Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2003, 04:48 PM
Michelle in PA

Default small # kids on cruise?

Hi,
I'm 25 and am researching ideas for a cruise vacation that I'd like to plan for late October (2003). I've been on 1 cruise before with RCCL and LOVED it... my boyfriend (who will be going with me) has never been on a cruise. In February, we did an all inclusive resort type deal and loved the fact that the resort was for 16 and over... no kids. I want to make a cruise as enjoyable as the all inclusive was, and was wondering what you all suggest for cruise lines, ship, and or locations that may have less young kids on them (or no kids, though i don't think a adult cruise exists?). At the same time, I also want to make sure there are some people in the 20-something range so that we don't seem so young. We're looking at 7 day cruises, and haven't really selected a specific location yet, though we don't want to spend thousands of dollars. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2003, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: small # kids on cruise?

Celebrity has a few "adults only" cruises. I would call them to get dates and then use the net to price shop before you visit your travel agent.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Michelle,
You may want to check into some Celebrity Adult cruises, they do a few of those, just not sure if they would fit into your time frame. Although, when you want to go is not any school break times, so there wouldn't be that many kids onboard anyway. Princess does limit the number of kids on each sailing, so thats something else to consider.

I'm sure there is a cruise out there that would be great for both you and your boyfriend.

You can also post in the "bargain finder" here at Cruisemates and see what some travel agents can come up with, its very easy and travel agents will e-mail you with prices and availability:

http://www.cruisemates.com/CF/bargfind/index.cfm

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:29 PM
Passenger

Yoiu may want to see if you can get an idea of the age of the passengers on a Celebrity Adults Only cruise.

If you go on an off peak time (no holidays or breaks from school) and don't take early seating you may be able to travel on any Celebrity or Princess ship and find few children. I guess it also depends on your itinerary. You might want to look into HAL or RCCL - I am not as familiar with them.
Old July 4th, 2003, 10:06 AM
David Starkey

Caution.....some of the adults only cruises can have a very "senior" crowd and you guys will be one of the "kids" on the cruise.
Old July 5th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Admiral

We try and go during the times that kids are in school and not during any times they can really get out such as right after school starts or just before any vacation times. Many parents won;'t take the kids out right after they start back or if they are going on vacation soon. You will still see the occasional kid running around but not really all that many. On the Celebrity cruise you might want to try and find out the average age as it will be on the older side and the activities reflect that as well as that generation. I know my wife and I did one cruise where the big draw was ballroom dancing and big band music of the 1940's. Not my generation and I'm no youngster. <G>
Jim

Old July 8th, 2003, 12:44 PM
LadyDymondz3

If you're in your twenties but don't want alot of small kids around...avoid Royal Carribean and Carnival ships like the plague. Celebrity's Adult only cruises are just that- adult only. But being in your twentties I don't know if you'll find a whole bunch of other 20-somethings on the ship sice Celebrity usually caters to an older crowd. I somehow don't think you'll enjoy Celebrity that much. I agree with Mike M. Try a longer cruise
Old July 9th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I think you would enjoy Celebrity just fine, but you might want to consider Princess, as they do limit the number of children and teens on their cruises.

Old July 9th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Admiral

My fiancÚ and I are in our twenties and we loved Celebrity. We also have fun on Carnival. It all depends on what you're looking for in a particular cruise.

Any cruise line would work; the trick to avoiding children is to cruise when school is in session. Our favorite time to cruise is September - early December. Avoid Christmas and New Years. January - early February is also a good time to avoid kids; then the schools start the wave of spring breaks, followed by post-graduation cruises, followed by summer vacation.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Post Edited (07-09-03 08:34)
Old July 20th, 2003, 09:23 AM
First Mate

Hi,

We cruised aboard the Carnival Triumph, western carribean in early December. The crowd was mixed, Seniors thru Young adults. Few children were around since school was in session.

However we did encounter some toddlers and infants. Not being of school age they travel anywhere anytime. As the other posters stated, avoid early seatings for meals.

Barb
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:57 AM
Admiral

We have shared our dining table with young newlyweds on Celebrity the first week of November. There were at least a hundred teenagers on the ship that week leaving out of San Juan. You would have thought it was a "field trip". They did not bother anyone but kept with their peers. We have sailed RCI in October and found only a handful of kids on board. Overall, it really just depends on when and what you can tolerate. You just never know. If you want disco, go RCI, If you want variety, try a new Carnvial ship Pride or Legend with 8 nights. And stay with your planned late October early November schedule.
Bon Voyage.
Old July 21st, 2003, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Once again, some great advise. Avoid Disney most definately. Princess limits the number of children & teens on its cruises. HAL caters to a more adult crowd. Avoid traveling during school holidays. There will be kids on just about any of the cruises you take, just not hoards of them (Carnival, Royal, Disney at school break times)