Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2003, 04:03 PM
Yeoman

Default What dosage of Bonine?

We've read so many recommendations for Bonine that we deciced to go with that for our upcoming cruise. But I just found out that it comes in 12.5 mg., 25 mg., and 50 mg. dosages (at least the generic meclizine does). Which do we need? Also, should we take it once a day or twice?
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2003, 06:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: What dosage of Bonine?

I hate to give medical advice - so let me qualify this by saying what I do...

I'm looking at a box of 25 mg Bonine. The dosage says "for age 12 and over; take 1 or 2 tablets daily or as directed by a doctor."

My guess is that means it depends on your body weight and how bad the motion is. Bottom line, my preference is to take the least amount I need to take not to get sick. I am somewhat prone to motion sickness but Meclazine makes me tired - so I would probably start small (12 mg) and see how it goes.

However - if the motion is significant and I am really getting sick I don't fool around - I would probably take enough to prevent sickness (25 mg) before it strikes me even if it puts me to sleep. I doubt that I would need more than 25 mg ever, I have taken just one pill in extremely bad seas and been just fine.

Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Paul have you ever tried the scopolomine patches? My husband gets motions sickness and they usually work pretty well. Hope they will suffice for a cruise or do you think we should bring the bonine instead? I don't hear much about the patches, I hope they are strong enough. Thanks, Denise

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old April 24th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Admiral

bring the lowest dosage of Bonine. Chances are you won't even need it. If you are prone to motion sickness on land - when you ride in a car or fly on a plane then i would bring it just in case. The patch works really well for most people with minimal side effects. Consider the ginger treatment for slight motion sickness. Ginger candy, gingerale, ginger cookies. The best cure for motion sickness is fresh air. IF you feel it coming on - get outside on deck and breath deep the fresh sea air (ahhhhh) don't drug yourself if you don't need to.
Old April 24th, 2003, 09:35 PM
First Mate

I talked to my ear nose and throat doc as to what dose to take...and he told me to take Bonine two 25mg a day..and it sure worked for me.
I used the patch last year..and HATED it...it made me feel horrible...but some love it.

Mary Margaret
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:32 PM
First Mate

Hi,

I too don't like giving medical advice, especially because I'm a medical professional- that said- Please talk to your doctor and discuss your concerns and alternatives, there are many very effective anti-nausea medications that can be prescribed to you before you leave for your cruise.

As for Bonine (meclazine): When prescribed by your doctor it's prescribed as a 12.5mg tablet. How the dosage to be taken is written varies. Bonine OTC is a 25mg chewable tab. When I take it, I break it in half to make it 12.5mg. I feel that if the smaller dose works, all the better.

If you aren't sure motion sickness is a problem for you, your doctor may advise you to take a dose about an hour before you board the ship.

Compazine, available by prescription only, is a very effective anti-emetic. Antivert, Tigan and Reglan are also possibilities that your doctor may consider. Without getting too technical, these drugs work the same way antihistamines do - so drowsiness is always a possibility depending on how your particular system reacts to them. I've never had drowsy side effects that bothered me from any of them. Drinking is not advised while taking any of the medications mentioned, as it can exacerbate the side effects. The Scopolomine patch is another option, but the side effects can leave you feeling very drowsy. I saw my husband sleep so soundly he was drooling after putting one on before a fishing trip once. <G> Everyone reacts differently.

Sea-Bands have been known to work very well for some people. Ginger tablets, ginger tea and even ginger-ale are all reported to be soothing on the stomach.

I always give my doctor a call pre-cruise and ask his advice. I tell everyone who asks me to do the same. My feeling is - better safe than sorry. Once motion sickness progresses to vomiting, it's often hard to stop without medical intervention. (an injection of Compazine and Phenergan works miraculously). So, I'd say prevention is key.

If you start to feel ill, take something and get yourself outside. (Your balcony if you have one or an upper deck) Fresh air and focusing on the horizon helps to quell the confusion in the brain which is what starts the process to begin with. Limit your food and liquid intake until you are feeling better. Usually, your brain and middle ear adjust by the second or third day and if seas are calm you may not even notice anything and have no problems at all.

I hope I didn't confuse you. Again, a quick call to your doctor before you leave will set you at ease, and he may prescribe something for you to bring with you that he feels suits your needs best. Prevention is key. (did I say that enough times? lol- sorry)

Have a Great Cruise,
Deja
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Yeoman

Thanks everyone for the good advice! As always, you all give such good info!