Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Irv

Default turbulence, maiden voyages

Is there more turbulence on ships on the NY-Canada route than in the caribbean? I have two elderly parents and I'm concerned about this issue. Also, is it a good or bad idea to go on a maiden voyage of a new ship?
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Default Re: turbulence, maiden voyages

Normally the Atlantic Ocean is more turbulent than the Caribbean - but you can get Atlantic sailings that are as smooth as glass, and Caribbean voyages that are choppy(usually means a storm). The Atlantic is usually at its best in summer. As for maiden voyages, personally i don't like them, i like to travel on a ship that has "proved itself" so to speak - worked the bugs outs with crew, schedules and things like that.
Old June 30th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Ships sailing out of NYC are in the Atlantic Ocean. Historically, these seas can be higher and rougher than the smooth Caribbean. This is the reason ships primarily sail these waters in the Summer months when they are smoother. The increase of these newer larger vessels sailing out of NYC and Boston indicate they are good cruises and this is a good time of year with nice new itineraries. I would stay with the prime months of June, July and August (less chance of hurricanes or storms at sea), but you never know what climatic changes will take place. As far as an Inaugural season cruise, you may have some "snaffu's" like staff not being well trained, but these are to be expected. Usually they are a good value. If you don't expect perfection, your folks will have a nice voyage.
Bon Voyage
Old June 30th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Admiral

I signed up for the inaugural on the Coral Princess last December, but the shipyard didn't finish on time, so the inaugural didn't happen until early January. Princess gave me money back plus $500 credit towards my next cruise. Booked it for April and was happy with it.

The Island Princess (sister ship to the Coral) was scheduled in May (I believe) but is now enroute to its inaugural for the Alaska voyage (about July 12).

I've seen other posters that say inaugurals can be cancelled or that they have problems with things not being finished.

Depends on what month you're travelling. The posters above are right about the Atlantic and its seas.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012