Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:58 AM
Yeoman

Default price drop

I keep seeing the recommendation to keep checking prices to see if there has been a price drop after you book. Where do you go to check? The cruise line's home page? Online travel agent sites? If so, do you just go all the way through the new booking process but stop at the last step? Keep calling your TA? After telling me that they would drop our price if the price went down, our TA told me that the price almost never drops after the cruise is booked. She wouldn't even bother checking when I asked. But I hadn't found a lower price trying any of the above either so maybe she just knew that the price hadn't dropped. Maybe the price just didn't drop for our particular cruise, or maybe she didn't want to get a smaller commission on a lower price. I don't know whether to use her again or try a different TA since she changed her story after we had booked. She did work hard to be sure we had everything we wanted pre and post cruise and made changes without complaint.

I tried checking all the above for a price change for our last cruise but didn't find any helpful info. Or did I not not look in the right places? We book early so we can pick our cabin location, so I don't want to cancel and rebook. But if a price drop is available to all, I do want to take advantage of it. Also, if you do see a lower price, how do you know if it is for everyone or just for new bookings?

Carnival Inspiration
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: price drop

Personnaly, I would not bother my TA unless it was for $100 or more per person. I check internet sites and just try to go through the process like a new booking. I check on icruise and other sites. I usually book 12 to 6 months in advance. I do not bother any person. If cabins are in my category near what I have booked (not a guarantee) are available & selling for a much lower rate, then I contact the TA and put it in her hands. On our last cruise which she had booked as a group thus giving very good prices more than 9 months in advance, we all received a $800 per cabin credit! Needless to say, she (the TA) had some very happy customers because of my efforts.
Bon Voyage
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Linda....Your TA works for you ...YOU pay her salary.

"...our TA told me that the price almost never drops after the cruise is booked...."

In 8 cruises, our price has ALWAYS gone down after booking. Sounds like you have a lazy/greedy TA IMO. Keep checking the prices yourself....don't depend on your TA to do so because it is not in his/her interest to do so. Linda, keep doing what you are doing and there is a good chance you will see the price go down prior to your cruise. REMEMBER when checking price ALWAYS check SAME cat..sail date..ship..check exactly what you have booked. Good luck!

Nana says....
Personnaly, I would not bother my TA unless it was for $100 or more per person

What??? Even if the price went down 25 per person..I would want the savings. Your TA works for YOU so if I ever got the impression that I was "bothering" a TA by calling them, I would find another TA. Of course, we don't use a TA ...been there done that and I am my best TA .

Post Edited (07-21-03 11:50)

Old July 21st, 2003, 12:43 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

Wow you sound tough, can you be my TA Auguste
Old July 21st, 2003, 04:02 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: price drop

I agree w/you Rick. Like you said, "when you know what you want" . . .Have experienced two cruises where a price dropped after booking. You have to watch for the drops yourself (I can understand this, as the agents can't be checking everyone's cruise everyday. But I'm jelous of the folks whose agents do seem to be very up on this!) First time I ever tried for an adjustment, I got it, no problem, by calling my T/A. It often seems, however, that after you book w/a particular agent a couple of times, the great prices seem to disappear and it gets harder and harder to get an adjustment. At least that's been my experience. Just booked a cruise through the same agent I used 2 mos. ago (even though it was about $34 per cabin cheaper w/a net only agency.) Then went to book a spring cruise last wk. and learned he had rec'd. a promotion and I was referred to another agent. That agent has not been all that prompt with quotes, but I figured what the heck. He must be busy. Finally did get the quote after calling again and leaving a message. THEN I checked a net only agency's better price and liked it. Called the new T/A again and left a message to " PLEASE hurry and get back to me. Have a price I hope you can match and I want to deal w/YOU. Have to book by this afternoon." So far, no call. His answering machine indicates he is in. It's been several hours, so he just lost 2 cabins. And there may be more. I, too, generally know what I want and don't want to mess w/it when I feel my agent is doing me some big favor! But unfortunately I have found that many of the agents of the larger companies with the best prices often DO sort of seem like they are doing you a favor to book you. So, I am booking w/the online-only agency today for the first time.
Also something to watch for, if the CRUISELINE itself lowers the price, you have a better chance of getting an adjustment. Many online agents try not to have to use a competitor's online price, saying it might not really be valid. But when you can back it up with the cruiseline lowering it's own price, you stand a really good chance of getting it. Stay on it. It MIGHT pay off!
Old July 21st, 2003, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Along the same lines can you keep checking the cruise lines site? Will their site show the price drops? Thanks

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old July 22nd, 2003, 09:08 AM
Admiral

If the price is reduced prior to final payment, you should get the new price. If not, cancel the old reservation without penalty and rebook with a better agent, that is working for your best interest. If she won't work for you, get a new agent that will. There are many out there that will gladly help you/
Old July 22nd, 2003, 09:39 AM
Yeoman

I was beginning to wonder the same thing Rick.
Thank you everyone!