Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:36 PM
dayna

Default dunns river falls with kids?

i was wondering if there were stairs or another way to enjoy the falls, as I would love to see them, but my children are 3 and 6. They could never climb 600 ft of waterfall. Please let me know if this is possible to do with young children. If not any suggestions. We will be on the Carnival Triumph in April.

Thanks Dayna
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: dunns river falls with kids?

I'm planning on going there with my 2 and 5 year old girls. Any advice or suggestions out there would be apreciated. I know about proper shoes. Do we have to climb up the falls or is there a spot at the bottom where we can stay and maybe still enjoy the water?

Carnival Victory
Jan 18/04
Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We've climbed the falls a number of times, and have seen some very small children climbing.
Along the way there are a number of places to "jump out" and follow the climb on a stairway, if it's getting too steep.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Yes, you do not have to climb the falls. There is a walkway with steps along the side where you can "watch".

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old September 25th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Passenger

I couldn't imagine children that age climbing the falls....I was 40 when I did it and slid off the slippery rocks and got my foot stuck in a hole, but I loved every minute of it. I couldn't imagine young children trying to go up those falls. We of course did not want to take a guide, so maybe it is possible for small children to go....I think it would be more fun for them to watch at the lookout points for one of there parents to climb them.
Old September 25th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Admiral

as the others have said there is a stairway that goes up alongside the falls, there are couple of view spots on the stairs where you can look down on the folks climing the rocks, it is great fun, but its not for little children. If you or your husband wants to climb the falls, one of you can stay with the kids, walk up the stairs and yell and wave from the platforms
Old September 28th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Passenger

I climbed the falls with a 6 yr old, and two 7 yr olds. they had a blast. even wanted to climb them again!!!
Old September 28th, 2003, 11:21 AM
ladi

I have climbed the falls, and will be there next week to do it again. children of all ages were climbing but in my opinion they are to young. definately wear water shoes as the rocks are covered with moss in some areas and can be very slippery.
have fun
Old September 29th, 2003, 08:13 PM
dayna

Default Re: Re: dunns river falls with kids?

Thanks to all for your info. As I said I know they are too young to climb the falls. I am just so glad there is a stairway so we can all enjoy it in some way together. Has anyone dome this excursion with the dolphin encounter. My 8 year old niece would love that. Please let me know if it is worth the money.

Thanks, Dayna
Old October 1st, 2003, 05:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

we are planning a cruise possibly in 2005 and taking our children and our grandchildren. their ages will be 12,11,8, and5. i had a hip replacement and do not plan on climbing the falls. i do know from talking to friends that there is a place to sit at the bottom and enjoy the falls as they cascade onto the beach, correct.. my question is, our friends mom bought the entire family water shoes at home before they got on the cruise, and are the shoes we could bring from home appropriate and accepted by the law as it is required, at the falls site. i under stand the shoes have to be quallified and a certain kind. i also understand the shoes they sell at the sites are quite expensive and for a party of 8 it would be pricey for this one activity. also regarding another aspect of thisactivity, our friends mom also arranged for transportation for her crew of 18 ahead of time here at home, from cruise ship to falls with a driver and van she has had arrangements ovear the years of cruising to this spot. third question is about the trip out to the reef on the cayman islands to stingray city. is this appropriate for my grandchildrens ages mentioned above.? how deep is the water? how safe is the actual activity? is it worth it and also what about the trans. from ship to excursion site boat? thanks patty
Old October 5th, 2003, 10:49 PM
p.g.

First I've ever heard about "certain kid of shoes" we just wore the cheap ( five dollar) water shoes we got at 'Walmart,NOT flip flops which would fall off too easy. They should be the kind that you pull on andare stretchy and snug. You could also use cheap runners ( the canvas or material kind) if you don't mind them getting wet. Sandal are also not a good choice.
Never been to stingray city but have read many posts regarding how great it is, I think all your grandkids would love it except may-be the five year old will be too young( short), I har the water where they do the encounter is about chest high on an adult.She/he could just sit in the boat and watch though, also some little kids( a grown-ups too lol) just get freaked out and won't go in the water, it's a personality thing and your grandchild may LOVE and have to sit on someones shoulders to enjoy it( a big brother??)
Don't sweat the shoe "law" it's just a rule that they want your feet covered and in a non slippery type shoe, any store has them cheap( it may be harder to find in the winter) Have fun and check out the "excursion and Ports boards" for more good info!!
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Admiral

don't worry about the shoe issue, the water shoes you have will be just fine. Your grandkids will have a blast at the falls, the 5 yr old might be a bit to young to climb the falls,its a judgement call on the parent's part,. As for the stingrays, again the kids will have a blast, make sure you go to StingRay City Sandbar. The water here is about waist deep on me and i am 5-5" tall. Kids will love this, there really is nothing to be afraid of, just make sure they listen to the dive master. I had a huge male, brush up against me and swim through my legs, it was sooo neat. Feels like a something is tickling your legs.