Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Passenger

Default need advice on New York

Hi,

We ae thinking about a cruise that leaves out of New York..is this city a hassle to sail from? I live in a small town in MI and NY kinda freaks me out....What airport is best to fly into? Ideas on where ( or where NOT) to stay over night? Ground transport (besides a cab)...I could leave it all up to the travel agent, but people that have actually been there, done that..you know more. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: need advice on New York

There is nothing about NY that should scare you in any way perhaps other than things are bigger, and faster than in the midwest. Cruising from NY is a treat in and of itself.
There is nothing like sailing down the middle of the Hudson with the Manhattan skyline on one side and the Statue of Liberty on the other side. Then sailing past Brooklyn and Staten Island and under the Verizano Bridge and out to sea. Do It.
If you are afraid of the city (which you shouldn't be), let your TA make arrangements for
transfers and hotels through the cruise line. This way you will avoid all the decisions and hassles of hotel choices, cabs etc etc.
If you are not afraid to travel on your own NY is not a problem There is nothing wrong with cabs from the airport and to the pier. Fares from the airport to Manhattan are set fares and everywhere else you are on the meter.
I suggest using one of the on line services to book a hotel. They will let you pick the area and star rating of the hotel.
Piers are located on the west side of Manhattan between 45th St and 58th street (roughly) and you can't really get lost. It can actually sometimes be faster to get let off on the opposite side of the highway and walk accross the street if traffic is heavy.
Old June 26th, 2003, 08:37 AM
JamesLK

Keep in mind that staying in Manhattan is going to be expensive, but as PapaBill says, it is one GREAT experience.

All the old stories about rudeness and cab drivers ripping you off is not true - taking a cab in NYC is better that most places, and I have done extensive business travel over the years.

One thing you might try to do is to see a Broadway show - you certainly won't be disappointed. Check with your Travel Agent about this, and remember that if you buy tix the same day you can get them half-price on many good shows. Of course, if you don't stay near mid-Manhattan this would not be practical. jlk
Old June 26th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: need advice on New York

I agree with PapaBill - the departure out of NY Harbor is by far the most profound of any cruise I've been on. It's an excellent way to start out an excellent cruise!

I recommend flying into Newark Liberty airport and using a car service into Manhattan. You could also take a train from the airport to Penn Station in NY, but then you have the hassle of luggage, taxis, etc. We stayed at a charming hotel not far from the pier, called Ian Schrager's Hudson Hotel. We booked it through TravelZoo.com, where they seem to offer exceptional rates not available through regular channels. There are loads of nice hotels in NY, but do your homework if you book it yourself. You should have no trouble getting a decent hotel within a few dollars' cab ride to the pier.

Since you're coming from so far away you really should try and add a day before/after the cruise to explore NY. You will see there is nothing scary about it, and hopefully appreciate some of the excitement NY has to offer.

Cheers,
MaryC
Old June 26th, 2003, 12:40 PM
char Hempler

We have our next cruise all set up already. But our group is seriously thinking of any cruise from NY.. It sounds great and exciting. We have been leaving from the ports that have a great time for us the day before and the day after too. NY sounds to be a great place to cruise from. I am keeping it open for our next cruise after this one. Sounds like fun! Char
Old June 26th, 2003, 12:44 PM
AR

Please don't be afraid of my old hometown!

It is spectacular, unique, life-affirming, and it creates a feeling of energy and wonder like few other places can. Keep your eyes open, smile at people, ignore any petty annoyances, and you are sure to fall in love with the Big Town.

New Yorkers may have a different take on life than you do, but in their hearts and souls they are no different than you. In my experience you get pretty much what you expect to get from anyplace you visit. So the trick is just having a positive attitude and letting the place overwhelm you with its variety.

And it's true: sailing from New York is not only fun, but moving and tremendously evocative. Do a little homework beforehand, and learn some of the details about Ellis Island, about the ships that brought so many of our forebears to that great harbor. Let the statue fill your heart--and while you're at it take a moment to reflect that it was given to us by the French people who we now revile. Pass lower Manhattan, and ask someone where the towers stood. Then bow your head.

As you pass the Brooklyn Bridge, marvel at it's perfect proportions and its gothic towers. Read Whitman's "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry," and ponder the fact that if Brooklyn had not become a borough of New York City, it would--on its own--now be the fourth most populous city in the country.

Before you cruise, take a ride on the subway. You can do it. Maybe the 7 train to Shea Stadium for a ball game, or the 1 train down Broadway to Battery Park.

See a show. Visit a museum. Buy a hot dog on the street. Visit Radio City, possible the most famous theater in the nation. Go to a cabaret show, a jazz club, a comedy club.

And eat!! Anywhere.

I promise you'll come back to New York for more.

AR
Old June 26th, 2003, 01:58 PM
JamesLK

I put in my 2 cents before, but just a couple more comments.

As you can see above, no one has said a bad word about NYC. In fact, the next time I go I will try some of the things mentioned above. If you like deli food, the Stage Deli and Carnegie Deli, both on 7th Ave, in the theatre district, is great, and there are other great ones also (if you are planning a big dinner, be careful at the delis at lunch because the portions are huge). But, SEE THAT SHOW!

On the lighter side, the one dangerous thing in the City is walking during rush hours when it is raining - you have to be careful that you don't get your eye polked out by an umbrella. jlk
Old June 26th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Ok..Ok...We're gonna go! Didn't realize you could see all those great landmarks from the ship. And like someone said somewhere on this site, a bad day cruising is still better than a good day at work! Thanks so much!!!!!
Old June 26th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

One more thing (very important!): When you get to the top of the escalator, KEEP MOVING! Have fun, MaryC
Old June 26th, 2003, 03:28 PM
lysolq

My husband and I were both born and raised in NY. We've raised our family in a suberb in NJ, but continue to enjoy frequent visits into "the city" for theater, dinner, etc. As native New Yorkers, we've probably seen it all, but there is absolutely nothing as breathtaking as sailing into and out of New York harbor. We love cruising and have sailed into/out of many beautiful ports, but nothing comes close to leaving from or arriving in NY harbor. Don't let the city intimidate you - for all its problems, it really is user friendly. Don't miss the opportunity to sail out of NY harbor, it's as exciting and spectacular as any sailaway can be!
Old June 26th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Passenger

Hi,

Just a suggestion for some clean, nice, budget hotels... On The Ave (www.ontheave-nyc.com) located uptown on broadway (near Lincoln Center & Central Park), Habitat Hotel (don't know website but its an affiliate of On The Ave) located on the east side on 57th Street, and Broadway Inn (www.broadwayinn.com) located in the heart of the theater district, 8th Avenue & 46th Street. You can get a room for under $150/night last I checked. Anytime I have family and friends coming into the city, I book one of these hotels... Broadway Inn is my fave 'cause its so conveniently located ( but the building is not wheelchair accessible)

Good luck - and if you come to new york, you need to buy a hot dog (do NOT ask what's in it) and sit in central park. Have fun!

Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:24 PM
Doug Gunn

After reading all of the advice I just went out an booked a cruise that leaves New York September 27, I also come from a small town in the midwest and will be looking foward to the big city.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:29 PM
Passenger

You aren't by any chance on Carnival Victory are you? If so...we need to look each other up!
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:41 PM
AR

Good for you. Early fall is a wonderful time in the city.

AR
Old July 7th, 2003, 09:45 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: need advice on New York

This will be our 30th cruise, but the first one from New York. We're going on the Carnival Pride from New York in August to Bermuda. Carnival wanted to charge us $74 each for transfers from the Newark airport to Manhatten. We're taking 7 familly members and we're looking for cheaper ground transportation. The car services you mention; can you get them at the time you arrive in the Newark airport or do you have to reserve them ahead of time? I've never been to New York before and I'm also from the midwest and I must confess, the thought of hiring a cab in NY has me concerned. I guess we've heard too many horror stories about NY and cab drivers. I'm excited to be seeing NY from a cruise ship but I am a little nervous about New York itself. Maybe after this cruise, we'll return to see the city itself. Happy Cruising......
Old July 7th, 2003, 03:23 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: need advice on New York

I've ridden in countless New York cabs and limos over 50 years and don't have a single horror story to tell.

Cabs are the gondolas of the city. If they were as "horrible" as the fables people tell about them, the city couldn't function.

Read my lips: It's just no big deal.

If you want to rent a limo from Newark, that's fine. Probably cheapest for a party your size. But do me a favor: stop worrying.

AR
Old July 10th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Default Forget the transfers.. Take a limo

Garden, Doug and others...
I'm sitting at my desk, looking over Bryant Park and the NY Public LIbrary (http://www.bryantpark.org/) counting the days till my Alaska cruise.

For the price of the transfers ( if not less) you can have either a town car or a limo pick you up from the airport to the hotels. The driver checks the flights and will meet you at baggage claim.

As far as which airport? It depends on WHEN you'll be arriving, but I'd go with LaGuardia or Newark.

If you need tickets to a show, I know a good ticket broker (not cheap but GOOD).

If you have ANY questions, please e-mail me and I'll get back to you quickly.

37 Days and counting.

Steve the Stocktrader

Steve the Stocktrader