Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Default Why a Separate board 4 Gay?Lesbian?

Have often wondered why Gay/Lesbians need a board dedicated to gay adults. Does'nt this say they are different? What is different about gay/lesbians that would'nt allow them to glean cruise knowledge from the adult cruise boards? We all seek equality and I think that having a different board sends the wrong message. Maybe I am not expressing myself well....and I am not trying to "stir the fire"....since coming to cruisemates, I have often wondered why there is such a segregation
on the boards.. Thanks.

Post Edited (09-30-03 17:32)

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Why a Separate board 4 Gay?Lesbian?

Maybe to make it easier to find information particular to your situation? There is a family board where those cruising with families can get advice and tips from others who cruise with their families; there is the disabled board where people who have or who have loved ones with disabilities get support and advice. Singles have their own board as well. All these groups have issues that are unique to them.

Old September 30th, 2003, 08:58 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Why a Separate board 4 Gay?Lesbian?

If that is the case then we should have a heterosexual board, a board for heterosexual people to meet other heterosexuals. I don't consider gay/lesbian "special needs."
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Classification is just that: singles, gays, families, handicapped, teens, etc.

Although I rarely post on the gay/lesbian forum, I support such a forum because it makes it easier for people to find information in which they may be interested. Nobody is forced to visit any area that has little or no value for them. It's that simple.

As an example: Gays often do not get equal coverage when they buy vacation protection insurance. A gay/lesbian forum may help them to share the information needed to make a wise purchase and not waste their money on a policy which may likely offer no coverage in the case of a life partner's death or illness before or during a cruise.

Or a prospective first time cruiser may be afraid of blatant discrimination and hatred that may be experienced on cruise ships. They may not know that cruising is generally (but not always!) hatred free for gays and lesbians.

There is nothing "special" about equality. Sexual minorities do have different issues from the rest of the traveling public. That fact alone makes a forum such as this a valuable resource for gay, lesbian, and trans-gender cruisers.

Thank you Cruisemates for seeing the need. This is one of the reasons I feel safe and free to post my thoughts and feelings about cruising on these forums.

Many people use this kind of question as yet another excuse to put down gay and lesbian people.

I guess people should also ask themselves why they think putting others down somehow makes them seem more important.

Perhaps an even better question would be why does it bother some people that gays and lesbians have a place to discuss their travel plans?
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Stuart Bond

Nobody's FORCING you to post only on the gay/lesbian forums....if thats the case, why the hell is there a teen forum? there are always going to be classifications but as long as you are not forced to stay within your "classification" then whats wrong with different forums....they're there for convienience.
Old September 30th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Admiral

I think that Chuck explained the reason very well. Thanks Chuck, you stated the reasons perfectly.
Jim

Old September 30th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Chuck...your statement ....."Many people use this kind of question as yet another excuse to put down gay and lesbian people." Obviously you are seeing something in my question that I don't see.

Jim, I don't think Chuck explained anything "perfectly". But this is'nt the gripes board so I won't pursue this question .

Stuart..thank you, I understand your point.

Old September 30th, 2003, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Rick - I don't think Chuck specifically meant you with that statement....you know some people will take a subject like this and feel free to say/post things that are derogatory.

As a frequent single cruiser (if I can't find a friend or two to go along), I appreciate having that board to ask questions on.

Anita - I don't consider families or singles or teens "special needs" - but they have their own boards.

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:47 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Why a Separate board 4 Gay?Lesbian?

Anita,

There is a heterosexual board, it's called the "Singles" section.

richard
Old October 1st, 2003, 06:46 AM
gogetter

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Why a Separate board 4 Gay?Lesbian?

Hello,

Heterosexual board is the singles board? Why couldn't singles be gay or teens to disabled?

Anways i think Lisa explained it great the first time.

And.....whatever...just post. Go to whatever section you want and find the appropriate information. It is pretty easy.
Old October 1st, 2003, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Who's talking special needs here? What are special needs? Can't everyone be a candidate for some, any, special need?

Why don't Canadians have their own board? They have funny looking money. And they shiver a lot.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think the answer to Rick's question is fairly simple. Gay/Lesbians make up a "fairly" significant segment of the cruising population because they generally have a fair amount of disposable income.

Of course, they also fit into many of the other classifications of our message boards.. i.e. singles, families, meet on board etc., but they also have questions, concerns etc more specific to what they may be looking for in a cruise.

Old October 1st, 2003, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Thanks Lisa, Chuck, Kuki and Jim for once again explaining the reasoning behind such forums as "families," singles" and "gay/lesbian."

And to further answer Rick's question: "What is different about gay/lesbians that would'nt allow them to glean cruise knowledge from the adult cruise boards?"

I know from personal experience that I was slightly nervous about our first cruise on a maintream line as to how we would be accepted. I was pleasantly surprised that it was with little or no raised eyebrows. I doubt any straight couple would have this concern.

Moreover, on one cruise, the ship's photographer refused to take our photo at dinner because it would appear with a heart super-imposed over the shot -- this even we said that it would be fine. I sincerely doubt this would happen with a straight couple at dinner.

Or, how to broach the subject with the cabin steward that you would like the beds pushed together. Would a straight couple worry about his/her reaction?

I hope you can see that like with other groups of people, there are concerns that gay/lesbian cruisers carry that others do not.

By the way, we always find it funny that we are always seated with groups of women traveling together. On our cruise on the Spirit, we were greeted by a trio of very attractive women from Rhode Island who were thrilled that they could have a good time at dinner and not worry about someone making the moves on 'em. We had a blast ... one night when the photographer came around, we paired up for "couples" photos with Art with one woman and me with another. (We rolled laughing on the "trick" we played on the photog.)

Harry
Old October 1st, 2003, 02:45 PM
UGH

PEOPLE..........GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Thanks to everyone for answering. I understand now. Thank you.