Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:29 PM
Cruisingocean

Default Name misspelled!

How strict is immigration/Carnival about the exact spelling of your name. My first name has one letter different. On my birth certificate and carnival documents its spelled with an "e". On my DL and SS Card its spelled with an "a". Never been a problem before because I never needed to show my birth certificate for anything. The name is Manu"a"l or Manu"e"l.

How detrimental do you think this is. The last and middle names are correct. Too late to really get anything corrected as we leave on the 4th of October.
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Name misspelled!

What about getting your DL fixed to match your birth cert? The ssn is not needed.
Old September 24th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Admiral

You need to go to the Drivers License place and get your DL to reflect your real name which is Manuel as indicated on your birth certificate. The documents and your birth certificate match which is what they should do. Other ID should also match your birth certificate unless you have had a legal name change and can prove it.
Jim

Old September 24th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Jim, just to add in our experience ...

Art's birth certificate reads: Joe Arthur Carapia (the dodo nurse/clerk misspelled "Jose") ... anyway ... we always book him under Arthur Carapia and have never had a problem with just the birth certificate and driver license.

Of course, it's common with hispanics to have either Jose or Maria as their first name, so maybe they understand.

But you're advice is probably the best bet -- especially if there is time enough.

Harry
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Jim is right. It's not the cruise documents that must be changed. For now, it's your driver's license that needs correction. If your birth certificate and DL and docs all match, you'll be OK. After your cruise, it would be a good idea to get a U.S. passport. With a valid passport, you can avoid any problems like this in the future.

You should also have your Social Security records amended as soon as possible to reflect your true name. I can't see how your SS records can be wrong, as an original or certified copy of your birth certificate is required to obtain a SS card in the first place. Regardless, you should take steps to correct the record without delay. Good luck!

Jack

Norwegian Dream
Baltic Sea, Aug.'04

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas