Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Default Getting to Southampton for QE2 sailing

Do any of you have any information on the best/easiest/least expensive way to get to Southampton to board the QE2? I'm taking my first QE2 sailing on 12/15/03. Which London train station is best? Are there any dedicated "boat trains?" Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Getting to Southampton for QE2 sailing

Hello!
I live near London so know a bit about the trains etc which run around the South East of England. I think there is a direct train which runs from London Waterloo down to Southampton. As far as I know there are several non-stop trains per hour, and I think it will probably take about one and a half hours. I would expect the cost to be about 30. You should be able to check for sure on qjump.co.uk, where you can book tickets and get prices etc.

However, you could also take a coach (eg National Express) which will take you from Victoria Station straight down to Southampton Harbour. I think it will be slower but I imagine it will be half the price of the train fare! And it will take you right near to the harbour.

Hope that is helpful, enjoy your cruise!
Old October 6th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Getting to Southampton for QE2 sailing

Actually, the coach station is only a little nearer the port than the train station, (I've not heard of coaches for the harbour itself - if they exist, my apologies<g>) so it doesn't really make much difference : you can walk to the 'sea front' from the coach station, butthe ships seem to dock at one end of the port or the other - I wouldn't like to walk it esp. with luggage.
I assume taxis wait at the coach station as well as the train station - I would think it would cost less than 5 from either (more likely 2 or 3).

Karen