Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:22 PM
SSinCT

Default Best Caribbean Cruise Family?

Would you take your 4 1/2 year old and tired husband on 7 day Disney cruise in July? Also looking at Radisson Diamond with Kids Sail Free program. Advice??
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Best Caribbean Cruise Family?

Husband would probably really prefer Radisson, but I don't think they have a children's program (even with their promo). Disney has a GREAT children's program and you and husband could get some quality down time together while your child is occupied with Mickey and Company. There are adult only areas on the Disney ships; but Diamond would be much more laid back and peaceful. If Radisson, for some reason does have a children's program with their promo, then I would chose Radisson, but otherwise I would give the nod to Disney because then you would get some quiet downtime with hubby. jmho

Old May 27th, 2003, 09:29 PM
SSinCT

Default Re: Re: Best Caribbean Cruise Family?

Hi Lisa - thanks so so much for responding. Radisson claims to have a program for 5 to 11 years olds, but there is no way to know how many will be onboard of course and the ship is normally a small ship. Disney gave me an extra night to think about it....this is so tough. I know Radisson won't repeat this itinerary with kids and country club casual attire next year. Also they sent me a program of their planned ideas - would you risk it? How many cruise have you done? Debating along in CT tonight....
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

I've been on 8 cruises, but I never have taken a child with me. Personally, if it were me, I would go for Radisson, but I don't know your child and how well they would do in a quieter setting with maybe not a lot of other children their age on board. I wish I could help you more!

Old May 27th, 2003, 10:17 PM
SSinCT

Lisa - again thanks. She is fairly active. The other option is just to plant ourselves at the Four Seasons Nevis, a resort we love and have not been too since our daughter was born. Why is vacation planning so agonizing! Wow everyone is so active on these boards! I use to promote Cunard Cruise Lines and always wanted to sail with my family once I turned 40. Now it's my big birthday and wanted to do something special...I just wish Radisson had some history on this particular sailing with the Diamond. Which was your favorite cruise of the 8? Also re quiet, she is the type that likes to "perform" for everyone - so my fear is that other adults may or may not find her charming on a smaller ship....
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:20 AM
David Starkey

Based on ship quality its Rad by a mile...., but with the kids issue I think you and your child would have a better time on Disney.
I have been on cruises where kids were not the norm and it wasn't so great for my own kids. I would sail Disney if you are bringing the "little one".
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just wondering why these are the only two you have limited yourself to? There are alot of great ships and itinerarys out there that are good for tired husbands and four year olds.
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Admiral

My favorite of the 8 cruises was an 11 day repo from Honolulu to Vancouver on the Celebrity Summit....great ship and crew and went with a large group of my friends and we had a great time.

Based on what you told me about your daughter, I would book Disney, but I would also check out Celebrity and Princess, if those might be options for you.

Old May 28th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Passenger

If the program is for 5-11 year olds, and your child is only 4 1/2, I'd be careful. Some cruiselines adhere very strictly to the age requirements.
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:42 AM
lisagro

Hi, this is another Lisa! We are about to go on our third cruise with our now ten year old daughter. The first one we went on was the Big Red Boat when she was five. She enjoyed the cruise much more than Disney! She loved the kids' program; couldn't wait to go there whenever she was with us. Last cruise was Carnival's Paradise; loved the non-smoking environment. Child was 7. We always take the child with us on the excursions we book, even though you can leave them on the ship. The Big Red boat had activities for children on shore as well; we went snorkeling while she went on a treasure hunt with the kids. I think you will love a cruise with a 4 1/2 year old, providing that she will leave you and spend some time in the kids' programs. Think about Carnival; very low key, casual, and kid-friendly. Plus it's a big cheaper!
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:30 AM
SSinCT

Thank you - I had picked these two ships because the Radisson does not normally sail the Diamond in the Caribbean and it was luxury setting with a kids sail free program.

Our daughter will be almost 5 (6 weeks away from her birthday - and is in a 5's program now - I am more worried that Disney allows her into the 5-7 program, she is way to advance for the 3-4 both emotionally and mentally). Radisson said she could be in their program.

Disney was the other alternative b/c of the reputation for kids. Also we have the advantage of my getting a travel benefit on either of these two lines only which puts our costs at lot less than most ships. We are a well traveled family, I did PR in the airline/hotel/destination arena for the past 20 years so I don't want to compromise on our tastes. We don't like crowds and pushy/loud people. When you travel for biz over 200,000 miles a year for work, a vacation has to be relaxing - so these are big factors for us. Also, I get claustrophobic in crowds sometimes. I also have a disability with my leg, which prevents me from standing on it these days for long periods and walking for long distances....so many factors to consider now when we travel!
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Admiral

OK - after hearing that, I would say go for Radisson. Smaller ship, less standing, and if they say they will accept your daughter in the children's program, go for it! (Aren't I being wishy washy today! )

Old May 28th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Admiral

After your last post, I would suggest Radisson as well. It sounds like the best cruise for your family. Perhaps you can pack some new books and games or something for your daughter in case there aren't that many kids along, to keep her from getting bored.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old May 28th, 2003, 07:28 PM
SSinCT

Thanks all! Now decision time! I really would like to book Radisson, but if our daughter is less than perfect, can we survive the ice treatment I am sure will ensue....I'll let you know the final decision!!
Old May 31st, 2003, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Just got off the Diamond...there were about six or seven kids. Diamond does have a kids program run by Wendy but (IIRC) is for ages 6-17. Diamond was FANTASTIC! Take your kid and enjoy! One word of warning...if your child is prone to misbehaving, please don't take your child along because you will receive plenty of cold shoulders. Otherwise, you will find that you will have many helpers looking over you kid.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 4th, 2003, 10:02 PM
SSinCT

Marc - thanks for replying again. Like I said before wish we could have chatted sooner -I kept watching the message board hourly last week for replies!! Oh well. My daughter is really bright and animated, but as the age dictates she can melt down at times and I actually told my husband that I was worried we would be "cold shouldered" if this occurred on the Radisson - figured on Disney she would blend better. I use to do marketing for a luxury cruise line 15 years ago so I know how people can be....I hope we made the right choice. I am now finding out that b/c she is 2 months shy of her 5th birthday, there are many activities that she cannot do on the ship or on shore excursion that I was looking forward to doing on my 40th birthday. Enjoy your travels and fond memories of the recent cruise. By the way were the kids in my daughter's age range on your cruise??? SS
Old June 5th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Admiral

SS, I think you made the right choice as far as your daughter is concerned. I myself would prefer Radisson but maybe that's something for you to do just with husband. I too have a mature precocious daughter. She was 10 when she 1st cruised but in thinking back to how she was at that age, Disney is the safer bet for all concerned! Congrats on your 40th, what a wonderful way to celebrate. I just took my family to Cancun for my husbands 45th and we had a blast. Happy sailing to you!

Diane
Old June 7th, 2003, 12:02 AM
SSinCT

Aren't you sweet! Hope your Mexico vacation was nice too! I don't know if congrats is in order - I think if I am at sea perhaps it doesn't count that I turned 40??? Thanks for making me feel better about my decision! Although, I really really wanted to take the Diamond (and so did my husband!), but one meltdown on her part at the wrong time and I would have felt horrible on a small ship! At least on Disney that really won't count! I just hope this is the right idea for us - at least it is a "goofy" way to turn 40! Fingerscrossed we'll all like this!