Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Default Power/Outlet strips, Question

Excuse me, but I want to know just what you need an outlet strip for? I've only taken 1 cruise so far but we only used one of the outlets (in our cabin) to recharge the battery for my camcorder. Lets see know, I recharged my razor before I left home, I don't need to recharge the cell phone, they supply a hairdryer, my travel clock runs on batteries. Please take this thread with a grain of salt, thanks

Post Edited (07-18-03 16:45)
Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Power/Outlet strips, Question

Let's see, I took a power cord on our last cruise and used if for:

Alarm Clock
Nighlight (we had an inside cabin and it was dark)
Charger for our camcorder
Charger for our digital camera (Kodak docking station charger)

Old July 19th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Umm....let's see, last time I cruised with another friend, we both had curling irons or curling brushes plugged in at the same time so they were hot when we needed them, (unless I want to bring an extension cord and run it in from the lone outlet in the room) these cannot be used in the bathroom as the outlet is only for electric razors), digital camera batteries that needed recharging, video camera batteries that needed recharging, my friend had a cell phone that needed recharging. Guess we did use it more than I thought we would...I would never cruise without one.

Old July 21st, 2003, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Mark, like others mentioned: battery charging, hot rollers and curling iron, etc.
A multi plug adapter worked great for us.
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:00 PM
Admiral

have yet to bring one on any of my cruises. I bring my own hairdryer and curling iron and have always used the outlet in the bathroom for the blow dryer and the outlet over the desk w/mirror for my curling iron.
Old July 21st, 2003, 02:17 PM
geauxLSU

Default Re: Re: Power/Outlet strips, Question

besides everything mentioned curling iron etc. I used a fan. A small fan that I brought because I like the noise and if my cabin was in a noisey spot it helps drown out outside noise, plus it keeps me cool at night in case I can't get the room to subzero like it when I sleep
Old July 21st, 2003, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Power/Outlet strips, Question

That's another thing I forgot...we brought along our walkman (CD player) and the adaptor so used the extra plug for that while our camcorder and digital camera was charging.

Old August 27th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cruiseaddict

Let's see...
4 girls x 4 blow dryers, 4 curling irons, 4 cell phone chargers, one cmcorder charge, two camera chargers, boom box, disco light (I am dead serious) = need power strip:o)

Old August 27th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Very simple answer to this question. Females. <VBG> Now before I get yelled at think. The ladies use all kinds of hiar dryers, curlers, blowers, irons, etc as well as often lighted mirrors, recharging the camera/batteries/etc. As for the razor, the outlet in the bathroom will work for that but that is all it is good for.
Jim

Old August 27th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It can be women and guys who have a laptop, camera battery charger and medical equipment. When it comes time for my wife to do her hair she needs both outlets for the hairdryer and the curling iron.

Some people bring electrical stuff with them and others don't. For those who do a power strip is a must and for those who don't it isn't.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Andee

Set2cruz, I've always wondered the same thing. We use the hairdryer provided, and don't take electric razors, curling irons, cell phones, camcorders, digital cameras, lighted mirror,s night lights, laptops, CD players. The alarm clock runs on battereis.
Old August 28th, 2004, 06:55 AM
First Mate

We would have been LOST without ours. Both my digital camera and his camcorder needed recharging at night. PLUS, we used our useless cell phones as clocks, they needed charging, my blow dryer, and curling iron. I'm sure glad we brought one.
Old August 28th, 2004, 09:40 AM
AR

I can't believe that Total Jackass has left this thread alone. In any event. . .

I'm tempted to list a bunch of even more outrageous and unnecessary things that require power, but I won't because I really don't find it funny anymore.

After reading these amazing posts, I'm truly surprised (and impressed) that the ship's power system can actually handle the amperage demands that some people place on it. Two curling irons per room times God knows how many rooms (and all just before dinner of course) certainly must keep the mice spinning on their little wheels down in the power plant.

I'd seriously be interested in knowing if any of you power players have ever kicked out a circuit breaker. True, many of the items you're using draw trivial amounts of juice, but things do add up. . .
Old August 29th, 2004, 10:03 AM
cruisingkandJ

I've wondered about what a power strip even was. I agree with Andee that you don't need to bring all that stuff.

J.