Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2003, 12:47 PM
12oclockblue

Default skyauction.com?

I've been to www.skyauction.com a couple times checking out cruises for December and just wanted to get any feedback on purchasing through that site-- I heard a couple things about it that seemed to be positive, but I just wondered if anyone else has bought their cruise through them and what experiences they had. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: skyauction.com?

I have used them a few times, but never for a cruise. If you are flexible you can score some fantastic deals. The main drawback is you lose 'creative control' over your agenda, such as flight times, room types (or in your case, cabin location), and available dates. Another gripe about them is customer service is all handled via e-mail, which can be a dragged-out, frustrating process. There are some really good bargains, especially on the short-notice packages, but sometimes when you add in all their fees and surcharges, it turns out not to be such a steal after all. Just know what you are getting and what the same deal would cost you through other sources. Good luck!
MaryC
Old September 25th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Admiral

I would not book any cruise with any agency that I could not call up and talk to personally. In addition make sure that you count all the 'hidden' charges that they add on. Skyauction also cannot sell in Florida due to their sales practices about not listing all costs up front, which is something else you need to keep in mind. I would stick to a real travel agency that you can speak with a rep on and that will give you the total cost right away and up front..
Jim

Old September 29th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Lady Di

Hi! Everyone that has posted all have very valid points. The biggest thing is to know how much you can get the same cruise for at discount sites, and make sure you add all the fees in for a valid comparison. I just scored a Galaxy cruise from San Juan to Baltimore INCLUDING airfare to San Juan for $450pp from them. THAT was a great deal! The way that I look at it is if I get some great deals on skyauction, saving $$, then that is more money that I have for other cruises on newer ships that I book through my TA, and where I can have more control over. and as far as only communicating via e-mail, they have always responded quickly, within 24 hrs.

Anyone else used Sky auction? Would love to hear others' input!

Di
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:09 AM
W770496

Default Re: Re: skyauction.com?

I have won three Auctions, but I never seem to get the cruise for the date that I want. They always say the date I requested (the date without the additional fee attached) is not available to select another.

I find it very frustrating!
Old October 1st, 2003, 09:52 AM
12oclockblue

So if I have a specific date that I need, is it very difficult to get that date? I'm in school and can't just go on a cruise whenever it strikes my fancy. Most of the cruises I am interested in have no extra date surcharges-- does this make a difference? If I win and they reject my date, I have to choose another? That definitely won't work...
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: skyauction.com?

Sometimes it says in the description if it is for a specific date, or a range of dates. They will also specify if there are surcharges for certain dates. If they can't accommodate your request and you are within the parameters of the deal, you will not be charged at all.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 01:43 PM
Mike D.

Whenever I have checked this site, the auction is for an inside cabin - maybe even a 1A!
Upgrades were always more than I thought they should be thru a TA (mine, at least).