Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Alcohol in luggage?

So many posts recommend bringing a plastic bottle of booze in checked luggage for drinking in our room. This is definately something that we're considering doing.

This is our first cruise so please excuse the ignorance, but I have a few questions...

When we get off the plane, what happens to our luggage? Do we pick it up at baggage check and bring it to the ship ourselves, just like if we were staying at a hotel? Can I buy a bottle in San Juan (our embarking port) and sneak it into my luggage before we get to the ship?

Is bringing a bottle in our carry-ons not a good idea? Will the cruise line (Celebrity) be more likely to check our carry-ons? Can we board the ship, get aquainted with where we are, etc and then buy a bottle when we go back on shore to explore San Juan? Can I bring a bottle on board in my "I'm-a-tourist-totebag"?

What are your best recommendations? Sorry about all these questions but I like to be thorough!

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Alcohol in luggage?

When you board the ship in San Juan you will not be able to then get off the ship to explore. Once aboard you will have to stay aboard. The embarkation process is to load the passengers.

You will have to retreive your luggage from the airline and take it to the port with you. This is the time to buy the bottle and stash it in your luggage. You could put it in your luggage at home but it's not recommended.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 26th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Thomas has the right idea. FYI if you get "caught" the cruise line will take your liquor away from you, that;s the main reason to "smuggle" it in with your checked baggage.
Old September 26th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Not sure about Celebrity, but on Princess you can send yourself a gift of booze and it will be in your cabin.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old September 26th, 2003, 09:56 PM
thechad56

Ok my 2 cents we always get it and put it into sprite bottles and but them into plastic bags and then back them in the checked bags hard or soft lugage made no difference to us make sure the bottles are as tight as you can get them we have done this atleast five times and we have never had any trouble yet.
Chad