CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   need an answer quickly (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/241978-need-answer-quickly.html)

MusingPoet May 7th, 2003 10:36 PM

need an answer quickly

Tomorrow I'm supposed to book this cruise. I've been reading all the messages I can about cruising and the Carnival Lines. We are going on The Legend. Is it true that you cannot bring sodas or booze on board to have in your room so you can have a drink before you go to bed or if you want to sit out on the balcony and have a drink. Not everyone wants to sit at a bar. The more I read the more disappointed i became...maybe this cruise isn't a good idea if a person can't even relax and enjoy a drink on their balcony when they are paying $8,000.00 (for 2 adults, 2 children) for this 8 day cruise (not including of course "tips")...
Someone from Carnival please respond.
Thank you.

CruisinDenise May 7th, 2003 10:56 PM

Re: need an answer quickly

Carnival officials won't respond on this board.

You can bring sodas.

You can stow-away booze, carefully wrapped, in your checked luggage, if you want.

You can order room-service wine, champagne and beer at any time for a fee.

LisaK May 8th, 2003 09:35 AM

you can purchase a soda sticker for your sign and sail card for unlimited sodas. You can "stash" booze in your checked baggage, just wrap it very carefully in Ziploc bags and bubble wrap. You can always order a drink from the bar and take it to your room to relax on the balcony.

CKing May 8th, 2003 11:40 AM

We have always taken sodas, beer and wine onboard in our checked luggage, and have never been questioned.

capn'kruzer May 8th, 2003 02:58 PM

Take whatever you want aboard...be prepared to be refused IF it is discovered and the cruise line wants to enforce their policy. I've carried NA beer and diet cokes onboard b/4 with No trouble. I've heard other folks stuff was held till EOC. Its a crap shoot.....probably be OK.. IMHO....A MORE troubling concern????? If you mated a bulldog and a shitsu, would it be called a bulls++t? Happy kruzin'
SSaFWs..ED

Nanatravel May 8th, 2003 03:41 PM

If you are paying $8000 for a family of four, you are paying way too much and can well afford the soda on board. ( Average 8 night cruise with Cat. 8 cabin per couple has been no more than $3000 including air at the Prime winter vacation period.) Carnival is trying to reduce the cases of personal beverages being brought on board. There are soda cards for kids ($19.95) and adults ($30). There is lemonade, iced tea and punch available all day at the buffet for free. If you can fit a 12 pack of soda in your checked luggage, do so, but the wasted space and weight would convince me I could do without it for a week.

krewson May 8th, 2003 07:13 PM

You can also buy the boze on the ship stores also. More time they might carge a 15% extra so you can take the bottle to you room

Brad

salem May 8th, 2003 08:09 PM

IF you can afford 8K can you afford to buy soda cards..and booze...this is a sore subject with me always....

Mary Margaret

Thomas May 8th, 2003 08:27 PM

I would also like to know why it costs that much. Even at $150 pp per day that comes out to $4800 which is high. I think you are not getting a good deal.

Regards,
Thomas

Ron May 8th, 2003 10:54 PM

$8000 for for 2 adults and 2 kids??? that's too much, even if you booked 2 suites. I would check with another travel agt. and compare prices.
If you can pay that much for a Carnival cruise, why oh why do you fret over a few dollars for drinks and cokes?

MusingPoet May 9th, 2003 08:16 AM

Re: Re: need an answer quickly

in reply to your response. The cabin my husband and I have is the catagory 11 private balcony suite and the suite next to it is a private balcony stateroom. We are going on an 8 day cruise. The actual cost of the cruise was $3,920.00 for the catagory 11 suite and then there was "non-commission Fare" of $278.00, cancellation insurance was $158.00 and then there were federaltaxes/fees of $94.26 (this is just for the one for my husband and myself) The other private balcony stateroom was$2,760.00 for the room, $278.00 for the non commission fare and another $159.00 for cancellation insurance and the $94.26 for the taxes. all & all the total was $7,740.52 so in the realm of a vacation if you add on our $669.00 train fare to get to NYC then yes, it was an $8,000.00 trip. Considering it's an 8 day cruise we didn't think this was too much to pay. I never said in the beginning that I was concerned about "sodas" because we can afford to pay for our drinks it's just that I was wondering why you couldn't have wine or liquor in your room fridge so you could fix your own drinks at night and not have to keep calling for room service. I was only reflecting on the messages that I have read on this forum. I don't think if you take say a small bottle of liquor on in your luggage for in room consumption it should be any big deal. You can if you go to a hotel. I didn't mean for this to be such a big concern. Sorry, I was just looking for some information.

CKing May 9th, 2003 08:34 AM

Don't apologize!

You are going on a cruise, and you had a question. That's what this board is all about.

It's not about money, it's about a person wanting to know if they can bring on a beverage for their enjoyment and convenience. Let's face it, if someone is concerned about affording beverages on a cruise, they should not be spending their money on vacation!

All those who criticize the amount they are paying for the cruise remember this.. there will always be people paying more and people paying less than you. The important thing is that you get exactly what you want, and are happy with the price/package. Some people are happy with inside cabins, and some people only want suites. It is all a personal preference.

My husband and I have paid more for a cruise than others because it is important that we get the cabin we want, and that's fine.

You go on your cruise and enjoy!

salem May 9th, 2003 01:08 PM

My opinion only...but I think the person was just being dramatic with the "$8,000.00" for a cruise.

Mary Margaret