Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2003, 04:28 PM
n2hairstylz

Default I DIDNT KNOW...

Ok,Guys, My husband and I are leaving on our cruise on Sept. 26. Today is Sept. 10.I was talking to my travel agent , and I asked her if I need my drivers liscense,she said that and my birth certificate, I was shocked I did not know that I needed one My husband or I have a copy, so Iran down to registars office and sent for one, The clerk there told me good luck this late IM SO STRESSED,got home after that my agent called and asked if everything went ok, I told her time will tell if Ill recieve it on time, THEN she told me Ill also need a MARRIAGE CERT, ow Ive been looking for this all afternoon
Will Irecieve my birth cert. on time, do I have to have my marriage cert,Im really sweating it HELP.I thougt every thing was done We are going on star princess,mexico rievera
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2003, 05:03 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: I DIDNT KNOW...

Where I live in Louisiana we can get a birth certificate the next day. You better keep checking with them if it is coming in the mail. Did you just recently get married and your driver's license has your maiden name? I did n't have to bring marriage cert.
Sometimes there are services that cost more but you can get the birth cert overnight also. Guess she didn't suggest a passport either. Good luck.
Old September 10th, 2003, 05:25 PM
First Mate

What is required for proof of citizenship?
U.S. Immigrations determines the correct documents guests must have in their possession in order to travel. Proper travel documentation is required throughout the cruise and is the responsibility of the guest. Anyone not having proper documentation will be denied boarding at the port of embarkation without the benefit of a refund.

U.S. security procedures require all airline and cruise line passengers 16 or older to present official photo I.D. upon check-in.

The following documentation is required in order to sail on ALL cruise departures, including Cruises-to-Nowhere.

U.S. Citizens

Passport, valid or expired less than 10 years
Original birth certificate and a photo I.D.
Certified, state issued copy of a birth certificate and a photo I.D.
U.S. Military I.D., valid or expired, and a photo I.D.
Original naturalization papers and a photo I.D.

Canadian Citizens

Valid passport

U.S. Resident Aliens

Valid Alien Resident card (green card) with photo I.D.

Aliens (Non-U.S. Citizens)

Valid passport
Valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa
Aliens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must have a valid unexpired passport

Debarking in Mexico Over 24 Hours

To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure. Additionally, if debarking with children, guests must have a notarized affidavit from any absent parent indicating permission to travel with the accompanying adult.

Special Notes:

1 - A photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age or older. The photo I.D. does NOT have to be issued by a Driver's License Bureau or any type of Government office.

2 - U.S. and Canadian Citizens only - As long as the original birth certificate or the certified copy have been issued by the state of birth, it does not matter whether there is a raised seal of if the birth certificate is in the form of a plastic card.

3 - The name on the photo I.D. must be identical to the name on the proof of citizenship document. In the event of a name change, supporting documentation is required.

4 - Resident Aliens - Must surrender their green card at embarkation. It will be returned at Immigration check-in upon arrival back into the United States.

5 - Aliens (Non-U.S. Citizens) - Must surrender their passport at embarkation. It will be returned at Immigration check-in upon arrival back into the United States.

6 - For cruises that visit or transit Canada, citizens of some countries may require a Visa. This includes Alaska cruises and cruises from New York. Guests must check with the Canadian Consulate for documentation requirements.

7 - U.S. Resident Aliens and Aliens - Should contact the consulates of the islands/countries which they will be visiting to inquire about necessary travel documentation.
Old September 10th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi N2,
Something else to think about for that next cruise, getting a passport, best identification you can have. Here is a link with all the info, you'd also need your birth cirtificate to get one, so with some luck you will get that in time for your cruise. I've never taken along a marriage certificate, especially with a passport, thats all you need.

Have a wondertul time on Star!

http://travel.state.gov/passport_easy.html

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 10th, 2003, 06:57 PM
n2hairstylz

In Calif. it takes 14 days to recieve a copy of my birth cert,Ive been married 25 years,and a marriage liscence is required, they told me that this is all due to 911,Im an american born citizen my hubby too,will I get my money back from the cruise if it dosent get here one time,and should I just go to board without it,This really put a hole in my sail
Old September 10th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Kathy & Dave

Definitely go for the passport when you can. When I went for my passport, I called ahead to find out what I needed. When I got there, they refused to process it without a marriage certificate. I called the town hall for the town I lived in at the time, they looked it up to make sure they had it, I sent them a check and had it within a few days. When I went back for the passport again, the person at the counter said I didn't need the marriage certificate unless I had married several times so they could verify the name changes! All that stress over nothing!

Call the town hall...maybe they will take a credit card payment and expedite it for you!

Old September 10th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Geez..........here is another panicked cruiser.

Now I know it is the responsibility of the passenger to verify the travel documents needed to travel, BUT............you expect the expert to inform you of what you need, right? I mean you are paying the TA for their expertise and they bear some responsibility, IMO.

This makes me sick, folks. Here's a cruiser who went to a travel agent expecting to buy a great vacation and now may miss out on it as well as lose her money.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 10th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Eric
Default Re: Re: I DIDNT KNOW...

This happened to us on our first cruise.
But after several calls to the State Capital they sent my birth cert. overnight. It cost us an extra $40.00 but well woth it.
We live in Virginia so I don't know how your state will act.
Persistance pays off Keep calling until someone helps you.
Good Luck we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.
Eric
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Dolores

We just recently booked our 1st cruise to celebrate our anniversary.When I read that I would need my birth cert. I was sure I had it, luckily I went to the box and checked because there was a corner ripped off and it happened to be the corner with the raised seal. I live in Fl now but was born in N.J.. I went online to see how to get a copy quick.I found www.vitalcheck.com you can order from any state and if you are willing to pay 32.00 you can have it in 8 days. Hope this helps.
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Admiral

I don't understand all of this, i have yet to have a problem going to City Hall, the clerks office and picking up a copy of my birth certificate right then and there. As for the marriage license thing, again i have not brought mine and have not been questioned. I asked my TA what we needed and she said that a valid driver's license (school picture id for kids) and a raised-seal copy of birth certificate was fine. Since we don't travel a lot out of the country she didn't see the need for the extra expense of a passport.
Old September 11th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Passenger

Amazing.

If you look in the back of any cruise brochure, it states that it is the passenger's responsibility to ensure that they have the correct documentation (and this can include documentation about vacinations!!) together with visas where required.

In Europe it is almost unheard of that a person over the age of 16 does not have a full passport. Before the age of 16 they can be inlcuding on their parent's passport. In the US it is unusual for somebody to have a passport. Why? Flat earth syndrome? ID cards are all well and good whilst within the US but absolutely useless once you go abroad. A drivers license is also useless.

Look at the name of the document ...... 'Passport'..... you need it when you pass through a port........ on the way to another country...... be it through an airport or a sea port.

As a couple of posters put......... Best document to have is a Passport. It says who you are and not what you can drive.

It doesn't end there. You also have to LOOK at your Passport and check that it is VALID. It must not expire whilst you are in another country. Visitors to the US from (say) Europe must have a Passport that is valid for 6 months beyond the date at which they enter the US.

Travel Agents are able to advise you of what documentation you require - and that can include details about vacinations and a whole host of other things. Eg. Some countries you have to prove that you have a ticket taking you out of the country (such as an airline ticket) or, that you have sufficient funds to support you during your stay. It's not rocket science, but the rules and regulations change frequently and just because last year you only needed X does not mean that this year it is the same.

Pete
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:03 AM
AR

Lordy, lordy. . .

And some people who post here get bent out of shape when we tell them to just get a passport and keep it current.

One major quibble with what's been posted in this string: jedgar writes. . .

----------------------

The following documentation is required in order to sail on ALL cruise departures, including Cruises-to-Nowhere.

U.S. Citizens

Passport, valid or expired less than 10 years
U.S. Military I.D., valid or expired, and a photo I.D.

----------------------------

Sounds nice and official, but it's wrong on the face of it. It says that any one of the bullet points will be OK on ALL cruise departures. That's baloney. Do not, for example try to sail to Europe with a birth certificate and photo ID. You need a bloody passport, period, and a valid one at that. Some people tend to assume that ALL cruise departures are to Bermuda, the Caribbean, and maybe Canada.

People, if you're reading this board you're at least mildly interested in cruising. Do yourself a favor and get a passport even if you don't have a specific cruise booked yet.

AR
Old September 11th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Amen AR. You cannot travel to other parts of the world, sans the Caribbean, without a passport.

Of course you can travel to Florida with just a driver's license, but soon we will be requiring you to fill out an application first.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 11th, 2003, 12:15 PM
AR

Thomas:

That's OK, just as long as the application isn't a punch card.

AR
Old September 11th, 2003, 12:50 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Re: I DIDNT KNOW...

he he lol,
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Ok, now I'm confused. We both have passports and our drivers license. Does this mean we also have to bring birth and marriage certificates?
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Golden,
No, if you have a current passport, thats all you need. Travelers without passports and just traveling with a birth cirtificate which would be in the name before they were married may want to bring along their marriage cirtificate, but you won't need that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Passenger

Donna,

Thank you. I was beginning to panic a bit myself! Lol...

Jeanne
Old September 11th, 2003, 08:08 PM
AR

Passports trump everything. That's the whole point.

AR
Old September 12th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: I DIDNT KNOW...

Hi

If you're travelling from Canada, all you need is your passport right?
My 2 and 5 year old have one (I have to reapply for my 2 year old, since she's changed so much in the last year, they just change the picture for free) and so do I and my husband. My sister never changed her name on her passport after she got married so she has to take her birth certificate and her marriage license, but I think the rest of us are ok just with passports.
Old September 12th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Passenger

I think we're getting nearer to realising that people need to have a passport if they are going abroad to another country. It's been a hard slog but hey, it's worth it.

Just one word of warning though. This business of name matching. People often get confused about what to do when they get married and assume their husband's name.

The golden rule is: Make sure that the name in your passport matches the name on any travel documents you have. If they don't match - you don't travel. It goes further. Suppose your name is Caroline Brown in your passport and on your airline ticket it is printed as Carolyn Browne - it does NOT match and many airlines will turn you away at check-in. When you make a booking with an airline check check and triple check that the name is spelt correctly. Once a ticket is issued (printed) you can only change the name if you are paying a full fare type of ticket. Apex tickets etc do not allow ANY changes once the ticket is issued (printed).

Going back to marriage, just because Caroline gets married on September 12th to Michael Foster - she does not have to assume the name of Foster that day. She goes on a honeymoon cruise to Australia as Brown. The booking made 6 months before was in the name of Foster and Brown - and that's what counts.

But - you get some people (<sigh>) who insist on assuming their husband's name directly upon marriage. And, they booked their cruise for Mr and Mrs Foster - yet her passport says she is Brown. Then she DOES have to take her marriage certificate with to prove that she was Brown and is now Foster. Why people have to complicate it I don't know.

Tip: Write down your passport number and keep it somewhere safe.If you lose or have your passport stolen abroad, having the number will save you stacks of hassle. Better still, make a photocopy of your passport. It does not allow you to travel but it will help in getting a replacement passport. If you are in Australia trying to get back to the US and you do not have a passport - you are not flying. Airlines get fined if they allow anybody to board without correct documentation. Currently in the UK the fine to the airline is about $3200....... and they don't like having to pay that.

Speaking of losing or having your passport stolen. Passports are worth a lot of money on the black market. Especially US or European ones. Don't take it out shopping with you unless you absolutely have to. The one time you may find that you need it out shopping is when you cash travellers checks. Some places ask you to produce your passport as proof of identity. Also, if you are making a very large purchase using a credit card, you may again be asked for your passport.

Speaking of credit cards - usage of cards in the US is so widespread and considered almost like cash. In Europe some countries rely much more on cash and people offering to pay a $5 bill with a credit card will get some very funny looks. Some places even apply a minimum of $15 (or so) on credit card purchases. Also, when you make a purchase by credit card, the card gets swiped - and it is NOT handed back to you until the whole transaction is completed. This is to a) Wait to see if the card is flagged up as stolen (in which case the vendor gets a bounty prize!!!) and b) they really do check the signature matches.

Sorry - I'm off topic.

Pete :o)
Old September 12th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Myriam

I went on a cruise recently from NYC to Bermuda. I'm Canadian married to an American. All I needed to show was my Canadian passport. Everything went smoothly. No hassle, head ache free. Sorry to hear other people had a harder time.
Old September 12th, 2003, 04:54 PM
KathyC123

If you go to http://lavote.net/ you will find information in the County Recorder section of the website on getting emergency copies of birth, marriage and death certificates. Hope this helps.

Kathy C.
Old September 12th, 2003, 04:58 PM
n2hairstylz

Passport does me no good,Ihave to have a birth cert,in order to process a passport,,
Old September 12th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to riwehr

does the hospital birth certificate work as well?? It has a raised seal.
thanks

oh yeah- I will be getting a passport for my next cruise!! Seems to be a lot simpler and less stressful!!

Carnival Ecstasy

Old September 12th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Yeoman

Lisa,

I wonder if the reason why you have been able to get a copy of your bc right there at your city hall is because it might be the capitol of your state? In Nebraska you either have to go or write to Lincoln (capitol) where all Nebraska births are recorded. If all states are that way then you have to wait for it to be mailed or drive there in person. My husband was born in Ft. Benning, Georgia and we live in Nebraska so I had to go online and send to Atlanta for his. We got it without any hassels though.

Luanne

Old September 12th, 2003, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

It is definitely different from state to state. In the state where I live you can go to the county courthouse and get a certified copy - don't have to travel or deal with the capital city.

Old September 13th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Carol & Richard

In the UK, children now have to have their own passport. It used to be possible to include under 16s on their parent's passport, provided they were trevalling together - for solo travel the youngster had to have their own.

However, this has now changed. If the passport is older than about 5 years, it is still OK provided the child is still under 16, but new passports can no longer include children.

My father used to have all three of his sons on his, and gradually shed us as each reached 16 - I was the last, and having reached the ripe old age of 56, have just acquired my fifth.

Richard
Old September 13th, 2003, 08:47 AM
n2hairstylz

Thanks Mike.Im crossing my fingers,
Old September 13th, 2003, 11:26 AM
char Hempler

I know this doesnt help you now, But your TA is not doing her job if you werent informed of all the info needed. First trip to my TA and she told us just what we needed to take with us. All paperwork she sends us tells us to be sure to have all id with us. Good Luck on getting all you need in time. Next time get a good TA..... Char