Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:31 PM
dustyroad

Default airport xray and film???

i havent traveled in awhile and thought i read a post about the xray machines ruining their camara film? do i need to show the camara by hand to them when i go through the security point. i know i will carry it on and not have it in my check in luggage ( unless this is the best thing to do?). if anyone can tell me how to protect my film please let me know. thanks dusty
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: airport xray and film???

The Ft. Lauderale Airport kept announcing to everyone not to put film in checked luggage. I guess now the x-rays are really hard on the film in the checked baggage. You will still have to run your camera through the scanner but it isn't as intense as the baggage x-rays. This was just last week for us. We didn't know this and I packed the extra rolls of film in our suitcase. We just got back from our Caribbean cruise Sunday and now worried that our pictures won't turn out. I wish I had known that before we left. Hopefully nothing too bad happened. My husband took some digital, but not near as many as I took. I took about 10 rolls.

Old May 24th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Andee Bram

We put film in our carry-on luggage in lead lined bags. They've always made it through the security check, no questions asked, but we're prepared to open the bags if security personnel want us to. The signs at the airport advise not putting film in checked luggage, as those x-rays are stronger.
Old May 25th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Passenger

I went last week through airport security in Atlanta during the time it was Security Orange. I brought 10 rolls of film (800 speed). This is extremely sensitive to X-rays. I put them in a zip lock bag loose without the containers so that they could easily be examined. They took them and walked them around the x-ray. I did this on 3 separate occasions and encountered no objections. If you value your film, try this out.
Old May 25th, 2003, 04:53 AM
dustyroad

what are lead lined bags and where do you find them. actually i have never heard of them before. i wont put my film in my checked luggage for sure now.

thanks everyone. dusty
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:12 AM
AR

There have been many posts about this, and some especially good ones about two months ago.

1. From now on, don't ever, ever put film in checked baggage. They're using the equivalent of CAT scans on them, and film will be zapped, period. This isn't even open for discussion.

2. Lead bags are OK, except that sometimes the lead bags show up as suspicious items, so you're back where you started. They're really of marginal use.

3. Best plan: ask for hand inspection. TSA personnel at airports will comply. It can be more difficult at foreign ports/airports, and even on the ships themselves. If all else fails, you can put them through the screening machines at the security checkpoints, which are low-dose machines. If everything's calibrated OK, the film should be able to withstand one or two passes with no noticeable effect. However, you must remember that x-radiation is cumulative, so the danger grows with each subsequent pass.

4. There are some good film labs in the US that will provide mailers to send your film back. When I'm overseas I stop at a post office after every couple rolls and ship the film. This keeps it out of subsequent x-rays, and the pix are often waiting when I get home.

5. Some people get their film developed aboard ship for the same reason. This is fine, too, but they're more costly and the quality is a bit more spotty than the best labs at home.

AR
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:29 AM
dustyroad

Default Re: Re: airport xray and film???

AR

thanks for the great info. i will carry on my film and ask for hand inspection. and i could send it home also from the ports too. great idea. dusty
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Andee Bram

We bought the lead lined bags many years ago at a camera shop. We always think they're going to show up as a black void on the security x-ray for carry-on luggage, and that we'll be asked to open them, but that's never happened--even since Sept 11. Some of the x-ray machines for checked luggage are not out where passengers can see them, so it wouldn't be possible to ask the personnel to remove your film before your bag gos through the x-ray machine.
Old May 25th, 2003, 04:41 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: airport xray and film???

Andee--

Let's be very clear: the film does not go in checked baggage, period, lead bags or no. So the issue of passing them around doesn't come into play, because you haven't put the film in your checked baggage. Ever. The doses used for checked bags are so high that the lead foil wraps may not offer nearly enough protection. Carry all your film with you and ask for hand inspection at the security checkpoint.

AR