Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Cheryl Zahn

Default 7 Day cruise/ Carry-on luggage?

My husband & I are going on our 1st cruise. I am very concerned about loosing our luggage on the way to our ship, because we have only 1/2 hour between flights on different planes -on the way to Fort Lauderdale. As it is, we will be getting to port at noon & the ship sails @ 5pm. Can't change flight without steep penilty. Can we pack and go with just a carry-on bag, using the tip I read about using Vacume bags & Zipplock bags. Has anyone ever done this? How much does it cost to have laundery done on board. Our ship the Oosterdam does't have self-serve laundry, but does have it available to passengers through the ship. I know I can carry on a purse also. So HOW BIG can my purse be?, I'd love any suggestions & help. Thanks in advance for your help. Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:34 PM
char Hempler

Default Re: 7 Day cruise/ Carry-on luggage?

That would really be pushing it But I am sure where there is a will there is a way! A big purse I would say! Also your husband can carry a camera case too...... Put make up and meds in there along with maybe underwear. You just might be able to pull it off....... Good luck Happy cruising... By the way Travel the day before your cruise. It saves all the hassles and rushing...... Char
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Cruisingocean

Check with your cruise line - I know Carnival has self service laundry rooms. I did have my luggage lost once and it caught up with me 1-1/2 days later when we reached our first port. So at least pack a few outfits in the carry on! Check with your airline for the dimensions of your carry ons.

Good luck!
Old August 26th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Admiral

The policy is that if it fits through the x-ray machine, you can carry it onboard with you. Same type and size machines that you see at the airport that check your carry-on's. If it won't fit throught that machine it has to go through the porters. Now that said understand that the airlines may have a differant story and they may have something to say about the weight as well. Those bags work great but understand that they can become VERY heavy so if you have overweight bags on the airline it will cost you.
Jim

Old August 26th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Cheryl Zahn

Thanks for the advice, I have about 105 days to figure this out. Hope to go to court house and file for passports this week since it is highly recommended. I'm convined from the meesage boards & reviews that we will have a great time no matter what.
Old August 27th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Admiral

If you are worried then i would suggest that each of you have a carry-on bag, pack a couple of changes of undies,1 pr shorts,& t-shirt, swimsuit, and a pair of docker's type pants, and a couple of polo type shirts. When traveling travel in a pair of docker's type pants a nice shirt and a blazer & a pair of casual shoes - let's see that gives each of you- 2 pairs of pants, 3 shirts and a blazer = 5 casual nights. Pack the bulk of your clothing in your checked baggage and hope your luggage makes your connection. If not it should catch up to you within a day or two, you can always purchase shorts or a t-shirt on the islands.
Old August 28th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Cheryl Zahn

Found a site called Cruise Diva, She said it can be done , She did it on a 14 day cruise, but Im not sure if it was before all the new regulations. Is there a Walgreens / Walmart we could stop at between Fort Lauderdale Airport & The port where we could pick up a nail clippers / sewwing kit, or needles, or get them on board the ship?
Old August 28th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Cheryl, there is a grocery store and a pharmacy about 5 minutes from the port terminal. It would be much, much cheaper to buy your basic essentials on shore.
Old August 28th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: 7 Day cruise/ Carry-on luggage?

Like someone said, it is much less stressful and more convenient, to travel to Ft. Lauderdale a day before your cruise. This way if the airlines don't get your luggage to you when you land it will be delivered on a later flight the same night (usually). You don't have to worry about what to put in the carryons, if your luggage will make the connections, etc.

If this is not possible, you can consider shipping your luggage by UPS in advance. It's not too expensive and you'll know it's there for you.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 28th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: 7 Day cruise/ Carry-on luggage?

If you arrive in FFL at noon you will have time to get to the ship as it should take no more than an hour travel time between FFL and the Port of Miami. Even if there are major traffic delays you should be fine. The half hour between flight connections is touchy however and yes it can be done if everything is on time and the plane changes are not on the far other side of the airport. <G> The airline whill keep your luggage going from one plane to another if you booked a fare completely through them but if you bought seperate tickets for differant segments and need to collect your own luggage, you will not make it.
Jim

Old August 29th, 2003, 01:59 AM
Cheryl Zahn

Thanks everyone for all the info. We can't change flights but I will know better next time and come in the day before (If I can talk my husband into doing this again.) I will possibly ship one piece of luggage to arrive the day before, but it may be a hard time of year since so much is shipped by UPS In Dec. I have the will to make this work, so I will find a way! Thanks Thomas, Also I think I will take LisaK idea and pick up a nail clippers, & needle @ a local store on the way to the ship, I'll pack some thread with me. Jim, I did book directly through Northwest so they may have to play cacth -up. I also have travel insurance I bought when I booked the Oosterdam out of Ft. Lauderdale so hopfully all that is covered. Thanks again CYZ