Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Passenger

Default Insurance Question

Hello Everyone.

Well, now that I have paid for my cruise, I have to decide on what insurance to purchase.

The TA has sent us a brochure for a company called CSA Travel Protection. Has anyone had experience with this company? If so was it good? We are looking at purchasing the Gold Plan cause it also covers pre-existing conditions and since one of us is treated for back problems thought this might be a good idea.

Thanks for any feedback

Dale
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Insurance Question

Dale - check out http://www.insuremytrip.com This will give you a comparison of policies (you provide information and the site will give you policies, what they cover and the cost. CSA is a good carrier, as is Travel Guard, Access America and a few others.

Old May 11th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

LittleGiles

The only thing that people cautioned me about was not to buy insurance from the cruiseline itself, but unfortunately that was after I had purchased it. We have used CSA for a bike trip in Vermont. While we never filed a claim, they were available to answer all my questions and it was very easy to purchase.

First Cruise Radiance - Alaska

Old May 11th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Admiral

We had Access America, I had to visit the ship's Doctor and got a few injections, cost was $51, no problem getting reimbursed. Also cost of the insurance was less than $125 for both of us and covered total vacation (14 days). Well worth it in my opinion.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old May 11th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dale,
I've been using CSA for the past few cruises and have had no problems. I also have not had to file a claim either, I think thats the ultimate test. Good luck and enjoy the cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 11th, 2003, 06:05 PM
MaxMax

Insurance is a very individual decision. We have used one of the carriers mentioned above in the past for non-cruise vacations and been very happy with them. They were very helpful, the coverage met our needs, and we felt their pricing was reasonable.

For the cruise, however, we went with the cruiseline's insurance. As a rep from one of the other carriers pointed out to us, there is one significant advantage of booking with the cruiseline that is sometimes overlooked--their "changed my mind" coverage. Cruiselines offer this; the independents we called did not.

Trip cancellation coverage only kicks in if you have to cancel for one of the reasons defined by the policy. (Typically, death in the family, personal illness, etc.) If you cancel for some other reason, then insurance won't pay a thing. Though the cruiselines won't give you your money back if you cancel for a non-covered reason, you will at least get credits toward another cruise. I think the credit amount varies by cruiseline. With Celebrity, it is 75%. Though not the same as 100%, it woudl still better than losing everything.

On the flip side, cruiseline coverage tends to be more expensive than independents, and the amount of specific coverages tends to be a less. And at least in the case of Celebrity, there is no pre-existing waiver. So if you have a pre-existing medical condition that could potentially cause you to cancel your trip, you're probably best off with an independent.

One thing to watch out for, at least with cruiseline coverage, is the quoted premium. The cruiseline made a mistake with us, and we later learned that friends of ours had the same thing happen to them a couple of years ago. The premium initally quoted was incorrect (lower than it should have been). The error was not caught, however, until after the contract had been signed and we had paid in full. When the error was caught, the TA tried to pass along the increase to us. We argued the point and won. So save your paperwork, take careful notes, and question anything that seems awry.
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Admiral

good advise from all. We always purchase travel insurance.
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:53 PM
HannaS77

Default Re: Re: Insurance Question

I am of the opinion practically all of the cruise lines obtain the coverage thrugh Berkeley Care a Managing General Agency and the underwriting insurer( claim payor) is the National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh that does not offer waiving the pre-existing exlcusion in their Goup policies. Whether you know it or not you are a subscriber to a Group policy that usually is exempt from state insurnce department supervision acnd Unfair Claims Practices Laws.

CSA is a Managing General Agent and the Group policy is issued by a strong insurer. It might interest you to ask for a copy of their Group policy which is longer than the average Homeowner or Auto Policy combined. Why such a long policy with so many ifs, ands and buts ? P.S. I have used CSA and had no problem since I had no claim but I have read claims where CSA was not so benevolent but you cannot judge an insurer one or two claims that could go either way.
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Passenger

Just wanted to send a thanks to everyone for their help on this topic...both on the boards and off. I have decided to go ahead and use the CSA insurance after positive feedback from you and the Travel Agent (who just got back today from a cruise to Hawaii).

THANKS!!! You guys are the BEST!!!!

Dale
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Insurance Question

Hi Dale,
Just glad you went ahead and did get travel insurance, now lets hope you do not have to actually use it, happy cruising!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:12 AM
JREYNOLDS

When I pay for my cruise I have the TA include the insurance and pay the Travel company. If I need to file a claim I expect the TA to help me. Insurance company will listen more to TA then me as an individual since TA helps them sell more insurance.
Just a thought.
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:13 PM
HannaS77

We have used CSA in the past and had no adverse experience since we had no need to file a claim, CSA has one of the better pricing schedule, especially if someone is young and in good health. I have been concerned , as a retired insurance underwriter and claims executive that CSA needs to use a 21 page policy for such limited insurance. Too many"ifs, ands and buts"

We have used Travelex for many yars, twice had to cancel a cruise due to physical injury pior to the embarkation date and have had no problem collecting from the insurer but we have had a hassle from the cruise line for their share fare iafter cancellation. Of interest, Travelex was the first insurer to waive pre-existing condition exclusion. My only adverse point is that the premium tends to be high.

HannaS77
Old June 6th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Passenger

We used CSA a few years ago and it was fine. There was another company on insuremytrip.com which was a little cheaper.

Be careful of the pre-existing conditions clauses. Some don't cover a pre-existing condition if you had it at the time you booked - only new problems. Others cover problems if they are under control when you book. How do you know what that means. Still others would cover a pre-existing condition of a relative who keeps you from traveling, but not for yourself.

Hurry - most have a one or two week time period where they cover pre-existing conditions at all.
Old June 21st, 2003, 11:18 AM
cruiseco

Also check http://www.travelproservices.com They also have lots of plans to compare and unlike insuremytrip they'll also mail brochures to you to look over
Old June 22nd, 2003, 06:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Would like to echo how useful the site "Insuremytrip" is. Makes it very easy to compare different companies and it shows the underlying insurer for each. If you have delayed obtaining insurance and can no longer get the pre-existing conditions waiver, it is also worth checking out the individual sites that offer travel insurance because they also have additional products not shown on "Insuremytrip." For example, TravelGuard offers a "Peace of Mind" policy which contains many of the same features as the "regular" policies but is MUCH cheaper (e.g., my insurance went from approx $150 to approx $50). The PRIMARY differences (according to my reading of the D.O.C.) is that this policy does NOT include trip cancellation insurance (although trip interruption insurance is still provided). Also, although medical evacuation coverage is similar, the cheaper policy only covers medical treatment received during the actual cruise, not any additional costs that may be incurred after the cruise.

Navigator of th