Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2003, 05:33 PM
toley

Default Canadian Beef

Will be spending pre-cruise time in Montreal soon and were wondering if the Mad Cow problem is still an issue. Will we need to avoid beef in Canada? Since we plan on eating at one restaurant known for steaks, etc. that would be too bad. There would be some very unhappy pre-cruisers in our party.
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2003, 05:51 PM
BCMOM

Default Re: Canadian Beef

PLEASE EAT OUR BEEF!! It is completely and udderly(no pun intended) safe! Sometimes I think the media blows things totally out of proportion and gives us poor northern folks a black mark....I can understand why some other countries maybe leary of eating our beef, or visiting our lovely Toronto, but come on folks...Canada is a huge country with a lot of very strict guidelines in health related industries...we are totally safe, clean, and Canadian..Come on up and eat our BEEF!!
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:15 PM
First Mate

Well I'm a beef lover and have been eating no less beef than before they found the single cow that was mad. I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion here so will continue to eat Canadian beef.

richard
Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:02 PM
BCMOM

Default Re: Re: Canadian Beef

Bravo, Richard!!
Old June 24th, 2003, 04:48 AM
toley

Any thoughts on where is the best place to eat that beef in Montreal? Have to make the most of our limited time.
Thanks,
Toley
Old June 24th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Desert Orchid

Canadian beef is as safe as it has always been and I should know Im a Brit.!!
We were, according to our press overwhelmed with 'Mad Cows' in the U.K. most folks from the farming areas like myself continued eating beef and always will do.
Not many years ago we had some slightly off balanced person telling us not to eat eggs because they were riddled with salmonella-but we all continued eating them.
When the day arrives that I find myself walking backwards with a demented glazed look in my eyes,swishing my tail violently around and bellowing-then and only then I may decide to give up steaks!!!!
Enjoy the Canadian beef it is o.k..and have a lovely time in the country that is high on my list of 'Must go to'.
Old June 24th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Toley, you might want to ask this question on the Chit-Chat board, as I know there are several Canadians and even one or two native Montreal residents who post on there. They're sure to point you in the right direction!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old June 24th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There's no problem with our beef. I'm a beef eater, and haven't changed my ways and I'm still kicking.
Just after the news of the outbreak Mrs Kuki and I went out for dinner, and I ordered my usual steak. The waiter asked.... What about the Mad Cow??
I said... she'll have the fish.

A couple of years back on a visit to Montreal Moishe's Steakhouse was recommended to us. We had a great meal and a great time.
On the same street if you want some amazing deli is Schwartzies.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 25th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Cruiseryyc

We're only serving "happy cows" now - no mad ones!!
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:42 PM
toley

Thanks for the advice and the laughs. I needed both. Good to see there are still folks with a sense of humor.
Toley
Old July 8th, 2003, 12:32 PM
TimT

Dear Toley: I don't think anyone took the mad cow scare too seriously in Canada. They tracked the ancestry down on that one cow and are quite secure they got the only one infected. I know beef prices never dropped in the grocery stores!

Go to Montreal and eat Canadian beef (or boeuf, or bifteck as it may be called in Montreal) to your heart's content.

Montreal has so many excellent restaurants that you will be hard-pressed to pick one or two! As mentioned, Moishe's is a great steak house, La Queue de Cheval ("The Horse's Tail) opposite the Sheraton hotel in downtown Montreal has superb steak and seafood (very pricey, even in Canadian $$) but has great service, ambiance, etc. If you want a great place in "Old Montreal" which is situated in the old city in very old buildings, try Gibby's. They have great steaks and seafood, at more reasonable prices.

Schwartz's Delicatessen, which was opened in 1922, is an authentic Kosher deli. It would be more suited to a lunch, because it is not fancy--you sit beside strangers on benches at tables. This is part of its allure--it hasn't changed much in 80 years! Great Smoked Meat (Corned Beef, pastrami, etc), and they do have steaks and other grilled meats. The walls are covered with autographed photos of the many luminaries that have dined over the years--Barbara Streisand, Presidents, Prime Ministers, sports stars, etc.

Your biggest problem will be to choose. Bon Appetit.

Tim
Old July 9th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Beginner

A quick question on the Canadian Mad Cow, what were the final answers? Any explaination why the test took so long (4 Month delay?) Where did the cow end up? Not fear mongering or anything, I just know our neighbors to the north will have much better info on the subject.

-Bill
Old July 9th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Cruiseryyc

Actually the only item of information that has come out is that the cow came from a herd in the USA!!! The border is still closed to Canadian Beef and everyone involved in the industry is suffering terribly.
Old July 9th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Beginner

Cruiseryyc, what is your basis for saying the Cow came from the US?
There are reports there is a small chance that the cow came from the US but a CFIA Offical merely said that they can not prove where the cow was born but that they are 95% sure that it was born in Canada. The possible US orgin of the cow may be a Red Herring or CYA move since the Canadian PM talked to GW Monday about lifting the beef ban. But is there any real info as for the reason for the delay in testing the cow?