigator and sailing RCI's Navigator. . . If you choose to take a "prime-time" cruise on a "family-friendly" ship, you really ought to have a high tolerance level for boisterous kids. (Personally, although I enjoy cruising with my daughter, you won't find me on the Voyager during spring break.)
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Carrie, well said!!!

F Scott Fitzgerald