CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Which Bahamas Cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/242335-bahamas-cruise.html)

famtravler August 25th, 2003 08:08 PM

Which Bahamas Cruise

Hello,

Quick question. My husband and I are starting to plan for a Bahamas cruise from Port Canaveral in February 2004. The travel agent said that Royal Caribbean's Soverign of the Seas was scheduled for maintenance in February and would not be sailing. Then, she said maybe the ship was just full . . . . she just couldn't get us on. Has anyone heard of maintenance for the Soverign of the Seas in February? Other choice (for a short 4 day cruise) is Carnival's Fantasy. Which would be better??? Suggestions?? Favorites???

Thanks for help!

Thomas August 26th, 2003 12:14 PM

Re: Which Bahamas Cruise

Hello Famtravler, I believe Sovereign is going through some renovations this fall, but that information was from the last cruise I took on her which was Labor Day last year. That info may be dated by now.

We take these 4-dayers out of Canaveral fairly often. They really suit our lifestyle and budget. Our preference is the Fantasy over the Sovereign. Each has it's own individual assets, but overall we prefer Fantasy.

Sovereign gets good grades for the Viking Crown Lounge (great place for drinks and the bartenders will let you run a tab so you don't have all those stupid receipts to sign) and it's stop in CocoCay versus Freeport. The poolside midnight party is also a great attraction.

Fantasy gets good grades on size of rooms, ship layout, food and service. The selections for dinner are more varied and the quality, we believe, is better. The shows are better too (these do change over time so it may not hold true the next cruise). The drink prices are higher though.

I doubt you'd have a bad time on either cruise. I mean where else can you get pampered and fed and taken to the islands for 4 days for under $400.

BTW, if you want a balcony cabin you will have to sail on the Fantasy. The Sovereign doesn't have any.

Regards,
Thomas

Post Edited (08-26-03 12:17)

mibrown12 August 26th, 2003 09:52 PM

Re: Re: Which Bahamas Cruise

I have done the Fantasy and loved it, the entertainment was the best on the Fantasy out of my three cruise. Piano Bar guy next to dinner room was the best!!
Any questions email me. Please put something in regards to cruise so i dont erase

DanaB August 30th, 2003 09:29 PM

I'm getting ready to go on Sovereign this week, I'll be back on the 12th and will try to find out from my crew friends on the ship. It is very possible that SoS will be going into dry dock for some renovations, since she is 15 years old.

Dana

LisaK September 2nd, 2003 10:58 AM

only drawback - 4 day cruise-February = "spring breakers" (fyi)- Carnival seems to attract more than other cruise lines.