Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default The Demographics of cruising

Has anybody considered the future of the cruise industry?

I was asking myself:-

1. What do people look forward to in a cruise?
2. Where do they want to go?
3. How long do they want to go for?
4. Who do they want to go with?
5. How much do they want to pay?

And I thought:-

1. These days there's a shift in opinion away from the belief that cruises are for retired people. Younger people are taking cruises, either in the form of families or young couples. So - something must have attracted them. You are almost guaranteed to get:-

Sun
Fun
Great Food
Bars open
Entertainment
Visiting different places without having to repack your bags
And - and this is probably VERY important...... lots of value for your money.

2. This is a big topic. Some people like to be at sea and others want to do 'a port a day'.
Those who prefer to stay at sea don't really mind where the ship is going, probably though somewhere sunny. Those who want to do a port a day want to see beautiful and/or historic places. The Caribbean is favourite (it seems) followed by the Mediterranean, then come cruises to places that are reachable in 7 days (round trip) from the main cruising ports. Finally there are world cruises. The problem is, for people in the US, North and South America together with Canada are the easiest places to 'do'. Going further afield than that means taking long flights which eat into valuable vacation time. (US working people have 2 weeks vacation per year I believe. European employees get 4 weeks). On the flip side - Europe can 'do' the Med and Baltic in 7 days easily. Caribbean means a 2 week slot which isn't too bad as it still leaves people with 2 weeks vacation to take.

The point is, what about the Far East and Austalia? If cruise lines could open up these regions (which means flying there), there's a whole new world to discover!!!. The main cruise markets are the US and Europe (within Europe - UK, Germany, France). The US market being the largest is the one that HAS to 'agree' to going further afield. But, people are still nervous about flying, and remember - there's still the 2 week problem if you're going that far away. I think it's important to take vacation time into consideration IF cruise lines want to attract those who have not yet retired. That 'chunk' of market is too small to ignore. As it is, the only reason I do not go on a cruise more often is that I just don't have the leave available to me!!!!!

Of course, the big influencing factor too is cost. The further you go - the more it costs.

Pity that we can't re-arrange some of the continents from time to time!!!!

3. 7 days seems the favourite. 14 days is next favourite. Then 24, 31, and world cruises which are abuot 109 to 120 days. I prefer the 14 day option. 7 days is too short. And you?

4. Often it's couples, singles, families and groups of friends together. In that order I reckon.

5. This is what a lot of it boils down to. Cost. The variation in cost is tremendous. Late deals are all around with 7 day cruises for $500. At the other end of the market - there are people ready and happy to pay 6 figure sums. I think that ships are becoming a very attractive choice for vacations. Land based accomodation is costly these days, and for example, hotels on land cannot 'hold on' to your wallet like a ship can. People spend a vast proportion of their cash on board. Cruising is getting cheaper and families really can now go together whereas 30 years ago cruising was for the well heeled.

Okay. I've put my thoughts forward. And here's my bottom line question.

How can cruise lines extend their arena of operation to greater include the Far East and Australia at a cost and duration that will be acceptable to US and European cruisers?

I've been wanting to do a QE2 sector in the Far East/Australia - but all the options are too long. Anybody know of a 2 week cruise in that region departing from the UK?

Pete :o)
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2003, 09:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: The Demographics of cruising

1 - Relaxation where everything is taken care of and the only thing I have to do is decide what I want to do & eat.
2 - Any place with better wather than home. Any place with beautiful blue water. If I'm traveling alone places I want to see (the Baltic, Mediteranian, Asia) that it's much to much work travel by myself.
3 - 2 week minimum. Have added post cruse packages if the cruise isn't for 14 days.
4 - Friend, alone and lastly extended family. When the extended family goes I'm the one who ends up taking care of everything & it's not really a vacation for me.
5 - $100/day/person plus air fare, shore excusions & shopping.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: The Demographics of cruising

How can cruise lines extend their arena of operation to greater include the Far East and Australia at a cost and duration that will be acceptable to US and European cruisers?

This is a question cruise lines ask themselves every day. Renaissance had a good idea with its Tahiti cruises - it chartered a regular flight from Hawaiian Airlines to fly there which reduced the cost pretty significantly.

The airlines and cruise lines are often at odds which makes it difficult to get things like this done.

Even San Juan is having a problem now because te Southern Carib cruises are cheap. but the air is prohibitive.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 02:39 PM
lysolq

Default Re: Re: The Demographics of cruising

Agreed!
As cruise prices have become more reasonable, airfare has become more expensive and the accompanying restrictions, increasingly more outrageous. Isn't that at least part of the reason cruiselines have been looking for more home ports in the US - so passengers can drive to ports of embarkation rather than fly?