Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Kids cruise prices

How do cruise lines justify charging almost the same for a small child sleeping in the same room as the parents and eating next to nothing compared to an adult?

Has anyone questioned this before? Help!
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Kids cruise prices

On our next cruise (Carnival Inspiration) my daughter (who will be 10) was charged 1/2 of what we were charged for the cruise. I thought that was reasonable.

Old September 4th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Delron,
Usually the 3rd and 4th in a cabin with 2 full paying adults is discounted. In most cases its a very good deal to take along the kids for those prices, but you do need to add the taxes and port charges, but still its a good deal. We also have always tipped the regular amount when traveling with our kids, they are as much or more work for the staff.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 4th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wouldn't mind half price on the kids. Some of the quotes we have seen on Carnival are for US$125 less than the full price for the 3rd and 4th person sharing the room with 2 adults.
Old September 5th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Admiral

I've read where the cruiseline's have calculated the food cost at $13 per person per day. Because your kid only eats 1/2 of what you eat doesn't cut their costs much at all. But all the other expenses associated with moving your family through the islands still apply.

The mechanical staff is still repairing plumbing, electrical staff replacing wiring and light bulbs, housekeeping is vacuuming hallways and wiping fingerprints off elevator doors, cooks are cooking, towels are being laundered, clerks are displaying wares in the shops, photographers are clicking away, entertainment staff is performing, etc. which has nothing to do with the age of the guest.

The other consideration to make is the adults will probably generate some more revenue in alcohol sales, where as the child will not.

Regards,
Old September 5th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Admiral

It's like that industry wide and not just Carnival. Quite frankly what are paying for a 3rd and 4th does not quite cover the costs of the passenger. They make it up in sales of other items such as drinks, gambling, spa and tours. Look at hotels, they charge a certain amount and so much for each additional person and they don't distingush prices because of ages either. Overall you are still getting a tremendous price for your cruise and if they based it on what the profit line is for each person without considering other income sources you would be paying lots more for everyone probably.
Jim

Old September 6th, 2003, 10:54 AM
p.g.

Remember that the "kids clubs" are usaully free and here a child in a similar program would be charged aprox. 7-8 dollars an hour per child! Then there is all the food children don't eat! You know what I mean the food they load on their plates at the buffets and they after 3 bites they say " I'm fulll"
BUT, most important to me and from my own personal experience was the 24 hour a day help my cabin steward was , constantly cleaning our cabin and bringing extra towels, and this with lego and hot wheels all over the cabin floor. We cruised with a baby and a 2 year old( not a great experience lol) and the work it entailed to keep that small cabin reasonable must have kept our cabin steward hopping!
It is exspensive to cruise with kids( for some of us) although I know there is good $ value in the cruise. We have 3 kids now so all those extra charges put a cruise for the whole family out of reach. I do wish they made more cabin that had connecting doors instead of those "family cabins" it would be cheaper to get two insides than one " family cabin, but our youngest is still young enough that I don't want us seperated .
By the way have you noticed that alot of the posts where the posters talk about bringing their children seem to be mostly parents of only children.Is that because of the prices do you think?
Old September 6th, 2003, 01:11 PM
AR

I looked at some prices, and whether or not you get a big discount seems to depend a lot on what kind of room you book. Kids prices seem to be relatively constant across the cabin categories (in some cases the same across the board), so naturally those who book balcony cabins and suites get a better "deal" than those who book an inside room. By "deal," I mean that the kids fare is much cheaper--in relative terms--than the adult fare in the more expensive rooms.

Makes sense to me, actually. Once they sell the room for two adult fares, adding the ankle biters costs them pretty much the same no matter the room category.

AR
Old September 8th, 2003, 01:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Kids cruise prices

OK, I see what you are saying about kids having to pay. there are programs for them, etc... What I'm saying is that the room is paid for with the two adults, the kids are just profit. But the problem I'm having is that i'm getting charges a surcharge because I have a 3rd and 4th guest. I'm booking a cruise for 8 adults and two children (my kids). The total price for the whole package is $200 more for my ticket and my husband's because we have a 3rd and 4th guest, even though the 3rd and 4th guest also pay (just as much). When I total the 4 tickets and average it, the total is more than the other adults are paying for a cabin with only two guests. Does that make any sense??
It'll be cheaper to buy 4 adult tickets (2 cabins) than 2 adults + 3rd and 4th guest!!

Carnival Victory
Jan 18/04
Old September 8th, 2003, 08:06 AM
David Starkey

Often RCI or Celebrity has sailings when kids 3/4 go quite cheap. I know as we have taken our kids with us on at least a dozen cruises. Some time the fare was $150-250 plus port taxes. Princess has usually been $500-750 plus port. Select your sailing dates and destinations carefully as these are often the key to getting the reduce fares.
Old September 8th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Kids cruise prices

"How do cruise lines justify charging almost the same for a small child sleeping in the same room as the parents and eating next to nothing compared to an adult?"........Delron.

This is your original post, maybe you could explain it further as I'm now confused. Are you saying you are paying more for the children than the adults? Such as the adult's price is $1000 per person and the 3rd and 4th person in the room is, say, $1200? Are the kid's prices "just as much" or "almost the same?" Please help.

To think the kids are riding along at no cost to the cruiseline is not correct. Every passenger on board contributes to the wear and tear of the ship and it's systems. Every time the toilet gets flushed the plumbing system is one flush closer to it's expected life. Everytime the bed sheets get washed it's one wash closer to it's expected life. Every step taken on the carpet is wear. Everytime the door is opened and closed the latches and hinges are wearing away. And they don't care if it's an adult or child.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 8th, 2003, 10:10 AM
AR

Delron, I'm with Thomas. I really don't understand what you're saying.

It looks like you're saying that the per person cost for 3rd and 4th passengers (kids) in a room is greater than for passengers 1 and 2 (adults). Anything is possible, but I've never seen this happen, and just looking at prices on the net, it certainly isn't common.

I think it's pretty clear that cruise lines encourage family cruising for one reason only: to attract passengers with kids that they could otherwise never sell. This makes it a marketing principle to welcome kids into their parents' rooms at a price that usually just barely above their cost (and Thomas and p.g. are absolutely right--there are many more costs than are readily apparent).

If you don't mind showing us some numbers I think it would be very interesting to see what's happening with you. If you're truly in a position where an additional room would be cheaper, I think you need to talk with your agent.

AR
Old September 8th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Kids cruise prices

We're travelling from Canada, so the prices include airfare and cruise and are listed in CDN dollars. This is what I've been quoted. A cabin with 2 adults is $1561.00 per adult. A cabin with 2 adults and 2 children is $1720.04 per adult and $1449.44 per child (to a total of $6338.88 which when averaged is more per person then what the adults without children are paying). I'm not saying that children shouldn't pay, I'm asking why they need to pay almost as much as an adult. Why do the adult fares go up by $200 when bringing kids who are paying almost as much as the adult without children?
Do these numbers make sense?

Carnival Victory
Jan 18/04
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Delron, does the price include taxes, port charges and port taxes? that would make sense of the price difference. Taxes and charges are figured per person regardless of age.
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

the prices include all charges.

Carnival Victory
Jan 18/04
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Admiral

I would say that the airfare drove the price for the kids up. ???? Something aint right.

Old September 8th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

no, the air is the same, it's the room that goes up almost $200 per adult.

Carnival Victory
Jan 18/04
Old September 8th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Admiral

No, something is not right. It's not the cruiseline setting these prices. The 3rd and 4th in a room is always discounted, unless something has changed. Because this is what you can do. You and you're husband book two rooms. Dad and kid in one, Mom and kid in the other. You save money and get two rooms. When you get on the ship, Mom and dad sleep in one room, kids sleep in the other.

Cruiseline is out one room that they could sell to two more adults who may drink, gamble, and buy shore excursions. See? It doesn't make sense for the cruiseline to do this.

Talk to the TA, something is not right and I'm with Rick, it's probably the air fare.

Also, what cruise and what date are you on? If it's far enough out to where you can cancel it without penalty then you can post it on the bargainfinder feature on this web site.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 8th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

we haven't booked yet. these are the prices that we've been quoted, and it's not carnival' s prices, it's the canadian wholesaler's. And yes, we've decided, that if we can't find better prices on a different ship or cruiseline, that we'll just book two cabins, with 4 adult tickets.

Carnival Victory
Jan 18/04
Old September 8th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Delron, I'm glad to hear you have not booked it yet. Try posting the cruise you'd like on the bargainfinders feature on this web site and see what the TA's can do for you.

Incidentally, I just checked on icruise.com and randomly selected the Carnival Victory leaving Miami in November and for this 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise the adult price was $801 and the child price was $140, this is for a balcony cabin, category 9A. In fact, the $140 child price was the same for all categories.

Good luck.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 8th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

It can't be the airfare as it is our own tickets that have gone up in price. We are told it is a surcharge by the Canadian wholesaler. Any Canadians out there that have encountered this before?

Here is what we have:
Carnival - Triumph leaving Miami Jan 17/04. Cat 4 inside room.
Other adults travelling with us Cdn$ 1,561/pp (all in price incl. airfare)
Us sharing cabin w/ 2 kids Cdn$ 1,720/pp
Our 2 kids sharing cabin Cdn$ 1,449/pp

We are paying Cdn$159 more per person for having the 2 children share the cabin with us. That's what doesn't make sense to us.
Old September 8th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Admiral

The wholesaler is mixing up the numbers. I'd ask them to check them again. They can't be right.

On icruise.com the current fare for that cruise is adult $474 ($650 Canadian) and child $310 ($425 Canadian) for that category.

So putting the calculator to work it looks like you can book that cruise through icruise.com and have a total for the tickets (not taxes and fees though) of $2150 Canadian. That leaves a total of $4188 for airfare and the taxes/fees from the $6338 you were quoted. I think you can get the four of you to Miami for that and have some left over.

Good luck.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 8th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kids cruise prices

Hi Delron,
Those prices you quoted, really don't make sense at all, I keep checking around and do what Thomas suggested and post in the "bargain finder" here at Cruisemates and see what you can get....its certainly worth a try, good luck.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 8th, 2003, 03:41 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kids cruise prices

I agree with Donna and Thomas sounds like they know the ropes and you are getting ripped off.
Old September 8th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Admiral

It sounds like your "Wholesaler" is giving you the shaft. Those are pretty high prices compared to what can be quickly found at many Internet TA websites, even converting the monies into CDN. Do what some have suggested, post your own ad on the Bargainfinder right here or go to the Cruise Bazaar area and check one of the agencies that actually advertise here. We try and make sure they are the best we can find and reputable.
Jim

Old September 9th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Kids cruise prices

ok
check out carnivalcruise.ca, look for carnival victory out of miami on jan18 to western caribbean with air from calgary. Check out the adult price $1547.00, now look for the 3rd and 4th guest, it's 1563.00. Am I seeing things?? I tried the same on Carnival.com but I couldn't find the price for 3rd and 4th to compare, I only found 1st and 2nd (staring at $549).

Carnival Victory
Jan 18/04
Old September 9th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Delron,
Quite frankly I would use whatever agency came up when you entered your postal code. They are a travel agency that books CCL cruises and not part of CCL themselves from what I can see. Check out the advertisers featured here on the website and see what any of them have to offer you. I'll bet they can do better and explain everything you want. Advertisers listed here in the banners and at Cruise Bazaar are all legally able to sell in all 50 states and I believe Canada and a number of agencies are not. Also we try to ensure that only the better agencies are allowed to advertise here, that is just good business sense. We don't get any cut or fees if you use any of them either, just provide a place for you to find them if you want. Your choice.
JIm

Old September 9th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Delron,

I've checked for you and this is what I've found.

You can book this cruise, category 4A, through icruise.com and the charge for each adult is $650 (Canadian) and each child $424 (Canadian).

On Travelocity.com airfare for four people, Calgary to Miami, connecting in Dallas, American Airlines, leaving at 6:55 a.m. arriving in Miami at 5:09 p.m. on Jan. 17 (one day early) is $669 (Canadian) per person and the return flight is Jan. 25th.

This total then is $4824. ($650 x 2 + $424 x 2 + $669 x 4)

This is $1514 less than you're quoted price by the wholesaler. Now, keep in mind the cruise fare I found does not include the port and taxes, I'm sorry I didn't go that far into it. But I also only checked those two sites for the cruise fare and air fare. You might be able to get a better price by checking some other sites. By all means, at least post your request in the bargain finders here.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 9th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

thanks Thomas
We're in the middle of booking one, I'll keep you posted. It just ticks me off that I can't contact a canadian carnival office that could explain the difference between prices between travelling solo and travelling with 3rd and 4th guest.
Old September 9th, 2003, 11:09 PM
anita kennedy

I think I would let Thomas be my TA and book for you,sounds like he is doing a great job for you. Way to Go Thomas.