Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Passenger

Default birth certificate / marriage

Has anyone sailed recently using their birth certificate and is know married so the last names do not match ? Does this cause a problem and what do you need to prove that this is you

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: birth certificate / marriage

Hi Afro,
I got a passport a few years ago and its made traveling so much eaiser, you may want to think about appling for one, here is a link to get you started:

http://travel.state.gov/passport_easy.html

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:16 PM
clem

I worried about this, and sent for an origianl marriage certificate to show this. Guess what? No one ever questioned why the names were different. I never had to show my marriage license. I too will get a passport next time. Check with your cruise line just to see what they say, but I doubt you will to show your marriage license.
Old August 5th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Admiral

i use my birth certificate and driver's license and have yet to be questioned as to why the names are different
Old August 5th, 2003, 10:57 AM
AR

Get a passport now and there is no issue.

You can believe that as security concerns become more and more of an issue (whether justified or not), you'll be required to have a passport almost everywhere--if for no other reason than our friends (what's left of them) and neighbors increasing their requirements to match what we are requiring of them!

By the time your first passport expires in 10 years, you won't be able to get away with inferior forms of international identification, so you might as well do it.

AR
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Kathy & Dave

Before I went down with my application, I called to see what I needed and they didn't mention having a marriage certificate. When I got there, someone else waited on me and refused to process it without the certificate. So I called around and got it at the town hall in the town I lived in when we got married. When I went back again with my application, a different person waited on me and said I didn't need it - only if I had been married/changed names several times. I got stressed over nothing! I had my passport 10 days after I applied (I did not request expedited service, just got lucky). This was just one month after 9/11.

You might want to call first and see what they say. I guess they don't all have the same training????
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:02 PM
char Hempler

I carry my Birth certificate and marriage license and drivers lic. with me in an envelope. that way when ever i need it it is right there. easy to grab out of my fanny pack and hand it over. I put my husbands in an envelope also and he puts his in a shirt pocket. That way it is all ready also. We get through the lines very easily.
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Nope, didn't cause me trouble but I did bring along my marriage license in case they needed to compare.

This time (march 2004 cruise) we're getting out passports. Much easier.

Old August 5th, 2003, 11:38 PM
First Mate

I brought my marriage license on both my last cruises along with my Driver's License and Birth Certificate. I was never asked about the different names at all and never asked for a marriage licenses. But this time I will bring it again because you rather be safe than sorry.

Old August 6th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Yeoman

I just cruised in May and took my marriage license since I used bc and drivers license and they never questioned the different last names and didn't ask to see my ml. I guess when they saw a man next to me with the same last name they assumed that is why my bc and dl had different last names.

Luanne

Old August 8th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Admiral

Take the marriage license. Better to be safe than sorry! I've cruised 5 times and they never asked but I always had it. One more piece of paper will not matter to carry.
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Captain

I talked to Carnival last night and was told...you SHOULD have proof of each time there is a name change. Sounds like a good idea.....but I feel sorry for those that have been married a few times........

Sensation

Old August 8th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Admiral

I always bring my marriage certificate, since I don't wear a ring I have to prove to those single women I'm NOT available! <wink>

Regards,
Thoms