Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2003, 12:57 AM
mlbcruiser

Default Rebooking question

We booked a March '04 RCI cruise about a month ago (with Cruisequick), not stopping to think that we could have booked it WHILE on board our Nov. '03 RCI cruise to get an onboard credit in March. (I only recently learned you could do this.) We then could have transferred the booking to whatever agency we booked with, yet still qualified for the onboard credit. Are we just out of luck now, or is there some way to redo this whole thing in order to get the onboard credit? (I don't think the price of our March cruise has gone up much yet, however by Nov. this could change.) Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Rebooking question

Let me ask you this, what was the difference in price between what you paid at your travel agent and what the cruise cost onboard.

By the way - I'm just curious why you went out of the way to mention who the cruise agent was - it doesn't make any difference to the circumstances of your question. Just curious...

Post Edited (08-27-03 09:29)
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Admiral

The incentives are made to get you to book while you are onboard the ship. You cannot get what they offered as an incentive immediately while onboard at a later date.
Jim

Old August 27th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Admiral

the incentives are for new bookings only, there is a risk here that if you cancel your March cruise booking to do a new booking in November while aboard you may not be able to get the cabin you want, the price may not be what you are looking for. How much shipboard credit are you talking about? what about cancellation fees? weigh the pros & cons.
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:31 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: Rebooking question

The only reason I mentioned the agency is because everything is handled by internet w/them and there is no way to speak to an agent. They are good about answering emails but thought perhaps someone who might see this had dealt with them before in this area and might know how I would handle this particularly with them. If I were to cancel in order to get the credit, I would want to transfer the booking BACK to them.

Re: the onboard credit, I have no way of knowing yet what it would be since I am not on the Nov. cruise yet! Generally I have heard they run $l00 - $l50 or so. And maybe more for people booking pricier suites, etc. We never thought the future cruise prices RCI or Carnival offered on-board passengers were very good. And since we had no idea in the past that we could book while on board and transfer the booking to an agency offering a lower price later, we never did it.

Re: price. If the price of the March cruise does not go up very much between now and Nov., we would be getting more for our money to get the credit. There are no cancellation fees in our particular case should we decide to cancel this time. As for the cabin choice, we merely have an inside cabin for 2 and I'm sure those will still be left in Nov. We PROBABLY won't pursue this at all, but I did want to ask incase anyone had ever done this and hear their experience. Thanks very much for your replies.
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I truly believe that the onboard credit for booking a cruise while onboard is only available when you book a cruise on board. (Boy does that twist the tongue! lol) It is an incentive for you to book at that time. I have never heard of anyone getting that particular credit when booking after the cruise is over. It is a "perk" offered by the cruiseline. What I have done in the past is made an "open booking" - put the deposit down and get the credit, but after the cruise is over, look at what I want to do and when, and then transfer the open booking over to my TA. I therefore get the shipboard credit for booking onboard and any deals and shipboard credit the TA has for that particular cruise.

Old August 28th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Rebooking question

LIsa is correct. You can ONLY get the onboard booking credit if you book onboard. That is the rules and your agent can't change that. They may have other options and/or deals that they have available to them that may or may not be even better. Best thing to do is to talk to your travel agent. As you said, you can't because they only work via e-mail. This is why I cannot recommend this agency and would never personally deal with them. You should be able to pick up the phone and call himk/her for anything you need and sometimes you need this info fast and may not have access to the Internet when you do, such as stuck at the airport, arriving and finding no or bad documents, etc, etc.
Jim

Old August 29th, 2003, 01:53 AM
mlbcruiser

I did email the agency we booked w/and recieved a very prompt reply, as I have re: other questions. They advised me of how to proceed (there is a way to rebook without unbooking). Assuming the price hasn't gone up too much, it might still be advantageous to follow through on this once on the next cruise.

And Lisa, am I misunderstanding you, or can you deposit while on board for your next cruise without even knowing which ship you will be on, deciding upon that later? Do you just have to pick any ship or any date, and then change later on, or leave it truly "open"?
Old August 29th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

What I did on my last Princess was cruise truly an open booking - I paid the $100 deposit and they gave me a booking number (without specifying a ship and date) - when I finally decided on the cruise I wanted, I gave that booking number to my TA and she in turned booked the cruise and gave me a new booking number. Very simple and easy. I have heard conflicting reports on whether you can still do this or not, but I know you can also book a specific cruise and put the deposit on it and then change your mind and switch to another ship/itinerary after the cruise after you turn over the booking to a TA.

Old August 30th, 2003, 10:24 PM
mlbcruiser

Wow, that IS a great way to take advantage of the perks associated w/booking a future cruise while on a cruise! Definitely something I'll keep in mind. The open booking as you were able to do would certainly keep the customer coming back to the same line to get the onboard credit. Generally we have never known our exact plans for a future cruise, but on this next cruise we will. Thanks so much for your explanation and response.
Old August 31st, 2003, 08:46 PM
Yeoman

why can't you go ahead and leave what you have booked now, then if you see a wonderful bargain on board with a good ship credit, just book it and cancel your other cruise when you get back since there will be no penalty . Then transfer the booking from the ship to a TA and you should still get the OBC. Is there a reason why you want to use cruisequick for sure? We had good luck by posting a message on "Bargain Finder" here on this website. We had booked a cruise in May while on board the Norway for June 2004, got the OBC and a good price. When we got home, we couldn't find anyone to beat the price, so we posted on bargain finder and got a reply from a TA who we now have transferred the booking too. We still get the OBC and she will take care of us from here on out. I realize it might make you a little nervous having two cruises booked at once, but as soon as you get home you can cancel the first one, since you said there would be no penalty.

Luanne

Old October 10th, 2004, 01:23 PM
riverhill

I will be on NCL crown incoming December and would like to book NCL Star for next summer in Alaska. Do you know how much pnboard booking credit I can get? It is per person or per cabin?

Thanks.

Jay